Bluechip Picks

After losing my forefinger on my picking hand I switched to playing with my fingers because I could not hold unto a pick at first. Now I'm back at using a pick (fat V-Picks) 90% of the time. On acoustic I finger pick (no nails) 100% of the time because I can't stand the sound of a pick on an acoustic. Just too damn scratchy.
It's definitely not for everyone as a pick facilitates certain techniques that can be very hard to do with fingers only.

Having moved further and further from "shredder" techniques over the years I find I just don't need it and I like the tone better with fingers. I have done a lot of hybrid picking over the years, or "tucking" the pick (or putting it between my lips/teeth)...

But it's pretty freeing to not need one most of the time.

Plus, if it's good enough for Jeff Beck (and Ritchie Kotzen)... ;)

I used to have a hard time with Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, until I realized the right way to play it was fingerstyle. Once I did that, not only was it easy, I started looking for more songs like that to play in my acoustic gigs. But for electric, it's a pick for me, always. I love it!
I do wish I had pursued it more when I was younger though. The things Tommy Emmanuel does with a thumb pick and 3 fingers is mind-blowing! No band arguments, and bass, drums, and guitar all on one instrument!

On acoustic I finger pick (no nails) 100% of the time because I can't stand the sound of a pick on an acoustic. Just too damn scratchy.

I fingerpicked almost exclusively on acoustics for years. I now use the Bluechip picks on acoustic guitar when I need a pick. And, I use a pick on the acoustic more often. After tortoise shell picks went away in the 1970's, I fingerpicked acoustic guitars for decades. I now use the Bluechip picks on acoustic guitar when I need a pick. Because, I also dislike a scratchy pick attack -- or most pick noise. So, it took a while to find an acoustic guitar pick that worked for me. Other people, very famous and very skilled people, have liked a scratchy attack -- Billy Gibbons, Brian May, the Edge -- albeit on the electric.

On another front, I do like to be able to pick, or strike, a string extremely hard, as part of a dynamic range. Hendrix and SRV were my influences in that regard. Hence the stiffer heavier pick. They were also my influences in terms of smooth, legato lead work. Hence, a search for "string glide" in a pick.

Hendrix and SRV used the round corner of a Fender Medium pick for harder, faster picking. The round corner of a celluloid pick is both stiffer and smoother over the strings. I now like the Gravity Gold pick for the same reasons. The GG is both stiffer and smoother. And, the GG also has a fuller thicker tone -- without sacrificing the trebles. Also, the GG allows me to use the sharper point for more precision and tone while still maintaining a stiffer, smoother action. I could say the same thing for the Bluechip picks. But, I would have to add, the Blue chips have a little more string glide and less trebles than the Gravity Gold.

I also like to use economy picking -- which is essentially sweep picking on 2 strings. This is another reason why "string glide" was important me. The Blue Chip pick really made it much easier for me to learn sweep picking with a stiff pick. I really liked the feel a lot. The only thing I didn't like was the darker sound of the Bluechip -- on an electric guitar.

But, as a fingerpicker, I prefer the warm, solid tone of the Blue chip on an acoustic -- and, occasionally, for some mellower songs on electric

Obviously, influences, musical tastes and goals determine a lot about what pick will work best for a particular person.

Bluechip picks are pricey: $35 for 0.035" - 0.060" (0.889mm - 1.524mm.) There have been times in my life where I was careful to spend my food money on items with the most calories. So, I am aware of the "amount per dollar" principal. And, Bluechip picks are not for everyone. Or, even for every situation for someone who likes them. But, maybe, this will help someone to determine whether a Bluechip pick, or a Gravity Gold pick, might benefit them -- I hope this makes determining a first purchase less of a shot in the dark -- and more of an educated guess.

Reactions: jon
OMG! What happened (if you don't mind sharing.) Please don't say table saw accident. That's one of my biggest fears, and I use them a lot, but am razor-sharp focused every time I do.
I worked in a plastic molding factory. Got crushed in one of their big molds in a fluke accident. There was little blood loss do to the extreme heat which cauterized the blood vessels. There was also little left of my finger.

I fingerpicked almost exclusively on acoustics for years. I now use the Bluechip picks on acoustic guitar when I need a pick. And, I use a pick on the acoustic more often. After tortoise shell picks went away in the 1970's, I fingerpicked acoustic guitars for decades. I now use the Bluechip picks on acoustic guitar when I need a pick. Because, I also dislike a scratchy pick attack -- or most pick noise. So, it took a while to find an acoustic guitar pick that worked for me. Other people, very famous and very skilled people, have liked a scratchy attack -- Billy Gibbons, Brian May, the Edge -- albeit on the electric.

On another front, I do like to be able to pick, or strike, a string extremely hard, as part of a dynamic range. Hendrix and SRV were my influences in that regard. Hence the stiffer heavier pick. They were also my influences in terms of smooth, legato lead work. Hence, a search for "string glide" in a pick.

Hendrix and SRV used the round corner of a Fender Medium pick for harder, faster picking. The round corner of a celluloid pick is both stiffer and smoother over the strings. I now like the Gravity Gold pick for the same reasons. The GG is both stiffer and smoother. And, the GG also has a fuller thicker tone -- without sacrificing the trebles. Also, the GG allows me to use the sharper point for more precision and tone while still maintaining a stiffer, smoother action. I could say the same thing for the Bluechip picks. But, I would have to add, the Blue chips have a little more string glide and less trebles than the Gravity Gold.

I also like to use economy picking -- which is essentially sweep picking on 2 strings. This is another reason why "string glide" was important me. The Blue Chip pick really made it much easier for me to learn sweep picking with a stiff pick. I really liked the feel a lot. The only thing I didn't like was the darker sound of the Bluechip -- on an electric guitar.

But, as a fingerpicker, I prefer the warm, solid tone of the Blue chip on an acoustic -- and, occasionally, for some mellower songs on electric

Obviously, influences, musical tastes and goals determine a lot about what pick will work best for a particular person.

Bluechip picks are pricey: $35 for 0.035" - 0.060" (0.889mm - 1.524mm.) There have been times in my life where I was careful to spend my food money on items with the most calories. So, I am aware of the "amount per dollar" principal. And, Bluechip picks are not for everyone. Or, even for every situation for someone who likes them. But, maybe, this will help someone to determine whether a Bluechip pick, or a Gravity Gold pick, might benefit them -- I hope this makes determining a first purchase less of a shot in the dark -- and more of an educated guess.
I think I'm gonna have to give them spin. The 4mm thick V-Picks I use ain't cheap either.

Sorry about that, Tonedeaf. My wife gave me a Bluechip pick for my birthday about 12 years ago. I used it for about a year before it started showing wear. One thing I will say is that pick enabled me to be able to pick faster than I had been able to before. Maybe 10 or 15% faster. And the acquired speed transferred over to other thicker picks, too. I lost the Bluechip so now I mostly use some 1.5mm or 2.0mm Jim Dunlop Primetones.

Back
Top Bottom