Bloody Nut

VeryBadMan

Experienced
So I got this new PRS -SE guitar last week and I'm playing like crazy riffin' like mad n all. Then I notice I'm getting blood on my fretboard , hey , well goes nicely with the Bat Inlays but hurts a bit. Seems the nut is this block of plasticy stuff and its sharp not rounded off and the edge cut the side of my index finger . Its a great guitar great build quality but that nut is a bit eh pointy ! Is there a way file down / cut / smooth that sharp edge in a way I dont ruin the guitar. Or should I just stock up on bandages and Neosporin ?
Do all PRS guitars have that blocky sharpish nut ?

Evidently that's one of the areas where the cut quality to cut price ....

I'd take it to a good luthier and have it changed out for a better quality nut ! I'm sure it would do nothing but improve the entire instrument ( tone, action, tuning, etc; etc; ) ....

So I got this new PRS -SE guitar last week and I'm playing like crazy riffin' like mad n all. Then I notice I'm getting blood on my fretboard , hey , well goes nicely with the Bat Inlays but hurts a bit. Seems the nut is this block of plasticy stuff and its sharp not rounded off and the edge cut the side of my index finger . Its a great guitar great build quality but that nut is a bit eh pointy ! Is there a way file down / cut / smooth that sharp edge in a way I dont ruin the guitar. Or should I just stock up on bandages and Neosporin ?
Do all PRS guitars have that blocky sharpish nut ?

Take a 600 grit sanding stick to it... no more problems!

I have an SE Singlecut, love it, but I had to do this little mod too. The nuts are actually pretty great, they keep everything in tune, and sound pretty decent, but I don't think they see human hands till they pull them out of the box at the guitar store, so they have a bit of a sharp edge on them. I just did what everyone else said, and did a light filing to round it off. Not too much though. I used mine at a gig before I knew it was an issue, and it didn't cut me, but it was irritating to say the least, as I seem to get a bit more aggressive with my left hand technique live, than in the practice room.

Why would your finger be anywhere near the nut?

I often bump into the nut when I play certain songs. There are times I do dramatic technique changes, or just big chord jumps that throw me onto the first fret rather fast, so my had catches the bottom corner of the nut. It happens more live that in practice though, cause I guess I tend to be more into the moment live.

Back
Top Bottom