Bogner Shiva FX8 Channel Switching help?

BenjiDNA

Hi all...

New member here - been lurking in the background and now taking the plunge on an FX8 - will help with being able to demo Vigier guitars...

I am trying to figure out the best way to integrate the simplest of rigs and it seems the FX8 is the way to go...so my question (probably first of many) is basically to ask some assistance with what cables to run for channel switching on the Shiva? It is a 20th Anniversary Combo w/reverb. So 2 jacks; 1st jack is Clean/Gain + boost and 2nd switch is reverb on/off. I guess I need 2 cables from the FX8, is this correct? What kind of cables (2 x TRS)?? Been trying to figure this out all day and getting more lost/confused!

Really appreciate if one of you very nice chaps/chappettes could point me in the right direction for this cable solution.

Many thanks in advance!

When using FX8 with my 6L6 Shiva, I use both relays with two cable runs to the amp. IIRC, relay 1 is used for channel switching + boost with a TRS cable. Relay 2 is use the reverb on/off with a second cable that can be TRS or TS. Then, I program the relays within the each FX8 scene I’m using.

Thank you so much for the quick reply. So TRS cable for the channel/boost switching and standard guitar cable (TS) for reverb on/off and I would be good to go?

When using FX8 with my 6L6 Shiva, I use both relays with two cable runs to the amp. IIRC, relay 1 is used for channel switching + boost with a TRS cable. Relay 2 is use the reverb on/off with a second cable that can be TRS or TS. Then, I program the relays within the each FX8 scene I’m using.
I'm trying to get the FX8 to switch both the channel (Clean/Gain) and Boost On/Off using 1 Relay. Curious how you are doing this on your Shiva? How are you setting the Relays? Using 2 foot switches? Thanks-

Figured it out.
Can switch channels (Clean/Gain) and Boost on Shiva using one Relay. Programmed a foot switch on/off for the Clean/Gain (Tip/Ring) and Y function of same foot switch for Boost (both Tip and Ring).

Sorry, can't help with this one. Mesa does their own thing, you might want to check with them on how the relays in the amp work.

Didn't see anyone specifically asking for help with Mesa gear, but since that's what I use, I'll post this here for anyone that finds it useful.

My amp is the Mesa 100W 3-channel Dual Rectifier Solo Head. It has 5 Tip-Sleeve (TS) jacks for external switching on the rear of the chassis. These support switching for CH1, CH2, CH3, Solo, and Loop. Selection is accomplished by shorting tip to sleeve. Since the FX8 only has 2 relays, this limits switching options to 4 connections. I don’t use the Solo boost, so I opted to sacrifice it (this could be controlled through a separate relay box, if desired).

Amp Configuration:
  • Set FX Loop ASSIGN selector to FTSW
  • Set the CHANNEL selector to FTSW
  • Remove any foot controller from the footswitch DIN connection (if connected, it will interfere with switching)

Cabling:
  • Requires 2 TRS cables and 2 TRS-to-TS y-adapters
  • Connect one end of each TRS cable to the R1/R2 relay jacks on the FX8
  • Connect a TS y-adapter to the amp end of each TRS cable
  • Connect R1 cable TS y-adapter TIP to amp CH1 and RING to amp LOOP
  • Connect R2 cable TS y-adapter TIP to amp CH2 and RING to amp CH3
  • Label all connections!

FX8 Configuration in the Footswitch menu:
- Configure individual scenes with CH/Loop relay settings (you must configure them appropriately for each scene so the amp knows what state to be in—I default all my scenes to CH1/No Loop)
- Set R1 and R2 for LATCHING
- CH1/No Loop​
o R1: TIP
o R2: OFF​
- CH1/Loop
o R1: BOTH
o R2: OFF​
- CH2/No Loop
o R1: OFF
o R2: TIP​
- CH2/Loop
o R1: RING