Bonamassa Rig Rundown

These are always a lot of fun to watch! Love the latest rig! I get to hear it in November when he comes to my town! I have to say I'm happy he put some Marshalls back into the mix! And more effects. I loved his big blues band rig but like this one better. Going to be a great show.

I wonder if anyone on this forum ever tried (dared...) to mimic Bonamassa's sound with an FM3... Of course that is almost impossible, but at least getting something similar would be great. Any pointer to presets/suggestions that could help getting close to his (amazing) sound?

I wonder if anyone on this forum ever tried (dared...) to mimic Bonamassa's sound with an FM3... Of course that is almost impossible, but at least getting something similar would be great. Any pointer to presets/suggestions that could help getting close to his (amazing) sound?

When you look at the range of amps behind him, I really don't think a single FM3 will mimic his sound - unless you had 2 or 3 FM3s! He does do a nice blend of the amps in stereo using a chorus pedal (weird but works really well).

I was lucky enough to meet him backstage at the Apollo through a friend, and it was simply mind blowing hearing all that incredible tone coming out of those amps.

When you look at the range of amps behind him, I really don't think a single FM3 will mimic his sound - unless you had 2 or 3 FM3s! He does do a nice blend of the amps in stereo using a chorus pedal (weird but works really well).

I was lucky enough to meet him backstage at the Apollo through a friend, and it was simply mind blowing hearing all that incredible tone coming out of those amps.
Yes, of course. But still, he can sound great also with a basic rig; there is that famous video (Joe Bonamassa's Gibson Les Paul tone tips guitar lesson) where he shows that quite well. Maybe that is a more reasonable target...

He’s one of those guys that is going to sound great on anything. Those guys piss me off lol. Take the 5F8 for instance. He loves those amps. I can’t make the model sound the same as his amps. I doubt I could make the real amp sound like him either.

Sounded almost Eric Johnson-like in some places… volume helps with that. Thought it was funny the he mentioned Eric right as I typed that. Lol. Ok, so we all agree Eric is in there. And I totally agree on the EVs. I used 12S speakers for years, and they are round, not bright!

Like a guitar dream shop.

I have dialed in his settings on the 59 Twin but it doesn't sound like his. Two of the problems are I play through headphones and not at the insane volume these amps have, and he uses custom made for this amp speakers. I haven't found an IR I'm really happy with with this amp. The matching Fractal ones are from Keith Urbans which he changed as well, and I hate those.

I have dialed in his settings on the 59 Twin but it doesn't sound like his. Two of the problems are I play through headphones and not at the insane volume these amps have, and he uses custom made for this amp speakers. I haven't found an IR I'm really happy with with this amp. The matching Fractal ones are from Keith Urbans which he changed as well, and I hate those.
Just tested a bit with a 5F8 Twin Bright amp + 4x12 Rumble cabinet with EV-12Ls and the result is interesting. I need to try it at a decent volume and of course need tweaking a bit more. But sounds like a good start...
I wish I has a 2x12 cab with those speakers... seems hard to find.

I must say he does appear to have a good fun nature. And his phrasing is stupid good. Nice video.

I thought he was using the EV’s for his Marshalls. Is he using EV’s in the Twins?
No. He didn't like them in the Twins, so he had Celestion make him some custom speakers for his Signature version Fender built for him. They were only sold on his website and I think they were $3500.

Back
Top Bottom