Blocks' input level meter

Hello everybody, first of all I'm sorry if this has already been discussed over here... couldn't find any post so here I am.
I'm wondering if any of you, like I do, think about the possibility to have a very simple input level monitor for the blocks in the axe fx2. This would be very useful to optimize the audio quality avoiding digital clip/distorsion. Think what uppens in the real world... if you don't have an input level display while using a delay, reverb or any other outboards in your setup.
Is this crazy?
Thanks for your opinion or help in case you have already found out a solution.
Cheers
Marco

I certainly agree. When the clip indicator lights up it can be very hard to find the block that causes the clipping.
Unfortunately i think there will not be much development on the axefx2 in the future

Hello everybody, first of all I'm sorry if this has already been discussed over here... couldn't find any post so here I am.
I'm wondering if any of you, like I do, think about the possibility to have a very simple input level monitor for the blocks in the axe fx2. This would be very useful to optimize the audio quality avoiding digital clip/distorsion. Think what uppens in the real world... if you don't have an input level display while using a delay, reverb or any other outboards in your setup.
Is this crazy?
Thanks for your opinion or help in case you have already found out a solution.
Cheers
Marco
Where would this simple input level monitor be displayed?

Where would this simple input level monitor be displayed?
well, there are lots places where an additional info could be placed. Obviously it needs the firmware to be upgrated.

1)The easier way could be to use the page Layout/Move. On this page there are all the blocks used in the preset. Having the first block (or even the following ones in case) in the audio path that has/have an overloaded input blinking, could be useful.
This solution don't needs any new page in the menu, just an additional info into an already existing page.
2) duplicating the Layout/move page for this specific use would be an improvement.
3)adding a very small vu-meter showing the input level on the very first page PG1 of each block editing pages. Or even just a single area in the screen of the same page that gives an info like "OK / Overload" something like an empty (OK) or filled (Overload) small square in the PG1 screen page could be good enough.
4) using the red led that already indicates an overload in the path. Making this led indication, sensitive to the selected block on the Layout page. If you select the overloaded block the led turns red in case. In this way you can scroll throught all the blocks in the preset and once you select the overloaded one the led starts blinking following your play.
And so on.
All the above plus other are possible into the axe-edit software as well (even better in my opinion).
These are the first options I immagine but there are many more.
Just my two cents

Cheers everyone, Marco

well, there are lots places where an additional info could be placed. Obviously it needs the firmware to be upgrated.

1)The easier way could be to use the page Layout/Move. On this page there are all the blocks used in the preset. Having the first block (or even the following ones in case) in the audio path that has/have an overloaded input blinking, could be useful.
This solution don't needs any new page in the menu, just an additional info into an already existing page.
2) duplicating the Layout/move page for this specific use would be an improvement.
3)adding a very small vu-meter showing the input level on the very first page PG1 of each block editing pages. Or even just a single area in the screen of the same page that gives an info like "OK / Overload" something like an empty (OK) or filled (Overload) small square in the PG1 screen page could be good enough.
4) using the red led that already indicates an overload in the path. Making this led indication, sensitive to the selected block on the Layout page. If you select the overloaded block the led turns red in case. In this way you can scroll throught all the blocks in the preset and once you select the overloaded one the led starts blinking following your play.
And so on.
All the above plus other are possible into the axe-edit software as well (even better in my opinion).
These are the first options I immagine but there are many more.
Just my two cents

Cheers everyone, Marco
part of the issue though is you can't really "overload" a block.

what's "overloading" is the analog convertor, which is at the very end anyway. so adjusting any block, really, will solve the issue. i've seen presets where the cab block level was +15 dB for some reason, and later, a reverb block was -20 dB or similar, and the preset didn't clip and didn't sound distorted.

part of the issue though is you can't really "overload" a block.

what's "overloading" is the analog convertor, which is at the very end anyway. so adjusting any block, really, will solve the issue. i've seen presets where the cab block level was +15 dB for some reason, and later, a reverb block was -20 dB or similar, and the preset didn't clip and didn't sound distorted.

Ok, I'll make some test and report the result on here. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom