Boomerang Plus Phrase Sampler / AxeFX Effects Loop

mgavin

Experienced
Hey guys hoping i could get some help w/ hooking up my rang into the effects loop, and being able to switch to another patch and solo over my recorded phrases of a previous patch.... I searched for it and found a previous thread but it didn't really help and i don't think the other guy was using XLR out so i'll break down my situation for ya!

i want the rang in the effects loop of the axefx because i use xlr output to my atomic reactor so i don't get ground loop noise. I believe the rang is hooked up properly into the effects loop...

here's my rig;

guitar -> front of the axefx -> Output 1 XLR to Atomic powered wedge

Output 2 (left) -> Main In (boomerang) -> Main out (boomerang) -> Input 2 (left on axefx)

do i have to put an effects loop block at the end of my signal chains in the axe fx? i did this and didn't adjust anything w/ partial success...

I'm confused because I can't hear myself playing my loops as I play them, only after they have been recorded and i hit play, then when i switch to another patch on the front of the axefx the loop just stops.... do i need an efx loop on my new patch, (every patch?) anyways could someone break it down for me? :D

THANKS -mg

Last edited:
Yea you will need an Effects Loop block in each patch. Where ever in the chain you put the Effects Loop block is where the signal will leave the Output 2 and also it is where anything plugged into input 2 will return to the chain. If you put the Effects Loop block at the end of the chain it will send it's signal to output1 as well as output2. Try branching the chain off from the end, plug a cable from output 2 into the rang, rang output into AxeFx input2 then put shunts to bring the Effects Loop block to the end of the grid.

to branch the chain select the block you want the second branch to come from and hit the enter button, a block will start to flash, then use the Nav buttons to highlight the target block in the row you want the EffectsLoop block to be on, it will become the flashing block, and hit enter.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply dude! what do you mean branch it off from the end though? place the efxloop block like a space above from the main line at the very end?

hey i figured out branching chains but is there a specific place i should place the efx loop block? i guess that's what i'm wondering! also any idea why is the efx loop is much quieter than the input 1?

Last edited:
Where you put the loop block determines how much of the complete chain of effects, amp block, cab block etc. are sent to the looper. And it determines what part of the chain of effects etc. the returning play back signal coming from the looper is sent through before they come to your speakers.

I'm guessing you want to be able to hear the whole chain so that, for example, you play a crunchy rhythm guitar part and loop it to play over then change presets so your lead guitar voice is a different one...clean...very dirty..etc. without having that change effect the sound of the recording playing on the looper. So with that in mind you want the Effects Loop block at the end of all the other blocks so the looper will record the full sound with all it's effects included for playback. Put the Effects Loop in that same place for all your presets.

If you have the Effects Loop block at the end of the chain in all your presets, when the looper is playing back, you won't have to hear the recorded sounds run through any effects in the preset you have switched to to play your second guitar part. So if you had delay on the first part you don't want it to play back through a second delay on your lead preset etc. that is why you probably don't want it in the middle of the preset like you would if you were running the AxeFx in a 4 cable mode in the loop of an amplifier.

As for the volume difference, the Output 2 control on the front of the AxeFx is the volume for the signal being sent to the looper (assuming you are using Output 2 jack to feed the loopers input) so it might just be a case of increasing that control...or turn up any input volume on the looper.

Last edited:
got it working, funny how it's a delicate balance of 3 output and 3 input volumes combined haha

I'm trying this exact method for my rang but getting no signal from the looper out to the speakers. Signal is getting to the looper and back to the axe as the input 2 light are jumping with the audio signal just no volume of the looper signal to the speakers. does the effects loop have to connect back into the original chain? I just have it out to it's own line on a straight path to the out. I'm going from the rang back to input 2 on the rear of thee axe. Do I have to change a setting on the i/o screen?

nothing on the input out screen, just efx loops in your patches and it should work, make sure all your volumes are up as well

here's my rig;

guitar -> front of the axefx -> Output 1 XLR to Atomic powered wedge

Output 2 (left) -> Main In (boomerang) -> Main out (boomerang) -> Input 2 (left on axefx)

Thanks mgavin...that did it. Have you ever tried to run in stereo? The signal is mono now but through both speakers. I'm going:
guitar -> front of the axefx -> Output 1 stereo out to qsc k12's.
Output 2 (both L/R) -> Main Ins (boomerang both L/R) -> Main outs (boomerang both L/R) -> Input 2 (both L/R on rear of axefx)

In the effect loop send, only Bal 2 controls the signal balance. Going hard left sends all the sound left, center is both speakers, hard right is no sound. I'll do some more searching on the forum now that I'm getting sound. I've tried adjusting the the input 2 select among stereo, LR Sum as well as the output 1 mode doing the same and toggling the copy out 1 to out 2. OK, off to research...

When all else fails check the cables...had one on the out 2 partially unplugged. All good now and I'm stereo looping away. The axe and rang are an amazingly powerful combo. Thanks for the help!

cool i have no experience w/ stereo i will be purchasing another powered wedge but for now i'm mono, i also need to get a small problem w/ my current wedge fixed as well. i'm looking forward to my rig basically being a pair of wedges, the rang, an mfc101, and a few expression pedals. :D

Playing the axe in stereo is a thing of beauty. Stereo does not work as well in a band situation but for solo stuff it is awe inspiring. If it's just guitar and vocals, it's really golden.

I experimented all weekend with the rang in the effects loop and have gone back to just running out of out 1 in stereo to the rang then the rang outs to the speakers. Having to adjust the output 2 knob in conjunction with output 1 knob was a little more juggling than I wanted to do. I could not tell any sonic difference between the 2 methods so I opted for the simpler solution.

Do you use an expression pedal to adjust the volume on the boomerang? I was happily surprised that I could just plug my Roland EV5 and it works perfect for that.

The rang and the axe are an incredibly powerful combo. I've always had trouble singing while guitar playing anything rhythmically challenging. Fingerpicking and singing forget it...everything goes off the tracks. I'm envious of people who can effortlessly does both at the same time, as that ability has always eluded me. The Boomerang has opened up another entire part of music for me performance-wise.

Back
Top Bottom