Bluetooth headphone use.

BT has improved a lot over the years, but sadly still not there for this application. I keep hoping one day it will be fast enough to not notice latency.

Absolutely painful. Strumming a chord and hearing it a split second later will twist your brain. I considered getting an inexpensive IEM setup and plugging in my headphones to get somewhat of a wireless setup for practice.

Only option is Boss Waza air headphones for low latency, but as they are aimed at being an amp modeller they sum the AXE output to mono, and apply their own ambient processing.

Only option is Boss Waza air headphones for low latency, but as they are aimed at being an amp modeller they sum the AXE output to mono, and apply their own ambient processing.
Which are just headphones with a wireless transmitter built in, no real benefit to picking up an actual transmitter and using your own monitoring device.

Sennheiser makes wireless headphones that are decent. They are RF, not bluetooth, so there is little perceptible latency. Totally usable. The RS series has various offerings at a large range of price points.

Sennheiser makes wireless headphones that are decent. They are RF, not bluetooth, so there is little perceptible latency. Totally usable. The RS series has various offerings at a large range of price points.
About 3 or 4 months ago I bought the SENNHEISER RS 175 RF Wireless Headphones to replace my broken Sony MDR - RF970 headphones.

I was majorly disappointed, the latency was awful and I found them virtually useless for playing music. They're probably great for watching TV or listening to music in general, but not for playing a musical instrument such as guitar.

I miss the Sony’s, although they were a bit noisy there was no noticeable latency. Sadly, they don’t make them anymore and I don’t know if there is an equivalent replacement that's latency-free.

Logical thinking, one would think if something is RF there would be no latency, but as I found with the Sennheiser headphones that’s not always the case.

BTW, I returned the Sennheiser headphones. They were an expensive miscalculation.

I’m sorry you had a bad experience. My Sennheisers work great, and I have a much less expensive model. They aren’t the best sounding at ~ $100 or so, but they have very little latency in my rig. I run my buffer at 64 and generally have about 2ms of latency as-is. I didn’t notice any real increase with the Sennheisers. I guess results vary.

Back
Top Bottom