Blocks routing question

Billbill

Power User
Im sure this one is a simple one I'm just curious about it.
On the grid, what does it mean when either on the input or output, there are multiple shunts either coming from the input and I've seen sometimes 2 or 3 shunts in different rows going to the output?
I'm assuming the signal is split for whatever reason but doesn't that cause signal loss when signal is split into 3 shunts from the input block? Here's a pic of what I'm talking about

Attachments

• IMG_1550.PNG
    IMG_1550.PNG
    173.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1551.PNG
    IMG_1551.PNG
    231 KB · Views: 64
It looks like the screenshots you uploaded may be 2-guitar patches. Hard to say without seeing the settings on the first blocks.

When you split then rejoin a signal it gains 6db so you must cut each path -6db. Examples of why you would split, maybe you want your delay repeats to have compression or tremelo you can have your delay block on it’s own path, 100% mix then through other blocks that only effect the repeats. You just have to be careful how you rejoin the signal.

Last edited:
When you split them rejoin a signal it gains 6db so you must cut each path 3db. Examples of why you would split, maybe you want your delay repeats to have compression or tremelo you can have your delay block on it’s on path, 100% mix then through other blocks that only effect the repeats. You just have to be careful how you rejoin the signal.
That helps thanks. When you mention being careful on how to rejoin a split signal are there any rules of thumb?

That helps thanks. When you mention being careful on how to rejoin a split signal are there any rules of thumb?

Here is an excerpt from the wiki on parallel routing and how to maintain unity gain

I had an error in my post above (-3db vs -6db) and corrected it based on the below.

GM Arts: "Here's a bit of trivia to cover the comments we often see along the lines of: when I combine two blocks in parallel into a single block, it gets louder... The two signals sum, so it's necessary to reduce the output levels of the two blocks so they combine without volume boost. For an equal mix, each block must be set to -6dB. What's not so apparent is what levels to use for unequal mixes, so here they are. This applies to combining two blocks that each have the same level into a single block without volume change." source

-6dB -6dB
-5.5dB -6.6dB
-5dB -7.2dB
-4.5dB -7.9dB
-4dB -8.7dB
-3.5dB -9.6dB
-3dB -10.7dB
-2.5dB -12dB
-2dB -13.7dB
-1.5dB -16dB
-1dB -19.3dB
-0.5dB -25dB

and here is an excellent post by yek on the subject
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wicked-wiki-12-parallel-paths.49482/

Here is an excerpt from the wiki on parallel routing and how to maintain unity gain

I had an error in my post above (-3db vs -6db) and corrected it based on the below.

GM Arts: "Here's a bit of trivia to cover the comments we often see along the lines of: when I combine two blocks in parallel into a single block, it gets louder... The two signals sum, so it's necessary to reduce the output levels of the two blocks so they combine without volume boost. For an equal mix, each block must be set to -6dB. What's not so apparent is what levels to use for unequal mixes, so here they are. This applies to combining two blocks that each have the same level into a single block without volume change." source

-6dB -6dB
-5.5dB -6.6dB
-5dB -7.2dB
-4.5dB -7.9dB
-4dB -8.7dB
-3.5dB -9.6dB
-3dB -10.7dB
-2.5dB -12dB
-2dB -13.7dB
-1.5dB -16dB
-1dB -19.3dB
-0.5dB -25dB

and here is an excellent post by yek on the subject
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wicked-wiki-12-parallel-paths.49482/
Awesome bro thank you!!!

What if you don’t rejoin the parallel pathway and just run in straight across into the output ?

Does that still add to the levels, or does the output mixer section account for this ?

I’ve often split off a signal chain and ran a delay and reverb as two different chains, for a total of 3, just turning up the level in the wet ones to taste, but not adjusting my dry output

I
What if you don’t rejoin the parallel pathway and just run in straight across into the output ?

Does that still add to the levels, or does the output mixer section account for this ?

I’ve often split off a signal chain and ran a delay and reverb as two different chains, for a total of 3, just turning up the level in the wet ones to taste, but not adjusting my dry output
Its the same as rejoining on the grid except you can use the output level controls

Good to know, thanks

In that case, it would be nice to have a similar chart but with how to set three output levels accordingly to keep the same level

Good question I was wondering this as well

What mix value(s) are your delay and reverb blocks set to? If they're at 100% you may not need/want to reduce dry level at all. Charts like the one above become less useful when the signals being combined aren't identical.

That’s the thing about parallel and 100% mix. unity gain is not the goal. You just adjust the level on the delay until you get the mix you want. Since there is no dry signal there should not be a perceived volume difference. The above chart is really meant for combining signals for example if you were running dual amps. To be honest I find parallel to be a hassle and just use a single path most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom