BlueAmps Cabinets

You could be surprised when you take it to a gig, haha! But you’re right: It’s a great amp at bedroom levels. But please: Take your time. Ibdont like like all the fractal models and all the IR´s. This is not the fault of the Cubo. Nowadays it´s also a little bit frustrating to play real amps in a music store, because you can tweak the axe over the cubo so much nearer to your taste and needs.

I bought a used Cubo EX on eBay. Looks like new and comes with 3-band EQ and protective case. I also ordered a speaker tilter so that it plays into my ears and not into the back of my knees.
I first tested them in my home studio and compared them with my active NUBERT nuPro A300 monitors (German manufacturer), my Laney LFR-112 FRFR, which I have been playing for a while, and the sound of my Beyerdynamic DT1990 headphones. I noticed that the bass and low-mid range sounded much cleaner in reference to the Laney; I had to boldly intervene with the Global EQ on the Laney.
However, I am a bit disappointed with the CUBO EX treble reproduction; my studio monitors and headphones sound much more transparent here. The Laney also performs better here. I tested here with Fractal FM3 and with music playback at medium volumes. The EQ in the Cubo was set linearly, but even when I turn up the treble control, the crisp, silky quality that I want is missing. Especially with Edge of Break sounds with a Strat and new strings or Music Playback.
I would now be interested to know whether you have had similar experiences or whether the tweeters (CUBO EX has 4x 2-way coax chassis installed) are perhaps defective and, if so, whether they can be replaced.
I can’t second that.
I also use Nubert speakers X 3000RC.
And those are HiFi Speakers which aren’t made to sound flat. (and yes Nubert calls his speakers „honest speakers“ but they are far from flat sounding)
And I’m using very flat headphones „Ollo S4X“ the Beyer DT isn’t really flat at all.
No issues here. The Sound translates very well from my headphones to the Cubo.

You can’t compare them to studio monitors because the made to sound at a different volume.
The Cubo is not made for bedroom volume that’s what studio monitors are made for.

Since you bought the Cubo used, I would let it check from Marco if everything works as it should.

Last edited:
I can’t second that.
I also use Nubert speakers X 3000RC.
And those are HiFi Speakers which aren’t made to sound flat. (and yes Nubert calls his speakers „honest speakers“ but they are far from flat sounding)
And I’m using very flat headphones „Ollo S4X“ the Beyer DT isn’t really flat at all.
No issues here. The Sound translates very well from my headphones to the Cubo.

You can’t compare them to studio monitors because the made to sound at a different volume.
The Cubo is not made for bedroom volume that’s what studio monitors are made for.

Since you bought the Cubo used, I would let it check from Marco if everything works as it should.

I've now rehearsed twice with the Cubo EX, it really doesn't sound bad, has enormous pressure and is pretty loud. Nevertheless, the upper 1-2 octaves of the spectrum are a bit underexposed (which I'm sure many guitarists love). But I wanted a speaker that would give me roughly the spectrum of a well-calibrated PA box so that I could judge what it sounds like in front of the stage.

I have now boosted 2dB at 3.5KHz and Hi-Shelf 3dB at 7KHz in the Fractal Global EQ as well as narrow-banded two resonances at 210Hz -5dB and 660Hz -3dB and I am now pretty happy with the sound.

By the way, I opened the Cubo and checked the speakers individually for defects - everything was fine. The 4Ohm tweeter is decoupled with 6.5uF, which means it only starts to come into play at around 6KHz, the woofer runs full range.

Regarding the Nuberts - I forgot to mention that I just pulled them with the IK Multimedia ARC plugin.
I work about 30 Years professionally with K+H, Neumann and Geithain loudspeakers in music production in the broadcast sector and know what good monitoring sounds like!
Since I listen to guitars more thru speakers in a studio and less directly on stage, I probably have different ideas about the sound i like to hear on stage from my guitar.

The Cubo EX is definitely the best FRFR speaker I have used so far and I really enjoy playing it. I also love the stereo option - a good compromise between two separate speakers and a mono speaker.

I've now rehearsed twice with the Cubo EX, it really doesn't sound bad, has enormous pressure and is pretty loud. Nevertheless, the upper 1-2 octaves of the spectrum are a bit underexposed (which I'm sure many guitarists love). But I wanted a speaker that would give me roughly the spectrum of a well-calibrated PA box so that I could judge what it sounds like in front of the stage.

I have now boosted 2dB at 3.5KHz and Hi-Shelf 3dB at 7KHz in the Fractal Global EQ as well as narrow-banded two resonances at 210Hz -5dB and 660Hz -3dB and I am now pretty happy with the sound.

By the way, I opened the Cubo and checked the speakers individually for defects - everything was fine. The 4Ohm tweeter is decoupled with 6.5uF, which means it only starts to come into play at around 6KHz, the woofer runs full range.

Regarding the Nuberts - I forgot to mention that I just pulled them with the IK Multimedia ARC plugin.
I work about 30 Years professionally with K+H, Neumann and Geithain loudspeakers in music production in the broadcast sector and know what good monitoring sounds like!
Since I listen to guitars more thru speakers in a studio and less directly on stage, I probably have different ideas about the sound i like to hear on stage from my guitar.

The Cubo EX is definitely the best FRFR speaker I have used so far and I really enjoy playing it. I also love the stereo option - a good compromise between two separate speakers and a mono speaker.
Repace the crossover cap on the tweeter with a 10uf or so?

I did work for over 25 years as a studio guitarist and I mostly used to hear a guitar through studio monitors and FRFR/PA Speakers. And sorry mate I still can’t reproduce the loss of the upper 1-2 octaves. And I do have a CLR and RedSound MF10 and various PA/FRFR Speakers.

Back
Top Bottom