Blue mofi headphone vs Yamaha hs5 monitors

• Blue mofi

• Yamaha hs5

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hi,
I live in an apartment and can't get too loud that is why leaning towards the mofi . What do you guys think? I am going to mainly use it for home studio and recording songs. Thank you.

HS5's are good, but they really need a sub, which I have. Unfortunately, you'll want to crank them up because it sounds so good. Get the headphones....if you want quiet.

I've never gone from headphones to live. Don't think it's possible.

That being said, there are patches that are close with headphones, but a few problems:

-Mofi have a built in amp...boosts everything (like bass.)
-There is NO REPLACEMENT for tweaking for gig volume. None. Nada. Zilch.
-Patches dialed in without a band there sound great alone, and tend to be lost in the mix. Back off on 'Verb and Delay, up mids.
-Cab low/high cuts are your friend. Use early and often. Limit Bass guitar territory and cymbal/keys. Again...up mids.

@electronpirate Thanks for the useful info. Do you use monitors too or does the headphone do the job? Basically, if I have to buy the monitors later I rather not spend money on headphones. That is the only thing stopping me from buying the headphones.

@Rex Yeah, I understand that. But would be nice to know if anyone is just using headphones for recording and mastering instead of studio monitors.

@Rex Yeah, I understand that. But would be nice to know if anyone is just using headphones for recording and mastering instead of studio monitors.
Given the changes choice between headphones and monitors, I'd choose monitors every time—provided I could play them at sufficient volume to clearly hear what the tone is doing. Only you know how much volume you can get away with, or whether even low volumes will get you in trouble with the neighbors. If you're trying to dial in live tones, you have a choice—either let the monitors scream, or use headphones.

@Rex Thanks that was helpful. I am thinking of going headphones just cause i can not get loud with monitors. That is why strongly leaning towards headphones, I mean whats the point of using monitors if I can't get loud whereas with headphones I can. I am pretty sure headphones and monitors cover the same frequencies though.

Yours is a tough choice. If you want to play at volume—even at moderate studio volume—'phones may be your only choice. But for practice and general noodling, you can't beat the pleasure of just playing through monitors, without strapping a gadget and another wire to your head. That encourages practicing, composing and such. You really have a case for "I need both." So consider this:

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 555's. Except for the bottom end, they sound very much like my Mo-Fi's. They're discontinued, and you can probably find a pair for about 25% of the price of the Mo-Fi's. Use the savings to purchase a modest pair of used monitors.

You pretty much need 'phones for critical listening in your situation, but I'll bet your monitors get used more often, even if you have to keep them at bedroom levels. ;)

@Rex I am using a solid state Blackstar ID amp for practice and stuff :) Do you still think a monitor is necessary for recording? Thanks for keeping up with me man haha. Kind of noob in recording

@Rex I am using a solid state Blackstar ID amp for practice and stuff :) Do you still think a monitor is necessary for recording? Thanks for keeping up with me man haha. Kind of noob in recording
No worries. We're all noobs at something.

If you can control your Blackstar's volume to the point where you won't piss off your neighbors, then the need for monitors becomes less critical. But if you ever do get he chance to play (and monitor :)) through actual studio monitors, you'll probably want a pair, so keep that in mind as you budget for future purchases.

Back
Top Bottom