Book Suggestions for Teaching Guitar

Genghis

Power User
Hi everyone. A friend of mine has a daughter that is interested in learning guitar, and while I've been playing for 35 years and know quite a bit of theory and technique, I've rarely tried teaching. I'm looking for suggestions on a decent entry level guitar book that I could use to coach her through the basics, and then be able to elaborate from my own experience as she progresses. He says she has been singing and has a great voice and would like to start playing guitar to accompany herself, so it would probably be pretty much teaching her chords and then maybe getting into some songbooks that she could use to learn songs to play and sing.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have on helping me get organized. Would really like to encourage her to develop her talent.

There's the Mel Bay Modern Guitar Method ("You hold the pick in *this* manner...."). It's world-famous and what I started on back in the 80s, but the material is painfully dated by today's standards. For a little kid it might be a good starting point, though, especially if she wants to read standard notation. For middle school and older the student would probably get bored.

Thanks. I think she's a bit older. Haven't seen her in a couple of years, but I think she was getting close to teenage years then. I'll search Amazon too and look at reviews. Had good luck with finding a couple classical books for my self there.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Forum Runner

Hmmm. Might have to get that Guitar Handbook for myself. I'll look at it a little more later, but first glance it looks like a good one.

For beginners I use my own material, but I also use the Mel Bay Guitar Method Grade 1 as a starting point. It
' so easy I have to augment it with a lot of other material. But I use it because it's so easy.

Hmmm. Might have to get that Guitar Handbook for myself. I'll look at it a little more later, but first glance it looks like a good one.

When I was 13 (15 years ago) I checked the book out of my middle school library (idk if i even had a guitar at the time)
I basically checked it out for a year.... i photocopied pages, took notes off of it...copied diagrams...

It laid the foundation for my entire professional guitar career and life...

It goes a lot further too- How to mic an acoustic, what 'string guages' are and what they mean, care/maintance, theory/scales, charts/chords,

most of all it goes a lot further- going over the latest techologies (of the 80s) like guitar synths and multi effects... and it taught me how to use a mixer and set up a PA system and the different parts of one.

Micing a band/monitors... it's the greatest book ever... if someone wants to play guitar and be in a band- it basically gives you all the knowledge you need

stringing/recording/all styles/quotes.... it's amazing.

and a great resource and refresher- still relevant today.

Back
Top Bottom