Bonamassa 2015 sound

guitardoc

Experienced
I went to see JB last weekend and instantly fell in love with his 2015 sound. He used two tweed era bassmans, two tweed era vibro kings? and two additional backup? tweed Fender combos I couldn't really see from my place directly in front of the stage since they were placed behind the first row of the aforementioned 4 Fender amps. I suppose there was a boost pedal used and of course his sig wah pedal. Nothing else - only volume and tone pots as well as pickup switch... ;-)

Right - could someone point me in the direction how to reproduce his sound using the axe? Amps, cabs, mix, pedal(s), settings?

Fwiw, it didn't really matter which guitar he used. The differences were marginal even strat compared to LP. The overall sweet sound stayed more or less the same. Simply fantastic and the most inspiring live performance I've attended for many many years. And it being performed by the one and only guitarist that I adore who is younger than me! :)

Tweed Twins and a Brown Deluxe I read he says the sleeper amp is brown deluxe.
You might begin there He might have tweed twins and bassmans and brown deluxes
They might be sitting behind the twins with mic's on them. Dont overlook brown Concert either.
You might try pairing tweed twin and brown deluxe or concert or both twin deluxe twin concert on other patch
see how those sound try blending amps.

He is using Tweed Twins from what I read..
If you go that route he mentions ev speakers now not sure what is in each cab
he might be feeding 4 12 cabs with evs and using jensens in the actual amps
not finding much about that but thinking original speakers too the amps here you would use
jensens I think p12ns brown and gold labels. The brown concert or deluxe might use those same speakers.

worth a shot anyway

Found this on the Les Paul forum, appears to be Twins flanked by Bassmans. Quite a fashion statement in all-tweed, and quite a change from his previous setups.

joe%20amp%20rig.JPG

Looks like two Bassman reissues behind the black wall. I wonder what those are for? Backup?
I believe so. I read an interview with him, and he said he keeps two amps behind his primary setup as spares. They're powered up and on standby, with mics in place, and have been dialed in, so in case he has an issue with either of the vintage amps, the sound engineers can just take the feed from the standby units.

Gotta be backup...

...its interesting to note they only mic the Tweed Twins.. why even bother with the Bassmans? My personal guess is he is using the two Bassmans and using the Tweed Twins as speaker cabs... he IS used to 12" speakers after all.

Looks like two Bassman reissues behind the black wall. I wonder what those are for? Backup?

How rad would that be to switch from killer vintage Marshalls, to Dumbles, to vintage Tweeds???

You can! They're called scenes and X/Y switching in Fractalese!

[Due to the cynical nature of this post, Fractal Audio Systems would like to state that there is no such language as 'Fractalese'].

:D

Gotta be backup...

...its interesting to note they only mic the Tweed Twins.. why even bother with the Bassmans? My personal guess is he is using the two Bassmans and using the Tweed Twins as speaker cabs... he IS used to 12" speakers after all.

That would make (some) sense.

Those backup Bassmans aren't Bassmans either. The nameplate is too small and there are extra screws. Must be some kind of clones.

Looks like Tweed Twins to me - maybe they're elevated on something which is why they look taller???

JB does like his Palmer boxes, he probably does have them hooked up to those Bassmans.

Those backup Bassmans aren't Bassmans either. The nameplate is too small and there are extra screws.
I love the level of amp geekistry on this forum! I was once part of a multi-page dialog regarding the circuit differences between my (original version) Boogie Lonestar, and the two variants (Special / Classic) that followed.

Back
Top Bottom