Bohemian Rhapsody movie - Final Trailer

Saw it yesterday with the wife, it was so good we both cried until credits :D
It wasn't even in a big theater with dolby, but sound was still so good it felt like we were in the crowd or sat down on the drumset.
Fantastic movie.
I always loved queen, the pop-prog band, a kind of magic

Saw it tonight, Really good movie, lead actor did a fantastic job as did the guy playing Brian May, who really captured every mannerism spot on.

Heard some complain the story was a little glossed over, but I for one think that is perfectly fine as we don’t need every R rated detail of Mercury’s personal life, drug use etc. Movie revealed enough, and I think makes it a movie that most members of the family can go see. Cool story about some unique musicians, likely will bring in a lot of new fans.

Obviously lots of great music as well, and really makes me want a Red Special now lol

For sure worth the price of admission

Just got back from watching it. Very good!

I agree with @lqdsnddist - Rami Malek (from Mr Robot, a really good TV show) was great as Freddie, and the guy who played Brian May was also quite impressive. The guy who played John Deacon also looked very similar in many scenes. Roger Taylor was not so convincing...

Also saw the trailer for Rocket Man about Elton John. Looks like it could also be good.

Last edited:
I was also happy to find out that Marc Martel did the "Freddie imitation" singing in this movie. I've been fan for years now, you need to check him out if you haven't:

I doubt anyone even doubted in the movie that the singing wasn't original Freddie. :)

But yes, even I, the manliest man you'll ever meet (not really) had to hold off this weird pain in my throat and nasal cavity. Only goes to show how powerful the storytelling of the movie is. They're talking about Rami Malek getting an oscar nomination already. In the beginning of the movie where he jumps around and you can't see his face, that was incredible how he can act out Freddie just with his body language. Amazing stuff.

I was also happy to find out that Marc Martel did the "Freddie imitation" singing in this movie. I've been fan for years now, you need to check him out if you haven't:

I doubt anyone even doubted in the movie that the singing wasn't original Freddie. :)

But yes, even I, the manliest man you'll ever meet (not really) had to hold off this weird pain in my throat and nasal cavity. Only goes to show how powerful the storytelling of the movie is. They're talking about Rami Malek getting an oscar nomination already. In the beginning of the movie where he jumps around and you can't see his face, that was incredible how he can act out Freddie just with his body language. Amazing stuff.

Wow! I assumed all the vocals were taken from the existing recordings of Freddie... That is crazy!

I've seen videos of Marc Martel before and they just blew me away. It's uncanny how similar his voice is to Freddie's, as you've digitally proved with your comparison.

Here's his audition video (15+ million views) for Roger Taylor's Queen Extravaganza! After this video, Ellen invited him to her show and as they say, the rest is history!!

Marc is Canadian! :)

I've seen videos of Marc Martel before and they just blew me away. It's uncanny how similar his voice is to Freddie's, as you've digitally proved with your comparison.

Here's his audition video (15+ million views) for Roger Taylor's Queen Extravaganza! After this video, Ellen invited him to her show and as they say, the rest is history!!

Marc is Canadian! :)

I saw the first video before... But forgot about it.

I only go to see a movie in the theaters about once every couple of years, and it's been over a decade since my wife and I went to see a movie together. This is one we're both definitely going to see while it's still in the good theaters.

I only go to see a movie in the theaters about once every couple of years, and it's been over a decade since my wife and I went to see a movie together. This is one we're both definitely going to see while it's still in the good theaters.
I think it'll be worth it. I see a lot of movies myself and this one definitely stands out.

I'd highly recommend scoping out a movie theater with a big screen and, more importantly, a really good sound system. We were fortunate in that our venue upgraded to a Dolby Atmos system and they cranked the volume to a perfect level, IMO. Enjoy!

Saw it last night. I thought it was great. Very compelling film. The Live Aid concert scenes were really amazing. I have the original concert on a Queen DVD. One of my favorite concert footage videos. I would have loved to play that gig. I have been fortunate enough to have played a number of arenas. That was massive.

I have mixed feelings about this movie.

On the one hand, it sounds like it was very well crafted and will be a joy to watch.

On the other hand, movies like this (history-as-entertainment) tend to play loose with the facts. And it's likely that no one involved with the movie was privy to the actual conversations around which much of the dialog was written. Reality is frequently "adjusted" in order to make for a better story. With a movie of this scale, whatever is portrayed will become the truth, regardless of what the actual truth is.

I have mixed feelings about this movie.

On the one hand, it sounds like it was very well crafted and will be a joy to watch.

On the other hand, movies like this (history-as-entertainment) tend to play loose with the facts. And it's likely that no one involved with the movie was privy to the actual conversations around which much of the dialog was written. Reality is frequently "adjusted" in order to make for a better story. With a movie of this scale, whatever is portrayed will become the truth, regardless of what the actual truth is.
I agree with that... And I wonder about that in this case, too.

However, I believe Brian May and Roger Taylor were involved in making the movie. I know that still doesn't cover everything, but probably adds some amount of credibility.

I think if the movie intoduces new fans to the music of Queen, as well as reminding old fans of why they were fans in the first place, in addition to showing that a band, or artist, can be true to their vision and still be successful then it’s a great movie.

It doesn’t need to be the final authorative word on every aspect of Mercury’s life, and a few slight twist in the timeline etc, for the sake of story teller, really don’t change the overall movie.

I think the only real take away one really should leave the theater with is “Queen was an awesome band”, and one could also say mercury was an amazing frontman, the dynamic of the band is what made them all stronger than the sum of their parts, labels don’t always know best, watch the company you keep etc, but above all, it’s that Queen was a one of a kind band, and I think it would be hard to not have a new found appreciation of them if you didn’t already.

I know my wife was amazed how many songs she’s likes on the radio were by Queen. They had quite the number of hits, and so diverse too.

Sasha Baron Cohen was to be Freddie, but apparently he quit when they wouldnt do the story 'right', wanted more gritty I think, less glossed over. I hear this is a typical rags to riches, standard rock band makes it big movie. That being said, if it's one of your fav's you will generally like it.

I think the only real take away one really should leave the theater with is “Queen was an awesome band”,...
and one could also say mercury was an amazing frontman,...
the dynamic of the band is what made them all stronger than the sum of their parts,...
labels don’t always know best,...
watch the company you keep...
etc,...
but above all, it’s that Queen was a one of a kind band...
You see the problem. Your six-plus "only real takeaway" items are going to be different from somebody else's. And I guarantee that many will take away bits of "history" that never really happened.

Back
Top Bottom