Bluechip Picks

Nope. Not for me.

Kinda reminds me of Starbucks. They didn't invent coffee, they invented really expensive coffees with fancy names, and a lot of people like that. It's actually a great idea, lots of older guitar players already have boutique amps, expensive guitars and Axe-Fx-es, so why not convince them they need to up their pick game?

Nope. Not for me.

Kinda reminds me of Starbucks. They didn't invent coffee, they invented really expensive coffees with fancy names, and a lot of people like that. It's actually a great idea, lots of older guitar players already have boutique amps, expensive guitars and Axe-Fx-es, so why not convince them they need to up their pick game?
Because they're really great? They're not snake oil.

There's an old saying:

"Don't knock it until you've tried it".

Very rarely to you see any of the these threads or reviews with negative experiences with 'expensive' picks. Like @guitarnerdswe said "it's not snake oil". I'm a cheapskate and cynical by nature but will always look for any way to improve my tone and playing, especially if there's something that bugs me like string chirp.

From what I've been able to deduce, most of us play guitars that are in the $1000+ territory, a lot are in the $2500+ range. The FM3 is $1100, the Axe III + FC controller is $2500+. I won't get into how we monitor our FAS products, any rack gear or amps and cabs we may have. When there is that much invested, why not look into the the one thing that sets the whole thing in motion (striking a guitar string)? After investing so much money on the rest of their gear I really don't see why one would compromise on such an important part of their tone, let alone criticizing those who have decided to spend an 'absurd' amount on a simple guitar pick.

I may never spend $50 on a pick but just a couple of years ago, spending $10 on a pick was outrageous to me. That said, should I ever feel that it could benefit my playing or tone, Blue Chips are definitely something I would consider.

You can also read pages and pages of positive reviews for Monster brand cables, including those stupid gold plated $100 HDMI cables that transmit a digital protocol stream of data identical to a $2 cable. Yet the user reviews will glow on about "improved color and vibrant detail". Facepalm!

I'm not saying $35 - $75 guitar picks are the equivalent level of absurdity. But there may be some parallels. I get that these are actually different materials, with positive attributes. And yes, I am knocking it before I've tried it :) That's just the cranky old coot in me showing.

Very rarely to you see any of the these threads or reviews with negative experiences with 'expensive' picks.
I did a "negative review" and posted it in this thread. Nice pick, too dark for my needs, still have it but don't use it.

I tested out Red Bear and some other expensive picks. I used Jazz III Eric Johnson for a few years - great on electric, limited on acoustic (for me). Even bought a pick made out of mammoth ivory (very interesting pick). Still have that one too, but ended up on Fender Tortuga picks, $5 for a 6-pack. For me they work well on both acoustic and electric.

People sell the expensive picks pretty hard. For me in the end it's about what cuts in a mix but is also good in isolation. The most "beautiful" sound in isolation doesn't always work in a mix, and sometimes the most versatile sound isn't the most beautiful one in isolation.

Last edited:
You can also read pages and pages of positive reviews for Monster brand cables, including those stupid gold plated $100 HDMI cables that transmit a digital protocol stream of data identical to a $2 cable. Yet the user reviews will glow on about "improved color and vibrant detail". Facepalm!

I'm not saying $35 - $75 guitar picks are the equivalent level of absurdity. But there may be some parallels. I get that these are actually different materials, with positive attributes. And yes, I am knocking it before I've tried it :) That's just the cranky old coot in me showing.
Not looking to argue, just offering my experience as a cynic. There are a lot of guitar related products that are pure snake oil.

If you're at least curious about thicker picks with a more neutral string attack, the Dunlop 308 Primetone picks. Not a sharp bevel like the Blue Chip or Chickenpicks but would give you an idea of what all the fuss is about.

So what pops up in my email yesterday? An email from Gravity announcing their new colored Gold picks. So I ordered a couple because of this thread. I have actually been using a V-Pick Jester for a couple months and really like it. It is a little bigger than Jazz picks. Funny thing is, I tend to gravitate back to Adamas graphite picks which I have used for years.

Monster's quality control is hot garbage. Back in the Ultra days when you had to use MIDI cables to work with Axe-Edit, I got a couple from the local Guitar Center. When I couldn't get it to work, I initially assumed I was doing something wrong. Turned out one of the cables was dead.

So what pops up in my email yesterday? An email from Gravity announcing their new colored Gold picks. So I ordered a couple because of this thread. I have actually been using a V-Pick Jester for a couple months and really like it. It is a little bigger than Jazz picks. Funny thing is, I tend to gravitate back to Adamas graphite picks which I have used for years.
It is really hard to guess at what someone else will like. But -- apparently I am going to do that anyway. If you like the V-pick Jester and the Adamas graphite picks -- the Gravity Gold picks are right in that same family of feel and sound. I think the GG's will be just a little bit smoother and less chirpier on the pick attack. Otherwise, they are very close.
Colors are good! Expensive picks in earth tones are really just an invitation to moments of stress when they are misplaced. -- But maybe a note, the translucent acrylic pics from Gravity are a different material from the Gravity Golds. The translucent acrylic picks will be very, very similar to the V-pick Jester, which I believe is acrylic, also (not sure.)
I get the skepticism about $20+ picks -- even more at $40+ . I looked at the Bluechip picks for 2 years -- just to see if they were still in business. If a friend hadn't sent me a bluechip pick in the mail, I probably would never have bought one on my own. Since then, I've bought 4 BC picks -- used, of various thicknesses -- which I still have. I have also, bought 4 of the 1.5mm GG's (2 of which are in the house somewhere, aarrrghh!) I now prefer the GG's for electric because they are a touch brighter while maintaining a part of the nice feel of the BC picks. In truth, the BC picks were too warm for most of my playing-style on electric guitar -- even though a lot of listeners really liked the warm sound. If the BC's hadn't felt so good in use, I probably would have moved on to a different electric pick sooner. I put a sharper bevel on the BC picks to brighten them up for electric playing. But, it was still not quite enough -- for me. BC is still my absolute favorite acoustic pick. And, I am old enough to have owned a few real tortoise shell picks back in the bad old days. (photo is 10 yrs old, I'm 67.) But now, I prefer BC's on my acoustic and GG's on my electric guitar.
When you think of the cost for these picks in terms of dollars per gram, it can make you choke a little. But, in terms of dollars per tone? I have put way more money into pedals that were of no real long-term use to me. In contrast to that, I have no regrets, at all, over the cost of either the Bluechips or the Gravity Golds. I have even bought extras of these picks. Because, while using a different pick (Ultex, Nylon, Acrylic) is not completely horrible -- other picks just take away from the best feeling and tone -- for me personally, when playing guitar.
Also, I prefer a stiff heavy pick. If you prefer a flexible pick, I don't think either the BC's or the GG's are likely to make you happy. I'm just doing my best to put my own experience out there in a form that might be of use to someone else..

People sell the expensive picks pretty hard. For me in the end it's about what cuts in a mix but is also good in isolation. The most "beautiful" sound in isolation doesn't always work in a mix, and sometimes the most versatile sound isn't the most beautiful one in isolation.
This is true. The mix is a big factor. Thinking in terms of a band's total sound is simply a more mature thing to do. I am old and more out of the loop these days. I have only just learned about the Taylor Thermex and now the Fender Tortuga from this thread. Both of which sound like they are definitely worth a try to me. The Tortuga is a proprietary Ultem blend (polyetherimide.) Different types of plastic and different blends of plastics really do feel and sound quite different from each other. I never know when a different sound or feel is going to inspire a different kind of expression.

This is true. The mix is a big factor. Thinking in terms of a band's total sound is simply a more mature thing to do. The Tortuga is a proprietary Ultem blend (polyetherimide.) Different types of plastic and different blends of plastics really do feel and sound quite different from each other. I never know when a different sound or feel is going to inspire a different kind of expression.
I moved to one pick type to make guitar switching faster / easier, and because I occasionally trigger video and audio recording while I'm performing (sometimes as I'm switching guitars).

Tortuga are on the hard side. The medium Tortuga 351 doesn't "chirp" on acoustic like the heavy does, yet it's stiff enough for electric work if you're used to thicker picks. It's brighter than the Jazz III I was using so I had to dial highs back a bit for electric. Overall the compromises were minimal and it works.

Forgot to mention I cut mine down from 351 to the Petrucci pick size, which is a bit larger than Fender 451. The 551 is too small for me on acoustic. I also sand them more to a point like a Petrucci / Jazz III / 551. Takes a few minutes for 6 picks but they last for several months.

Last edited:
This thread made my curious so I got myself today a Blue Chip Jazz 35 - 0,89 mm and I must say it feels very nice. I don't know if this is a kind of autosuggestion because I paid 46 Euros for ONE PICK! or does it really move smoother than other picks over the strings...? If this pick lasts for the rest of my life than maybe one could justify this investment ;)

This thread made my curious so I got myself today a Blue Chip Jazz 35 - 0,89 mm and I must say it feels very nice. I don't know if this is a kind of autosuggestion because I paid 46 Euros for ONE PICK! or does it really move smoother than other picks over the strings...? If this pick lasts for the rest of my life than maybe one could justify this investment ;)
But how does it sound?

I have to admit that I'm intrigued by comments about getting rid of the chirp...

That's the thing that I feel keeps me going back to the Dunlop Tortex Jazz III from the JP Jazz III - the chirp is much more pronounced on the JP.

But how does it sound?

I have to admit that I'm intrigued by comments about getting rid of the chirp...

That's the thing that I feel keeps me going back to the Dunlop Tortex Jazz III from the JP Jazz III - the chirp is much more pronounced on the JP.
I have to admit that until now I was not very aware of that undesired chirp. I think the Blue Chip sounds good, but I am the wrong person to confirm that it will eliminate that chirp. I can only say that I normally use the black dunlop pick (don't know exactly it's name) and for funk music I use the grey Nylon pick in the middle. I am playing most of the time a Strat and I got the impression that the sound of a Strat is better with a flexible Nylon Pick - definitely for funk, but it seems to be a dogma that harder picks are better for faster playing. Today I played for the first time with the Blue Chip Jazz 35 and it felt as I said a little bit smoother than the black pick I use normally... Sorry, I think that's all I can say.

picks.jpg

sorry i didn’t crop the pic but i bought the lg 35.
As you can see about the same size and thickness but it does what folks are saying here:
tone more like a med-heavy....which i like
no pick noise...which i like
it’s weird but it’s not slippery...which i like
the pick...I’m afraid...is great...says my wallet
...but I like Fender mediums but just a little too bright and I need to angle the pick to tone it down.
On the other hand, when I play lightly, I loosen my grip but this pick goes along for the ride...
Anyway, first impressions are surprisingly good but YMMV. ;)

E15B2D70-7E0B-4FB2-A1D1-BF27F6DB6F4F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom