Hey X-Mann!

Greetings to Detroit from Munich, Germany. I am Thomas.

I just created my account and saw your posts. I am delighted by your enthusiasm. Why?

Here we go!

I got my Friedman Runt 50 some weeks ago and instantly fell in love with this amp. Very 'rich' clean sound and best drive sound ever (for Classic Rock), a well chosen combination by Dave Friedman.

I did try a couple of drive pedals, very well sounding indeed, e.g. TS808, Archer Klon, Audio Walrus Voyager. However, I hate the switching of channel and effect pedals, delay on/off etc. patch cables everywhere, a good power supply costs decent money, so does the pedal board.

So I checked out for a good Multi-FX and a friend proposed the FX8 to me. After some consideration and information by the friendly German FAS distributor I just ordered the FX8 today. So I will have the same combination of gear. I play a Music Man Luke III BFR in case you are interested.

So I am very happy to read about your experience and that the drive block especially works well. I have no fear that reverb, delay and chorus won't be great, but the dynamics of a good analogue drive seems difficult for me to get into a model.

So for now, just a Hello from good old Germany. In case you are interested to get in contact, please reply.

Best, Thomas

P.S. The amp I had before was a Friedman Small Box 50, pretty decent amp, but the Runt 50 is truly my Baby.

Hey X-Mann!

Greetings to Detroit from Munich, Germany. I am Thomas.

I just created my account and saw your posts. I am delighted by your enthusiasm. Why?

Here we go!

I got my Friedman Runt 50 some weeks ago and instantly fell in love with this amp. Very 'rich' clean sound and best drive sound ever (for Classic Rock), a well chosen combination by Dave Friedman.

I did try a couple of drive pedals, very well sounding indeed, e.g. TS808, Archer Klon, Audio Walrus Voyager. However, I hate the switching of channel and effect pedals, delay on/off etc. patch cables everywhere, a good power supply costs decent money, so does the pedal board.

So I checked out for a good Multi-FX and a friend proposed the FX8 to me. After some consideration and information by the friendly German FAS distributor I just ordered the FX8 today. So I will have the same combination of gear. I play a Music Man Luke III BFR in case you are interested.

So I am very happy to read about your experience and that the drive block especially works well. I have no fear that reverb, delay and chorus won't be great, but the dynamics of a good analogue drive seems difficult for me to get into a model.

So for now, just a Hello from good old Germany. In case you are interested to get in contact, please reply.

Best, Thomas

P.S. The amp I had before was a Friedman Small Box 50, pretty decent amp, but the Runt 50 is truly my Baby.
Hey Thomas........Welcome to Fractal Audio Systems..........& I'm excited for you to get your new FX8.

It's SO easy to use & it changes the Runt 50's channels with ease! Let me know when you get it & or if you need any help too.

It takes the already amazing Friedman amp & turns it into a PRO level rig x1000!

Peace! X

Hey Thomas........Welcome to Fractal Audio Systems..........& I'm excited for you to get your new FX8.

It's SO easy to use & it changes the Runt 50's channels with ease! Let me know when you get it & or if you need any help too.

It takes the already amazing Friedman amp & turns it into a PRO level rig x1000!

Peace! X

Thanks X-Mann, I will do so. Question for now: Do you use the device in Stomp-Box, Scene or Preset Mode? Best, Thomas

Thanks X-Mann, I will do so. Question for now: Do you use the device in Stomp-Box, Scene or Preset Mode? Best, Thomas
I use the bottom row of switches for scenes & run them left to right in order of what happens sound wise per song. The top row of buttons is for drive, modulation, delay & boost.

I run a new preset for every song & use tap tempo for all my delays.

The use of a preset per song is actually for the ability to not get confused & make small tweaks & not affect outher song/tones.

There are many ways to set-up the FX8 & try them all & see what works for you.

X

Last edited:
Hey X-Mann,

thanks for the information. That seems to make a lot of sense, though I would like to have only very few presets by default. I did not know that one can split the buttons functionality the way you describe. 8 Buttons are a powerful battery of sounds.

By the way, I bumped into your YT Videos that show your band gigging while I was checking vids for the Runt 50 amp. Seems you guys had a lot of fun.

Anyway. I will find out what works best for me w.r.t FX8. Is your drive channel for the RUNT set to low or high gain values, i.e. do you further drive the dirty channel or just use a boost. Is the boost pre or post or both?

Thanks for your help, Thomas

Last edited:
Hey X-Mann, Looks like my FX-8 will be here sometime next week most likely. Found a pretty good deal on a used mk1, 2 EV-1 pedals, mounted on a trailer trash board (the one specifically made for the FX8) I'll keep you updated. Definitely want to meet up with you at some point so you can show me around a bit. Thanks!

Hey X-Mann,

thanks for the information. That seems to make a lot of sense, though I would like to have only very few presets by default. I did not know that one can split the buttons functionality the way you describe. 8 Buttons are a powerful battery of sounds.

By the way, I bumped into your YT Videos that show your band gigging while I was checking vids for the Runt 50 amp. Seems you guys had a lot of fun.

Anyway. I will find out what works best for me w.r.t FX8. Is your drive channel for the RUNT set to low or high gain values, i.e. do you further drive the dirty channel or just use a boost. Is the boost pre or post or both?

Thanks for your help, Thomas

Ok......Yea, I have a lot of FUN when I play live shows & even more fun when I'm running a Friedman Amp & a Fractal FX8!!!!!

I run my Friedman Runt 50's gain channel with the on-board boost switch (aka more gain) set to ON, but the drive at around 1 or 2 O'Clock. It's a very Green Day type Marshall tone for the most part. I put a TS808 in front for leads & boost my solos with a scene that has a "Filter" block with around 3.5 db of "Post" volume boost.

I do use the RC Booster (Pre) a lot & the BB Preamp & the "Timmy" are starting to get used more as well.

I ALWAYS have the RC Booster (Pre) in my clean amp channel chain too. I don't like a crystal clean setting live for the most part & prefer to hit the front end a bit.

Peace! X

Hey X-Mann, Looks like my FX-8 will be here sometime next week most likely. Found a pretty good deal on a used mk1, 2 EV-1 pedals, mounted on a trailer trash board (the one specifically made for the FX8) I'll keep you updated. Definitely want to meet up with you at some point so you can show me around a bit. Thanks!
Congrats Frank & While I've NEVER had the original version of the FX8, I'm pretty sure that it will ROCK just as hard as the mkii.

Sounds like you got a great deal here.......& you are about to enter into the "FUN ZONE" brolo!

I love so many things about the FX8 & the Relay amp switching is a HUGE part of that, but I also like many other things. The phaser/flangers are just beautiful & FEEL incredible. I'm a delay whore & love the clarity & quality of the Fractal FX8 (& AX8) delay models.

I also LOVE that I could change tube amps, physical cabinets (2x12 & 4x12) & speakers & my FX8 just goes along for the ride. It's the ONE piece of gear that I see as NEVER going anywhere & ALWAYS being HUGE part of my live stage rig.

I have a Trailer Trash board as well & just love it!!!!! I alternate my FX8 & AX8 on the same board & use the same expression pedal with no issues.
0E8B0CDE-B25C-469A-A54A-86AA1DF13A27_zpsbzmhwfgz.jpg

7B26996F-5214-491E-A128-C8EC3465C341_zpsi5reqj0u.jpg

We will meet one day I'm sure......

Oh.....& I've found a very interesting pattern to the guitar company's that I know use, love & endorse (For Free, because I'm nobody). I need to find the right product 1st & it needs to be a very high quality. Then, the company needs to be run by a great leader that cares.......& then it's the employees & customer service. I can say without a doubt that I'm a lifetime user of Fractal products, Kiesel Guitars & now Friedman amplifiers. Putting your money into Fractal products is an investment in YOUR guitar playing & sound. I know that I landed my new lead guitar gig due to the FX8. After my audition the band leader told me that my playing was spot on & great, but it was the overall sound of my amp & FX & how quiet my rig was.................& the scene/preset changes were just smooth & sounded like a million bucks. It made me laugh & feel very good about all my gear choices in 2016.

Peace & Congrats! X

Side Note: I just had a tube issue/problem with my Friedman Runt amp & had a band practice & went back to my AX8 & FRFR set-up.......& was Re-Blown-Away again!!!!!! Ah.......It's a rough life to have 2-killer guitar rigs ALL powered by Fractal Audio Systems.:D

Last edited:
Yup! I just need to figure out a way to build a MIDI passthrough "box" of some kind that mounts on the board. I run a pedal snake right now that has 5 MIDI cables that carry everything for the 4CM (plus an actual MIDI signal). I want to put a box on my board so I just have to connect the 4 MIDI lines, and the other side connects to the pigtails that convert it to TS(TRS) and connect to the FX8. Don't have much room left on the TT board, so I'll have to get creative. But I think it will be worth it since setup will go much quicker. I play in an original band and we sometimes only have 7-8 minutes to get setup on stage.

@X-Mann have you run the AX8 in four cable method with your runt yet?
Yes & it's good......

I need/want amp channel switching & like the layout of the FX8 better & the slightly lower noise floor.

If you can go without the relays for amp channel switching, the AX8 is a great choice.....& you get the amp modeling too. If you are a clean amp/pedal guy, the AX8 is a great platform for not using your amps drive channel. I'm saying this due to the amp switching alone thing that the AX8 doesn't provide.

I love the "Pre" & "Post" layout of the FX8 & the way the FX interact with my tube amp.....

Buying & trying the AX8 was a gateway drug to finding out that I love Friedman amplifiers. Then the FX8 gave me the Fractal 1-button scene changes & stellar FX......

Good luck here boys.....

I just had a guitar friend over & he jammed on my AX8 & dual ASM-12's while I played the FX8 into the Runt 50 Amp. I set up the presets at separate times, but for the same songs...& the results were funny & just awesome!!!!

X

Last edited:
Just mentioning that the FX8 Mark II will be on hand in the Friedman booth at NAMM!
Send us all a little video X-mann!

Just mentioning that the FX8 Mark II will be on hand in the Friedman booth at NAMM!
Send us all a little video X-mann!
Consider it done M@!!!!

& I will also be taking plenty of videos of Larry Mitchell's annual Thursday night Marriott NAMM Jam too! Larry is a hell of a player & just FUN to watch! \m/

X

Last edited:
I'll NEVER leave my Fractal FX8 "Far Behind" because it's the HEART of my live rig!!!! \m/

Here's a very low volume look at the Fractal FX8 mkii & the preset I created to cover the solo on the song "Far Behind" by the band Candlebox.

This is the FX8 in 4cm into a Friedman Runt 50. I'm using the TS808, mono delay, medium Reverb & Clyde wah here.

I think it sounds great here, but a full band volume it has even more sustain, cut & feeling. I sit great in the mix with the other guitar player, phat bass player & Uber loud drummer!

The Fractal FX8 has changed my live rig & just makes me want to play-out & gif more!!!!

Peace! X

I put a TS808 in front for leads & boost my solos with a scene that has a "Filter" block with around 3.5 db of "Post" volume boost.
Hey X-Mann. Thanks for your detailed information. I received my FX8 some weeks ago, plugged into my Runt 50 (Combo). I am still not yet fully familiar with that piece of equipment. Anyway, the 'scene' philosophy is to my liking as I keep having an overview on what's going on. Most important to me is the drive block. I need to confess that so far I only checked TS808 and the ZenMaster, which both sound pretty superb. Excellent drive sounds, full tone, really good.
My question to you is (I guess) simple: Is there a specific reason that you use the 'Filter-Block' for SOLO? Why not any of the EQ Blocks or just dialing in a higher output level? Which Filter-Type is it btw?

Greetings from Munich, Thomas

Hey X-Mann. Thanks for your detailed information. I received my FX8 some weeks ago, plugged into my Runt 50 (Combo). I am still not yet fully familiar with that piece of equipment. Anyway, the 'scene' philosophy is to my liking as I keep having an overview on what's going on. Most important to me is the drive block. I need to confess that so far I only checked TS808 and the ZenMaster, which both sound pretty superb. Excellent drive sounds, full tone, really good.
My question to you is (I guess) simple: Is there a specific reason that you use the 'Filter-Block' for SOLO? Why not any of the EQ Blocks or just dialing in a higher output level? Which Filter-Type is it btw?

Greetings from Munich, Thomas
Hey there Thomas.....

The quick & short answer is that I use the "Filter" Block as a Volume Boost (3.6db for solos) & as a volume cut (-1.5db) to carve out a place for the vocalist.

I put it after the FX loop of my tube amp & only use it to boost/cut the volume of the original signal.....

I read somewhere on the forum that other guys did this & liked it......& it just works for what I'm trying to do when playing live.

You really need to spend some time with your Fractal unit.....& test things out & build your own presets.

I use between 1 to 4 scenes per song preset & I run a preset for each song. This gives me FULL control over what I want to do......

Good luck on your tone quest buddy!!!

X

Hey guys,

X here & I'm still madley in love w/ ALL things FX8!

I'm currently running it with 3-different tube amps & ALL are working out just great.

My new & latest love is a very cool & compact Mesa Boogie TC-50 amp & a Carvin Legacy-3 2x12 cabinet w/ V30's in it.
40E1A87C-4C19-4A14-BC93-ED70D52C457D_zpswvmkayjn.jpg

Here's a little bit of the Red channel in action at a gig this weekend too.

Warning: Heavy wah guitar faces are out in full force here, so watch at your own risk! :eek:

The Mesa has midi amp channel switching & the FX8 handles it like the Pro level unit it is!

I can't tell you how amazing I find the FX8 & the FX quality is huge, lush & SO awesome! It's so compact & just crazy easy to set-up at gigs.
22F7D159-1842-4AD3-8EAC-59AE8F3D45A0_zps5ffhrlfw.jpg

I love the ease of use & being able to set it up in 4CM & just how it feels at a gig. It really inspires me to play better & puts me in the "X" zone.
DA02C662-D299-46D9-91D4-C4177540E292_zpsm4j68rjj.jpg

If anyone needs some help w/ their FX8 centered rig, please give me a call at 1-800-X-MANN (aka PM me) & I'll do my best to help you out.

Peace! X

Last edited:
Here's a few more w/ the Mesa TC-50 & FX8 rig live at a Buddha Saints show.....\m/

PANAMA

EVERLONG

The Master volume on this 3-channel amp & having all of my song based presets really makes focusing on the playing SO much better!
7A19564F-46F5-4E31-84BE-43A539A90A5B_zpseyigmcce.jpg

The switching is seamless as long as I actually hit the switch at the right time.......lol

The Barefoot Buttons are helping me out a lot too.
7C0FD266-7032-4A3C-BF05-9B3CD0134ACF_zps2yyhgqlf.jpg

I just picked-up some RED buttons for my boost & drive switches too.
58778DBE-7027-4CD9-96D2-1E7197BA0233_zpsxv3byw7m.jpg

Long list be Fractal Audio Systems & its STELLAR staff & customer service!

Peace! X

Hey X. Thanks for all the videos and other info. Especially IRT the TC-50. I love mine. I recently picked up a couple of 6L6s and a couple of 6V6s to try out. I haven't changed anything yet though. The amp is awesome as is.

I also love the FX8 with it. I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the EV-2 (or whatever they call it) so I can put a cool new pedal board together.

Back
Top Bottom