Bluechip Picks

I believe the material is Vespel By DuPont.
Blue Chip are or used to be in the digital electronics industry.
So they probably were using Vespel on their boards where you mount CPUs.
I have one of their picks. Its good. But the claims made here are exaggerated in every way.
Machine shop for special parts for semiconductors.

I beg to differ, and stand by my claims. Most of them are easily verified. Anyone with a decent pick collection can try and compare the Bluechips to other picks themselves. The overall difference is not subtle.

Can someone make a Tonematch of one of these expensive pickups against a, let's say, an ordinary Dunlop Gator Grip (my favorites)? So we could all be able to enjoy these magic sonic properties without feeling guilty of spending so much money on such a small thing.

We will still have to replace them more often because they worn out (for me every 3 or 4 years) but... same as we can tonematch expensive amps, pickups, speakers or microphones, why not model these magic picks?

:p

Last edited:
Can someone make a Tonematch of one of these expensive pickups against a, let's say, an ordinary Dunlop Gator Grip (my favorites)? So we could all be able to enjoy these magic sonic properties without feeling guilty of spending so much money on such a small thing.

We will still have to replace them more often because they worn out (for me every 3 or 4 years) but... same as we can tonematch expensive amps, pickups, speakers or microphones, why not model these magic picks?

:p
The biggest thing for me isn't the sound, but all the other things. The feel and longevity. Can we have "touchy, feely, squeezy" match block for the next firmware? 😅

Bluechip are the only ones in my huge collection that I don't have to death grip, or constantly move around because the slip through my fingers. I've made leaps in my technique over that last years, that would have been impossible with any other pick.

So when I say that they make you a better player, it's true. Playing fast is all about being loose and relaxed. Bluechip allows me to do that.

Last edited:
How the gravity gold picks are durable compared to the blue chip?
I'm interested in a durable pick but the only distributor in Germany wants 47€ for the TD60.
The Gravity Gold Picks hold up extremely well. I have had both Bluechip and the Gravity Gold for a while and I honestly can't tell any difference in edge wear or durability. I honestly think the Gravity Gold is much better suited for electric guitars and hard blues, rock and metal than the Bluechip -- tone-wise. But, I do like them both for different things. I just ordered the Taylor Thermex which are more reasonably priced -- 6 for $12. I don't expect them to be as durable as the Gravity Gold ($20 for 1.0-1.5mm, $29 for 2.5mm) or the Bluechip. But, I don't think many other picks are that tough. I completely understand worrying about losing an expensive pick. Both GG and BC picks are earth tones and not that easy to spot right away. I have freaked out several times after misplacing a Bluechip pick. Still, you might want to have one of each at the house for recording -- if it suits you. I bought several Bluechip picks used. Since, I knew I could re-bevel the edge if needed. I have even bought a large triangle BC pick, used, and filed it into a classic pick shape. GG and BC picks both file and shape, in a manner, similar to aluminum. Even though, the comparison to aluminum ends there.

The Gravity Gold Picks hold up extremely well. I have had both Bluechip and the Gravity Gold for a while and I honestly can't tell any difference in edge wear or durability. I honestly think the Gravity Gold is much better suited for electric guitars and hard blues, rock and metal than the Bluechip -- tone-wise. But, I do like them both for different things. I just ordered the Taylor Thermex which are more reasonably priced -- 6 for $12. I don't expect them to be as durable as the Gravity Gold ($20 for 1.0-1.5mm, $29 for 2.5mm) or the Bluechip. But, I don't think many other picks are that tough. I completely understand worrying about losing an expensive pick. Both GG and BC picks are earth tones and not that easy to spot right away. I have freaked out several times after misplacing a Bluechip pick. Still, you might want to have one of each at the house for recording -- if it suits you. I bought several Bluechip picks used. Since, I knew I could re-bevel the edge if needed. I have even bought a large triangle BC pick, used, and filed it into a classic pick shape. GG and BC picks both file and shape, in a manner, similar to aluminum. Even though, the comparison to aluminum ends there.
Thanks...
Good to know.
I can't find used picks here in Germany.
But this could be an option for a try.
I have several tools and my origin job I was trained for was at metal industry.
So this should be not a challenge.
Will have a look at the Taylor picks.

Anyone with a decent pick collection can try and compare the Bluechips to other picks themselves. The overall difference is not subtle.
I agree. Bluechip may not be the pick for everyone. But, they are very different from any other pick. And, Vespel is an unusually expensive material. The Gravity Gold is somewhat similar to the BC's, though. The GG's even slip over the strings nicely -- but, not quite as easily as the BC. And the GG's are noticeably, but not annoyingly brighter -- which is a plus, sometimes. Both the GG and BC seem to wear like iron. The BC's have a very warm and have a very, very strong full sound. The GG and BC both really project. It is no wonder that the BC's are extremely popular among bluegrass flat pickers. They have a very strong warm sound. They kill string attack noise. And they literally glide over the strings. And, they take a long time to wear down.

Last edited:
Yes, "focused" is a useful description. I might say girth, or thickness, to describe an extended lower bandwidth. But, my "girth" may simply be dark and unfocused in a different context. A sharper bevel is an attempt to bring some of the focus of a physically thinner pick to a physically thicker pick. In a mix, or in a band, "focused" and "more defined" have a lot of meaning. I will have to check out the Taylor Thermex pick, now. That is a new one to me. Picks are comparable to different guitars and amps. They are all better at some things than others -- and even that is somewhat shaped by the people who use them.
The thermex picks have a good grip and sound better than average. But similar to celluloid.

Machine shop for special parts for semiconductors.

I beg to differ, and stand by my claims. Most of them are easily verified. Anyone with a decent pick collection can try and compare the Bluechips to other picks themselves. The overall difference is not subtle.
I have tried tons of pics over the years and still have them all to revisit as needed. Carbon fiber, horn, metal, Casen, gravity gold, gravity plexi glass, tortex, celluloid, etc.
My top ones are Carbon fiber (killer grip, stif, but can click), Blue Chip, Gravity Gold (clear/focused) and plexi glass, and what I’m using currently Taylor Thermex.

to explain a little more...
I use Dunlop stubby 2 mm for hmmm over 25 years now and I like the size and how I play with and the sound ...
But they got round even in one rehearsal session...
So I try to find a similar pick that is durable but will not cost excessivley more..
If a pick will be available fpr about 10-20€ in Germany (or EU) and will last a year at least, nd stays sharp, this would be ok.
If it has similar specs in size, grip and sound like the Stubby...

I splurged recently for one of the $35 jazz sized Bluechip picks and it has become my favorite pick. It stays put between my fingers, sounds great and I have yet to see wear. My previous favorite pick was the Fender Tru-shell pick. Lovely sounding pick, but I burn through the heavy jazz points very quickly.

I use Dunlop stubby 2 mm for hmmm over 25 years now
Years ago I knew a local guitarist who rehearsed in the same place we did, and he worked for Dunlop (about 30 miles from where we live).

He gave me half a dozen Stubby picks and I got hooked before they were even a product that was for sale in the music stores!

I used the 3mm for a long time but they became hard to find and I switched eventually to the Dunlop 1mm Tortex Jazz picks until a few years ago when the other guitarist in my band gave me a JP Jazz III.

Now I go between the two...

Although I have been using mostly no pick the majority of the last year.

After hemming and hawing for months over the price of BC's, I calculated how much I was spending on picks (Dunlop PrimeTone, Flow, etc) and decided the BC's were worth a shot if I wasn't dropping $XX/gig (usually 2 picks either worn out or 1 worn, 1 lost). I've been using the same Blue Chip since February with little wear and much less dropping/losing of picks. AND they sound better than my previous preferences.
Had to chuckle at this...Funny how much more you pay attention to where your pick is when you spend that much on them! I bought some Chickenpicks @ $10 each over a year ago, not as much as the BC but more than the Dunlops I was using and losing. Haven't lost a Chickenpick yet!

I use Dunlop stubby 2 mm for hmmm over 25 years now and I like the size and how I play with and the sound ...
But they got round even in one rehearsal session...
So I try to find a similar pick that is durable but will not cost excessivley more..
If a pick will be available fpr about 10-20€ in Germany (or EU) and will last a year at least, nd stays sharp, this would be ok.
If it has similar specs in size, grip and sound like the Stubby...
Dunlop Stubby picks are made with Lexan -- which is polycarbonate. I have not used them, yet. But, I have noticed that different materials make noticeable differences in the way picks feel and sound. I can say that Bluechip would be warmer and darker than polycarbonate. In fact, Bluechip are warmer than most picks. Probably too warm, if you like the Stubby Picks. Gravity Gold would be different from polycarbonate, but closer to polycarbonate in tone than a Bluechip. I say that because I have used Acrylic picks (Plexiglass) which are very close to polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is a harder type of acrylic than Plexiglass. The Gravity Golds are either 1.0,1.5 for $19 or 2.5 for $29. Weirdly, I can't find, and haven't seen, 2.0 GG's. Also, the GG will be less "clicky" or "chirpy" than polycarbonate. Part of what I like about the GG is that they have a somewhat more noiseless attack. They still have plenty of attack but less "click/chirp" -- if that makes sense. The GG will definitely wear better and longer than polycarbonate. Another hard, long-wearing, pick for you to consider is Dragonheart. They are also very hard and don't wear. The Dragonheart did not suit me because they have a very overt chirp. Also they have no noticeable advantage in gliding over the string than other picks. Metal guys seem to like the Dragonhearts. But, for me, they had a very annoying chirp in the pick attack. When I turned down the treble enough to kill the chirp, it killed my sound. I hope this helps you.

I dig them for acoustic playing, but a little soft on the attack for me when it comes to electric.
I find it depends on the shape. That's one of the reasons I don't use the same pick for electric and acoustic.. For acoustic, it's the big triangular ones (CT55). For electric, I use the IBJ55 (jazz style). The later is definitely not as loud, has less pick noise.

The other reason is so that I don't have to modify my technique more than necessary.

Last edited:
Bluechip are the only ones in my huge collection that I don't have to death grip,
This was the first thing I noticed about using thicker picks, 2mm+. Much more comfortable, natural feeling and more conducive to dynamic playing. I'm currently playing 3.5mm picks, never in a million years did I ever think I'd play anything thicker than 1mm.

Not trying to derail the thread but thought I'd offer my experience. The thing that got me started on a pick search and looking in the 'boutique' world was using Dunlop Petrucci picks. I liked the size, bit bigger than the Jazz III and thicker feel but they have a chirp on the pick attack that could be heard through my gear. During my search I narrowed my decision to Red Bear, Blue Chip, and Chickenpicks. I could live with the cost of the Chickenpicks if I didn't like them so I ordered a 2.5mm and 3.5mm in two different shapes, Badazz III and Shredder.

Let me add that I am not affiliated with Chickenpicks in any capacity. First thing I noticed was the chirp was gone. Second thing was the bevel and how accurate I could be striking the string. I liked the shape of the Badazz III, more of a point, but went with the 3.5mm Shredder because of the thickness. I was pleased to recently discover they started making the Badazz III in 3.2mm. Ordered a couple and at this point am very happy with them. Maybe down the road I'll give the Blue Chips a try but for now I've ended my pick search and am enjoying playing.

This was the first thing I noticed about using thicker picks, 2mm+. Much more comfortable, natural feeling and more conducive to dynamic playing. I'm currently playing 3.5mm picks, never in a million years did I ever think I'd play anything thicker than 1mm.

Not trying to derail the thread but thought I'd offer my experience. The thing that got me started on a pick search and looking in the 'boutique' world was using Dunlop Petrucci picks. I liked the size, bit bigger than the Jazz III and thicker feel but they have a chirp on the pick attack that could be heard through my gear. During my search I narrowed my decision to Red Bear, Blue Chip, and Chickenpicks. I could live with the cost of the Chickenpicks if I didn't like them so I ordered a 2.5mm and 3.5mm in two different shapes, Badazz III and Shredder.

Let me add that I am not affiliated with Chickenpicks in any capacity. First thing I noticed was the chirp was gone. Second thing was the bevel and how accurate I could be striking the string. I liked the shape of the Badazz III, more of a point, but went with the 3.5mm Shredder because of the thickness. I was pleased to recently discover they started making the Badazz III in 3.2mm. Ordered a couple and at this point am very happy with them. Maybe down the road I'll give the Blue Chips a try but for now I've ended my pick search and am enjoying playing.
My favourite regular pick material is Ultex, which the JPs are made of. But yeah, they have a lot of chirp, which I don't like. They sound like poker chips when you drop them on a table. Kinda like "klang", which actually carries over when they hit the strings. Very bright picks with a lot of chirp on the attack.

Back
Top Bottom