Block Update Strategy?

CodePoet

Fractal Fanatic
I'm interested in hearing people's workflow for updating blocks in the block library.

When a preset is loaded, does/should Axe-Edit know and link which block library entry a block came from? I ask as it doesn't seem to (but I'm not sure that it ever did) and this seems to be the only way to get AE to use the Save/Save As functionality to update an existing block. This presents a challenge as if you want to update a saved block, you have to remember which block it was (which could be tough as there's not a way to know), re-load it from the block library menu (hoping nothing else was changed in the interim which is key), make your changes, and then you can to a Save to update the existing block name. If you don't do a re-load and try a save with the same name, AE will complain that the name already exists and you have to give it a new name. Is that the proper workflow for that scenario or is there some other way to update an existing block? (While you can delete old blocks from the file system, renaming a block file doesn't rename the block in AE).

(It seems like in prior versions of AE, it worked similarly to the above but you could attempt a save of a block with the same name and it would overwrite the block.)

I'd love a way to be able to update the block with the same name as it seems like you can do that only when editing preset the first time or upon reloading the block. Thanks for any input or suggestions!

In my experience it holds onto the block name from the library after adding/selecting a block only until the preset is switched.

I guess as long as it is a block type you can have one more of in a preset, you could temporarily add the target block from the library in an empty slot, copy the block with the settings you want to save over it into that slot, and have access to the full range of save/save-as/rename/etc. in the context menu that pops up. It'd be nice if, when there is a name collision, it would give the option to choose a different name or overwrite the existing one.

There is no linkage to the saved block aside from while actively loading/saving it in the current preset.

You might want to consider global blocks, but also might not be what you're after.

Remember that saved blocks are an Axe-Edit only feature - the Axe Fx itself has no knowledge of them.

It'd be nice if, when there is a name collision, it would give the option to choose a different name or overwrite the existing one.

Yep, I think at a minimum, that would help. Seems like you used to be able to do that.

I did find in Axe-Edit the Preset / Save as Blocks in Library function which saves all the blocks to a folder with the name of the preset. So if you got in the habit of doing that when you save your presets, it could help a bit. It wouldn't give you the common library approach but you could more easily find and dig a block out of another preset.

You might want to consider global blocks, but also might not be what you're after.

Yeah, they're an option. I'm a bit wary of them in general as it's easy to make inadvertent changes as there's not a way to identify them or keep up with their changes. They also open up another vector for issues with updates/saving/sharing.

Remember that saved blocks are an Axe-Edit only feature - the Axe Fx itself has no knowledge of them.

Yep, and that is fine. Just looking for a great organizational system and workflow to keep up with a library of blocks. It's all about the process.

Thanks for the input!

Yeah, they're an option. I'm a bit wary of them in general as it's easy to make inadvertent changes as there's not a way to identify them or keep up with their changes.
Not quite sure I follow you. Every global block has a global instance number. You can see the number used in every preset.

Not as nice as a name, but worst case make a list on your computer...

Not quite sure I follow you. Every global block has a global instance number. You can see the number used in every preset.
Not as nice as a name, but worst case make a list on your computer...

That's it - you can't name them in the unit or Axe-Edit so you need to keep up with them on a separate list. That's not a big deal. But you do have to keep an eye on your blocks and realize if you tweak a global block it's changing things elsewhere. That's their blessing and curse and sometimes that's more than I can remember ;). I've also had issues in the past where a firmware update would mess up some things when using global blocks so I'm a bit skittish I suppose.

But...now that I think about it, I could keep some global blocks and load them but not link them - that would keep the presets clear of them but still be able to have a common repository. I think I'll probably go with a combination of unlinked global blocks and loading/saving from the block library.

You've helped me talk it through - thanks!

(It would still be nice to be able to overwrite a block - maybe @Michael Pickens could review and take a look?).

That's it - you can't name them in the unit or Axe-Edit so you need to keep up with them on a separate list. That's not a big deal. But you do have to keep an eye on your blocks and realize if you tweak a global block it's changing things elsewhere. That's their blessing and curse and sometimes that's more than I can remember ;). I've also had issues in the past where a firmware update would mess up some things when using global blocks so I'm a bit skittish I suppose.

But...now that I think about it, I could keep some global blocks and load them but not link them - that would keep the presets clear of them but still be able to have a common repository. I think I'll probably go with a combination of unlinked global blocks and loading/saving from the block library.

You've helped me talk it through - thanks!

(It would still be nice to be able to overwrite a block - maybe @Michael Pickens could review and take a look?).
Yes... Definitely come with their own set of "challenges".

Glad to help :)

Just remembered, another difference is that global blocks don't attach your modifiers but loading from the block library will. So if you need that, loading a block can help you out.

Back
Top Bottom