Wish Bogner Ecstasy 100b, and 101b Classic.

rcm78

Experienced
I’m a Bogner guy. I’ve had an Ecstasy Classic for 11 years. The 20th Anniversary amp is very different. Would love to see an old 100b and 101b Classic modeled. Including the Plexi Mode on the Classic! It sounds nothing like a plexi but is fantastic in its own way.

Indeed. Was watching this vid yesterday and started wondering too, thinking we had the Anniversary model, IIRC (which I like too).
The preferences seem to go to the 100b though — 2 to 1 ;)
Took some notes...

Michael Nielsen | 1st Day with a Bogner Ecstasy 101B

• My tips — set ‘pre EQ’s’ 2 & 3 to N. Set gain boost to H. Structure to H. Plexi mode to 0. Pre EQ1 to B2. Gain boost1 to H. Presence B to 0. Excursion B to L. Excursion A to T. Adjust knobs to taste. Also note — the presence only works if the loop is engaged & the MV on the rear is activated. A light will come on to show its activated. Luke used these settings when he was using the XTC.
  • Red and Blue through Plexi mode, hit with a properly set Klon, it’s Ecstasy! This amp is super deep. Really takes years to get to know.
  • I’ve got the Ecstasy Blue pedal and it’s the best OD pedal I’ve ever had.
  • I’ve had 3 versions of the Ecstasy: Classic, 101B, and 20th Anniversary (6L6), and by far the 101B was my fave — for that Blue channel that just isn’t the same in the others.
  • To those who don’t own an Ecstasy, you have no idea how incredible it is. The sound, the touch sensitivity, is very unique and incredible. These YT reviews only give you a general idea. I’ve owned tons of high end amps and this one is the best ever.
  • For ch1 I use che vol.1 all the way and control the vol. of the channel with the gain, that way I can have a loud clean tone. My favorite amp.
  • M Nielsen: I have pretty much just left it on Plexi mode. It’s a great pedal platform. Although, I think the BE100DLX Plexi is more awesome. The Bogner is more fat and juicy. Friedman is more crankin’ and agressive.
  • TOOM: I own an Ecstasy 101A (6L6) 20th Anniversary Custom Shop (gold chassis in the std headshell). The blue channel is the best crunch all over the world. The clean is warm and the lead is fat. This amp is not made for high gain but strong overdrive. I play the Ecstasy with a Dual Rectifier to go high gain territory. The 101A sounds more “low end” than the Ecstasy standard 101B (EL34) you play right here. Most of all… the FX loop is just the BEST LOOP EVER because you can switch: serial or parallel. Huuuuuge. The Ecstasy is the only 100W head able to do that. Bogner rules.
  • FastRedPonyCar: They are killer studio amps. I had an XTC classic for a while, but JESUS does it just get curb stomped on stage. A 50w DSL not only buried it volume output-wise, but also in clarity and ability to cut through the stage mix. I played maybe 2 or 3 shows with it and sold it. Too expensive to keep just as a studio tool when I had a Kemper and nowhere near the balls on stage as my Splawn. Amp was operating 100% perfect though. 2 highly skilled amp builders both verified that there wasn’t anything wrong with it to result in it not being as loud as I expected on stage. The voicing of the amp just doesn’t lend itself nearly as well to being a stage monster the way the Marshalls do. Hell, I bet my 50w Silver Jubilee could have smoked it. Like I said though… the XTC is a studio queen if I’ve ever seen one. TONS of sounds inside.
  • M Nielsen: From the short time I’ve had this, I can totally see what you mean. It’s definitely not a sledge hammer cut through kinda amp. In a 2 guitar heavy rock band, that would definitely be a concern.
  • Marc Hurds: I’ve got four Bogners, including a 101B as well as a Soldano, Friedman, Carr and Blackstar heads. My favourite? The 101B. It’s been my main amp for 12 years now. There was a mod you could get that adds a three way switch to the back panel which gives the pre 2004, post 2004 and Cameron mod red channel gain sounds. I’ve had that added to mine. http://marvelamps.com
  • Rik D: When Lukather switched to the Ecstasy, he was using a newer model that has a different gain stage. After 2005, Bogner changed the gain on the 3rd channel, made it sound more liquid, compressed. This one is a 90s Ecstasy, so it’ll sound different. Good but different.
  • Also, Luke uses a signature version of the ToneConcepts Distillery. That is a huge part of his tone. The blend of the two is just perfection.
  • 2204JCM: The Helios has more cut in the mix.
  • Daniel Lekardal: I talked a bit to Luke about it. He liked the Plexi tone of the Helios a lot and that was that. Luke sounds great through any amp.
  • Isaac Berumen: On the Red and Blue channels, turn the gain lower so that the bright EQ switches will function more. At max gain they are pretty much inaudible. Red channel with gain at about 1 o’clock with B1 and Treble at 1–2 o’clock starts getting cut like a modded Marshall. Same with the Blue, you can go from JCM800 to a Lead models with the Bright caps on the Pre EQ switches. 470pf and 4700pf caps like the Marshalls have. Treble pot is Audio not Linear so you will have to turn it up more for it to reach the same level as on a Marshall or Friedman to get similar cut. On the Clean and on Plexi modes, crank the Volume and use the Gain as the actual volume and this will give you pristine cleans. – M Nielsen: Awesome tip! Thanks!!!
  • tmitz73: Great Video, man!!! Can’t say I’m overly impressed with the tones though IMO; all these Classic M style amps have way more gain on tap than necessary comparatively and seem to be overly compressed for my taste. The resulting tone being a bit generic, flat and squashed. If you like Metal and that smooth overdrive then this style of amp is fine, but if you’re looking for dynamics then maybe not so much.
  • Brent Pearcy: Not Tight? No not that kind of amp but… you’re definitely not going to get tight with the gain on max with the boost on my friend. Roll back the gain to around 1 to 2:00, B2, TMB around 2:00 and it’s much tighter. Also years ago I (brentsp) did a write-up on the clean channel. It’s a Deluxe Reverb preamp. Volume maxed, mid set to 10:00, use the gain as your output volume. Thank me later ;) it’s a great amp, I’ve owned quite a few of the 101 and classic. I now own the 20th anniversary (I own Friedman amps too). I know you ended up sending your XTC to Friedman I believe to mod. Really need to do the above recommendations. Gain maxed-out on Bogner amps ain’t going to cut it. It mushes out.
  • stratpuppy: Guitar (Strat on neck Pickup) =- Carl Martin Compressor used as a boost (compressor at 9, Level 2–3) =- vintage TS-808 =- Clean channel on XTC with aforementioned settings = One of the best blues to blues/rock tones (depending on where the volume knob is) you have ever heard…

Last edited:
I’m a Bogner guy. I’ve had an Ecstasy Classic for 11 years. The 20th Anniversary amp is very different. Would love to see an old 100b and 101b Classic modeled. Including the Plexi Mode on the Classic! It sounds nothing like a plexi but is fantastic in its own way.
Yep I would love a 101b

Ok Bogner.

I'm with you amigo. I own the 101b. My favorite rock amp.

I love the Plexi mode on it. I can't quite get it emulated in the III with the blue model and a different tonestack, or a plexi model, though I have tried. It's a cool low gain thing that sounds better as it gets louder, but not crunchy.

I get close but I think it needs it's own model in the III. I'd be happy to have the clean channel too. Then I could sell my 101b maybe! :)

If Cliff was a willing I could send him my amp to use....@FractalAudio

Last edited:

I love the Plexi mode on it. I can't quite get it emulated in the III with the blue model and a different tonestack, or a plexi model, though I have tried. It's a cool low gain thing that sounds better as it gets louder, but not crunchy.

I get close but I think it needs it's own model in the III. I'd be happy to have the clean channel too. Then I could sell my 101b maybe! :)

If Cliff was a willing I could send him my amp to use....
Yeah man!

If Cliff was a willing I could send him my amp to use....@FractalAudio
That would be awesome the 101b blue and red really are that Bogner sound IMO

You can get the Bogner blue and red ecstasy pedals for $79.99 each at Sweetwater right now. The blue is really great bang for the buck and does that not quite a real plexi but a Bogner version of a plexi levels of gain and has amazing dynamics, feels way more like an amp than a pedal.

Back
Top Bottom