BluGuitar AMP1 Iridium into FM3 question

The IRs in the FM3 sound great with the BluGuitar Amp1 Iridium (Iridium direct into FM3). This is what I want to do... I want to place the Iridium into the FX Loop of the FM3, so that I can have wah or other effects before the Iridium. But it's not working. I can place any pedal in an FX Loop of the FM3 and it works. But when I do that with the FM3, I get complete silence. Setup:

FM3 'fx out' to Iridium 'guitar in'
Iridium 'headphone out' to FM3 'fx in'

I also tried the Iridium 'fx send' to the FM3 'fx in' with the same result... silence. The above setup works perfectly fine for a delay, reverb, distortion, etc., and so, I know the connection and cables are OK. Any idea why this is happening?

Get your rig working well with a different pedal. Then swap in the Amp1, and don’t change anything else. Even use the same preset. If it doesn’t work, the problem is with your Amp1.

The IRs in the FM3 sound great with the BluGuitar Amp1 Iridium (Iridium direct into FM3). This is what I want to do... I want to place the Iridium into the FX Loop of the FM3, so that I can have wah or other effects before the Iridium. But it's not working. I can place any pedal in an FX Loop of the FM3 and it works. But when I do that with the FM3, I get complete silence. Setup:

FM3 'fx out' to Iridium 'guitar in'
Iridium 'headphone out' to FM3 'fx in'

I also tried the Iridium 'fx send' to the FM3 'fx in' with the same result... silence. The above setup works perfectly fine for a delay, reverb, distortion, etc., and so, I know the connection and cables are OK. Any idea why this is happening?
Just a general question regarding the iridium - do you need a load box to run if not connecting to a speaker- I'm under the impression that you don't need one?
I know there you can turn off the IR in the iridium and there are a few ways you can use the iridium

do you need a load box to run if not connecting to a speaker
You do not NEED a load box when using the "Rec Out". However, connecting a reactive load with an authentic impedance curve (like FAS X-Load or a Suhr Reactive Load... or a real cab of course) will significantly improve the tone of the Amp1. Even a non-ideal load like the Two Notes Captor does improve the sound to some degree (I tested with the Captor and the Shure).
Any idea why this is happening?
I own both devices and I did a qick test to replicate your setup.
Guitar => FM3 In1 (Guitar In)
FM3 Out2 (FX out) => AMP1 Guitar In
AMP1 Rec Out => FM3 In2 (FX in)
FM3 OUT1 => Speaker
1617024926327.png
It is working as expected, no issues found.
(I am assuming you already did the test that Rex has suggested?)

I remember that the AMP1 has several "hidden" expert options that can be activated by different footswitch combinations or via midi.
Maybe a factory reset of the Amp1 will help (holding down all 3 switches while power up)?

No load box required... it's the headphone jack/rec out on the Amp1 I'm referring to (there's a separate speaker out that requires a load box); I did have the Suhr and thought it sounded like ass... direct to an AXE IR is much better... thick, meaty, etc. Now, what I did NOT do is the set-up you show above... I merely added the second Out and In through the same line or pathway... I don't recall the name, but everything was done in a series... and did not try doing it in PARALLEL, which I will try soon. Thank you.

Just a general question regarding the iridium - do you need a load box to run if not connecting to a speaker- I'm under the impression that you don't need one?
I know there you can turn off the IR in the iridium and there are a few ways you can use the iridium
Correct... I did disengage the built-in IR, which was 'ok' at best (when I did some sound testing I got a lot of 'sizzle' comments, and to get a proper IR). I ran it through the Suhr Reactive Load... did not like the results in the least. I then tried the Palmer ADIG-LB and found it better (had more EQ options), but still mediocre. Then I tried it with the FM3 and thought it sounded fantastic, but would like it in an FX Loop, so that I can place FM3 effects in front, e.g., wah.

Get your rig working well with a different pedal. Then swap in the Amp1, and don’t change anything else. Even use the same preset. If it doesn’t work, the problem is with your Amp1.
Yes, as stated, the arrangement works fine with other pedals, and so I have to try something different, perhaps parallel routing. Thanks.

I have the mercury edition and... i am lretty confident that you can put the speaker out (not freq compensated) into his blubox or any other ir loader and just use the line level signal from said ir box. No further load required. Check the manual. Its online afaik. I will check and edit within the next hour :)

//e:
Okey. I read the manual. It states the powersmp wont kill itself if you crank it without load. In the manual to blubox it says u can connect speaker out to blubox. No trouble. Or any other di box as i understood it. BUT. I am not sure if the fm3 can handle the speaker out ? Im not so sure ^^.
Id hit up bluguitar on facebook. They respond fairly quick. Often thomas himself.
Sorry cant post a link cuz new member :p. Google blubox manual. Gl :)!

Last edited:
I have the mercury edition and... i am lretty confident that you can put the speaker out (not freq compensated) into his blubox or any other ir loader and just use the line level signal from said ir box. No further load required. Check the manual. Its online afaik. I will check and edit within the next hour :)

//e:
Okey. I read the manual. It states the powersmp wont kill itself if you crank it without load. In the manual to blubox it says u can connect speaker out to blubox. No trouble. Or any other di box as i understood it. BUT. I am not sure if the fm3 can handle the speaker out ? Im not so sure ^^.
Id hit up bluguitar on facebook. They respond fairly quick. Often thomas himself.
Sorry cant post a link cuz new member :p. Google blubox manual. Gl :)!

To be clear, I am NOT using the speaker out. Not sure where you got that. I did indicate Headphone Out/Rec Out. No load box required... no BluBox required; I am NOT using the speaker out (which would require a real cab or load box). I'm merely using the AMP1 REC OUT (headphone out, as per my first post) to the FM3 (in)... then FM3 (out) to AMP1 IN (effects loop, of course... and it works fine with a reverb or other pedal). I had direct feedback from Thomas (I know him and reviewed the AMP1 Iridium), and he thinks it's an issue with the FM3. I have not rebooted (to factory standards) the Iridium, but will try tomorrow.

Yea sorry. I meant to say that you could just try the speaker out as it does not require a load either. But in the end it shouldnt matter as apparently you have a signal
Loss somewhere in between.

I often suggest substituting a patch cable when you have problems with an insert. Make sure the signal is flowing in that configuration before using a 3rd party product in the loop.

Reactions: Rex
I had a similar issue with my amp and switching one of the csbles from TRS to TS solved it. I’m not sure if that applies here but just in case.

Back
Top Bottom