Hey Phil, congrats & PM me your e-mail address & I'll send you a few song specific "X" rigs that are used in my live band videos......

No, there should be NO scratchy pots at all....& call them, they will fix it.

You could spray a very small amount of contact cleaner in the pot while the amp is off & unplugged, work it in......wait a few minutes, then give it a try. That's as far as I'd go trying to fix this myself.....

The Runt 50 amp is making me a better player & a cleaner player too! The amount of clarity on the gain channel is da bomb too!

Here are my settings from the videos.

Clean-X (get it):
B907EDC9-3A02-4B31-8F68-62C781A537A8_zpsate8shg5.jpg

& Dirty-X:
72C1F3F2-7DE4-4DB3-A789-6AC8604A063B_zps1lxgbwjf.jpg

The boost (aka more gain) switch is active, but I only run the gain at 2 O'Clock......

I hope this helps....& what cab are you running?

X

I tried Deoxit on the pot... no joy. I have no concerns. The BE-100 manual says this is normal... maybe for the Runt too?

Update: Dave did confirm this is normal on all his amps.

My settings are around there too, but I still need to dial in. I will try your clean-x settings. lol

I went all out X and bought the Runt 2x12 cab... hey why not!

I have been going back and forth between modeling and amps and seem to be in an amp phase these days and this is a thing of beauty. What an incredible time to be a guitarist with all these options.

Kudo's to Dave for making a two channel where both channels are incredible. I need to spend more time with it, but just experimenting with a strat, paul and a peavy wolfgang the range of tones is awesome!

Couple that with the FX8 and perfect, your are right about that.

PM sent and happy "runting"!

Also to show my Fractal love I ordered up an new FX8 Mark II!

Last edited:
I went all out X and bought the Runt 2x12 cab... hey why not!

Also to show my Fractal love I ordered up an new FX8 Mark II!

Congrats on ALL of this Phil!!!!!

I just love the Friedman Runt 2x12 cabinet & it just sounds (& looks) amazing!

So......You bought the new FX8 too?

Q: Who has two thumbs & is having the BEST 2016 ever?

A: YOU are Phil, you are!!!!!! \m/;)

Let me know how you like it all & if you need any more help, just PM me or send out the "X" signal over Gotham City.......& I'll be there to help! :p

Peace! X-Mann

Hey Phil, congrats & PM me your e-mail address & I'll send you a few song specific "X" rigs that are used in my live band videos......

No, there should be NO scratchy pots at all....& call them, they will fix it.

You could spray a very small amount of contact cleaner in the pot while the amp is off & unplugged, work it in......wait a few minutes, then give it a try. That's as far as I'd go trying to fix this myself.....

The Runt 50 amp is making me a better player & a cleaner player too! The amount of clarity on the gain channel is da bomb too!

Here are my settings from the videos.

Clean-X (get it):
B907EDC9-3A02-4B31-8F68-62C781A537A8_zpsate8shg5.jpg

& Dirty-X:
72C1F3F2-7DE4-4DB3-A789-6AC8604A063B_zps1lxgbwjf.jpg

The boost (aka more gain) switch is active, but I only run the gain at 2 O'Clock......

I hope this helps....& what cab are you running?

X
So, you have my actual Friedman Runt amp settings from the live videos, my FX8 song presets......& now here's the input/output levels I'm using on the new FX8 too.....
46BB80EA-20A0-48BB-8124-AC89F78C3438_zpsza0cyurw.jpg

I hope this helps, but don't be afraid to just twist some knowledge bs until it sounds good & works for you bro!

Peace! X

So, you have my actual Friedman Runt amp settings from the live videos, my FX8 song presets......& now here's the input/output levels I'm using on the new FX8 too.....
46BB80EA-20A0-48BB-8124-AC89F78C3438_zpsza0cyurw.jpg

I hope this helps, but don't be afraid to just twist some knowledge bs until it sounds good & works for you bro!

Peace! X

Thanks X-MANN... I am living large this December! I have been busy with work, never fails, so I haven't had a ton of time to get everything ironed out. I have my input pad at 6.0 db and the rest the same as your settings. I'm chasing some noise that is generated by the FX8 that I can't get out yet. It's white noise that goes away when bypass is engaged.

I did get to dial in tone that works well for my guitar (EVH USA stealth) and my room. I hope to test out some of your presets this weekend!

Appreciate you sharing your experience!

I am joining the the FRactal/FRiedman (the OTHER FRFR..)club so I can hang with the Kool Kids like @X-Mann (whom I ran into briefly in passing last year at NAMM ). .Runt 20 Combo for me, arriving Wednesday,going to integrate it into my new W/d/W quintafhonic rig that now includes every FAS modeler, amongst other silly toys, like the ANtares ATG 1 guitar auto tuner/modeler (don't knock it til you've tried it...).....strictly for my own amusement as my gigging daze are behind me...have any of you Runtheads used the cAb-clone in a W/D/W configure with your FAS gear (I.e. Not using the runts loop, but the CabClone DI out to FX8 or whatever for wet stereo FX with powered monitors...? Just daydreaming about the FRankensteinian potential ahead of me....

Last edited:
I am joining the the FRactal/FRiedman (the OTHER FRFR..)club so I can hang with the Kool Kids like @X-Mann (whom I ran into briefly in passing last year at NAMM ). .Runt 20 Combo for me, arriving Wednesday,going to integrate it into my new W/d/W quintafhonic rig that now includes every FAS modeler, amongst other silly toys, like the ANtares ATG 1 guitar auto tuner/modeler (don't knock it til you've tried it...).....strictly for my own amusement as my gigging daze are behind me...have any of you Runtheads used the cAb-clone in a W/D/W configure with your FAS gear (I.e. Not using the runts loop, but the CabClone DI out to FX8 or whatever for wet stereo FX with powered monitors...? Just daydreaming about the FRankensteinian potential ahead of me....
Dude.......I'm SO eXcited for you!!!!

Congrats on the Runt....

Are you going to Winter NAMM this year again?

X

Enjoy man... killer tone and so much fun! It is a great time to be a guitar player... Also, EXPENSIVE! Hahaha...

Thanks X... I might take you up on some of your FX8/Runt patches! She is here and is a beast... sounds awesome and I can wait to really dig in with it. I do have one problem that I might need to talk to Sweetwater about... the presence knob is very scratch when moving it. It's not the end of the world, of course, but it shouldn't be doing that. It's an awesome amp! The touch sensitivity on this thing is really really good.

I noticed this on my new BE-100 but, like you said, the manual said this is normal and I believe there's a video that says this also. I just set it and leave it. I do get a pop noise when going from Be to HBE though.

I noticed this on my new BE-100 but, like you said, the manual said this is normal and I believe there's a video that says this also. I just set it and leave it. I do get a pop noise when going from Be to HBE though.

Yes, Dave responded to my email and said it's normal on all his amps.

I'm still having an issue with low level white noise, that fluctuates with volume, from my FX8 with the Runt. If I use a TC Sentry pedal, without the FX8, I can dial it out. The FX8 connected to my 5150iii doesn't have the issue. It seems my Runts loop is overly sensitive. lol

Hey Fractal guys......Merry X-Mas & I hope you ALL have a terrific New Years Eve.......

I tried out for a new band a week ago & got the gig. I believe a lot of this was due to my live stage rig & the Fractal FX8. Not only was my tone dialed in, the FX were perfect, tap tempo ready & completely buzz/hum free set-up was all just spot on perfect. Oh....& I was prepared playing wise too.

The new "Timmy" pedal is just fantastic from the new update! I've also been running the BB Preamp pedal into the gain channel of my Friedman Runt 50 w/ jaw dropping results. There's SO much to love about the FX8 & I will be digging in much more in the new year. I need to create a preset for Rage Against the Machines "Killing in the Name" solo.....& we'll see what happens with this....

I can't believe the gear journey I took in 2016.....& what Fractal Audio Systems & this community means to me!

I may not post everyday, but I read all of these threads & learn from you all daily. Thank you guys for each doing your part with all the helpful posts & positive energy here.

I hope your 2017 year Rocks beyond your expectations & I hope to see/meet some of you at the 2017 Winter NAMM show in January too.

Peace! X-Mann

PS - Please let me know if you're going....

Last edited:
Hey Fractal guys......Merry X-Mas & I hope you ALL have a terrific New Years Eve.......

I tried out for a new band a week ago & got the gig. I believe a lot of this was due to my live stage rig & the Fractal FX8. Not only was my tone dialed in, the FX were perfect, tap tempo ready & completely buzz/hum free set-up was all just spot on perfect. Oh....& I was prepared playing wise too.

The new "Timmy" pedal is just fantastic from the new update! I've also been running the BB Preamp pedal into the gain channel of my Friedman Runt 50 w/ jaw dropping results. There's SO much to love about the FX8 & I will be digging much more in the new year. I need to create a preset for Rage Against the Machines "Killing in the Name" solo.....& we'll see what happens....

I can't believe the gear journey I took in 2016.....& what Fractal Audio Systems & this community means to me!

I may not post everyday, but I read all of these threads & learn from you all daily.

I hope your 2017 year Rocks beyond your expectations & I hope to see/meet some of you at the 2017 Winter NAMM show in January too.

Peace! X-Mann

X-Mann

Congratulations on your new gig and an exciting end to the year! I've watched your gear journey with a lot of interest; it's a great time to be a guitar player!

The new "Timmy" pedal is just fantastic from the new update! I've also been running the BB Preamp pedal into the gain channel of my Friedman Runt 50 w/ jaw dropping results. There's SO much to love about the FX8 & I will be digging much more in the new year. I need to create a preset for Rage Against the Machines "Killing in the Name" solo.....& we'll see what happens....

I may not post everyday, but I read all of these threads & learn from you all daily.

Peace! X-Mann

Sounds great, X! I, too, read and learn from this daily as well, and post if I actually have something of value to add.
Good luck on the new band.

Oh, and my new group recently learned that RATM song about the family vacation to Spain, running with the Bulls, and the smiling faces of the kiddies at the beach with overflowing pockets of seashells!
I wasn't very good at solo where he rubs two balloons together to make them squeak, so I just play an outrageous against the machine guitar solo instead!

X-Mann

Congratulations on your new gig and an exciting end to the year! I've watched your gear journey with a lot of interest; it's a great time to be a guitar player!
Thx Phil, that means the world to me & while I create all my videos, content & music for my own personal fulfillment, my 2nd goal is to entertain others.

I have a long list of things I want to accomplish & create in the new year.....& Fractal Audio Systems is a HUGE part of ALL of it now!

Check out my XMann.Music page on "The Facebook".....& you'll see my NAMM adventures & a lot more......OR....Go to XMANNROCKS on Instagram & see more gear pics, NAMM pics & some of my favorite Pro level guitar players....

Guitar, music & gear are all part of the journey through life.....& I just love to document it all.

At times I feel I could write a book about lessons learned about progress on the guitar for a non-natural, getting out of your own way & just creating more music. Lol

It's been a great 2016 & I'm proud of what I accomplished......So far....

I hope 2017 brings everyone great things & Epic guitar moments!!!!

#youcandoit

X

Hey X. Noticed you use to have a 5153 with the FX8. Do you still have some 4CM patches around that you'd be willing to share? I'm about to pull the trigger on an FX8 within the next week or so (my first fractal product) and would love to get someone to help "show me the ropes". Furthermore, I'm local! :) Live over in Livonia. Playing in an original project right now, but plan on starting up a cover group sometime this year.

Happy new year and stuff! Love your excitement and posts.

Last edited:
Hey X. Noticed you use to have a 5153 with the FX8. Do you still have some 4CM patches around that you'd be willing to share? I'm about to pull the trigger on an FX8 within the next week or so (my first fractal product) and would love to get someone to help "show me the ropes". Furthermore, I'm local! :) Live over in Livonia. Playing in an original project right now, but plan on starting up a cover group sometime this year.

Happy new year and stuff! Love your excitement and posts.
Yo, yo Frank!!!!!

I'd be happy to help you out at any time. but I'm not a smart "Mann" at all. Most of my knowledge comes from this forum & its members (yes, I said members)! :p

I have over 40 song specific FX8 presets for a modern Pop/Rock cover band. They are all set-up for the Friedman Runt 50 amp head & that amp is very similar to the 5153. I use the 1/4" relay switching & not the midi switching like the 5153, but these should still work for you.

You're also welcome to bring your new FX8 over to "Studio-X" (Shelby Twp) & I'll show you all that I know bro (& convert you to a Kiesel/Friedman fan too)!

Let me know when you get it & PM me your e-mail address & you'll get a special "X-Mail" of my top Rigs.

Thanks for the kind words......&........well..............um.....Peace! X

Right on brother! I am currently using a POD HD500, which is lacking in just about everything I want right now, and colors my 5153 more than I like, even though I only use a handful of effects. Its fine for most things, but its been glitchy lately and have been having some unity gain issues. (if I bring my gain over about 11 oclock, I get really bad feedback.)

Thanks for the offer to help. I'll keep you posted on when I pickup the FX8. Are you rocking the mk1 or mk2? I'll most likely be picking up a used mk1. Money is an issue and I do not think spending an extra ~ $400 warrants the few improvements on the mk2 currently.

Right on brother! I am currently using a POD HD500, which is lacking in just about everything I want right now, and colors my 5153 more than I like, even though I only use a handful of effects. Its fine for most things, but its been glitchy lately and have been having some unity gain issues. (if I bring my gain over about 11 oclock, I get really bad feedback.)

Thanks for the offer to help. I'll keep you posted on when I pickup the FX8. Are you rocking the mk1 or mk2? I'll most likely be picking up a used mk1. Money is an issue and I do not think spending an extra ~ $400 warrants the few improvements on the mk2 currently.
FX8 mkii..............& I'll still help you either way!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom