Block Libraries for Effects?

@TG3K How nice for you to have the time and resources to research and recreate a mysterious effect and then tell others to figure it out on their own, instead of sharing and promoting your mystery effect and making it better with outside input.
Good thing academia doesn't work that way.
I'm all for folks sharing things that they want to share and appreciate it (even though I rarely use them), but it's a bit entitled of you to call someone out for opting to not share.

Whether he has time or not doesn't mean he owes you anything for his own hard work and effort.

So? I never said for free.
I fucking pay and do gladly for an effects library for Axe. Just imagine how much I've already paid in IRs, presets, profiles, vsts and hardware across the spectrum of musical creation and recording.
I have no idea how to get the cool 2290 modulation effect in AIC's Love Hate Love or UAD's 480L emulation Ambience, or any of a million other cool effects I'm sure Axe is capable of but I'd rather play guitar than twiddle and lose interest because of option paralysis.
Which is why I buy presets from people like Austin Buddy and cabs from York, Bonkers and ML.
Axe FX III is the only device I own that lacks individual presets for effects outside of factory algorithm selections.
Block Library is empty unless I fill it. I don't always have the time, especially not when I want to play and create and escape.
Your hate only makes me stronger.

I posted in the 'wish list' an idea about focusing on effects rather than full presets and how many of the factory presets were wasted on single ideas and how we're better off exchanging effect blocks than full presets because we all have different guitars/tastes in tones/and the amps/everything doesn't translate well at times...
I want my folder in Axe Edit to look like a Musicians Friend catalog

I think Fractal should invest a LOT more in integrating sharing patches to the cloud library more accessible and attractive because that's a very large blocker to more adoption, the quality and quantity of patches available for the FX 3 is not very good - which doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the effort of who already shared, I think it should happen a lot more.

Not very good? I’m sorry, but I don’t understand your conclusion.

This was one of my biggest surprises once I moved over to Fractal products a few years ago. There are lots of presets centered around the amps and metal tones and all that. But almost nothing in terms of dedicated FX packs that you can purchase. Some users have uploaded some stuff, for example Simeon shared a gold mine of great FX blocks awhile ago, and I use those a lot. But If I could buy an preset pack called "Ambient Dreams and Soundscapes" I would snatch that up in a heartbeat! For what it is worth I also own an Eventide H9000, and there is next to no sharing or presets packs for that as well, so this isn't just a Fractal thing.

I've been trying to talk myself out of buying an H9000 for the last month or so. I'm winning so far but every mention nudges me closer to the buy button.

might i humbly suggest you pop over to my website and download the presets and block files for the axefx 3 that are over there. (link in sig). the block files aren't based on particular effects, but they might come in handy when building your own presets. if you like them and you use them, please donate something using the paypal button at the bottom of the page. the hapless creator would very much appreciate it.

back in the day, when the effects in the original units were much more generic, this effects library idea was a worthwhile endeavour, but since the III came along and had all it's algorithms updated, there are plenty of "types" of each effect that seem to make this quest only relevant to the most rare or esoteric of effects. personally, i think time spent learning how to creatively dial in what we have, rather than trying to emulate specific things that we don't have, is time well spent. but that's just me.

@johnnypig if you wanna have a bash at curbing your gas, hit me up...i'm sure we can get some shit going that'll scratch that itch

I've been trying to talk myself out of buying an H9000 for the last month or so. I'm winning so far but every mention nudges me closer to the buy button.
The H9000 is the deepest most powerful piece of FX gear I have ever used or seen. But... it is still pretty buggy, and overall seems like a work in progress in terms of the UI and workflow. You can tell that it is going to be Eventides flagship for the next decade at least, so I feel like they let it out a little early just to get it rolling. By itself it needs to become a personal hobby just to get to know it and use it.

That being said, overall I am more impressed with the overall package of the Axe-FX 3. While it isn't as deep with FX, it keeps up pretty damn well. There is nothing in the H9000 in regards to amp modeling, so Fractal is the king there. But the combination of Fractal and H9000 means that I probably will never buy another FX pedal again. And the possibilities are pretty endless.

The H9000 is the deepest most powerful piece of FX gear I have ever used or seen. But... it is still pretty buggy, and overall seems like a work in progress in terms of the UI and workflow. You can tell that it is going to be Eventides flagship for the next decade at least, so I feel like they let it out a little early just to get it rolling. By itself it needs to become a personal hobby just to get to know it and use it.

That being said, overall I am more impressed with the overall package of the Axe-FX 3. While it isn't as deep with FX, it keeps up pretty damn well. There is nothing in the H9000 in regards to amp modeling, so Fractal is the king there. But the combination of Fractal and H9000 means that I probably will never buy another FX pedal again. And the possibilities are pretty endless.

My rig used to be a Triaxis, an Eventide Orville and/or Eclipse, and the mesa 20/20 poweramp.
Wasn't a tone I couldn't get out of that! But man, the learning curve on the Eventide stuff...it was quite a leap from pedals, Digitech, and most of my gear life. Good memories though. I often look at the h9000 demos and sigh wistfully...but then I go back to playing my Axe-Fx. :)

This was one of my biggest surprises once I moved over to Fractal products a few years ago. There are lots of presets centered around the amps and metal tones and all that. But almost nothing in terms of dedicated FX packs that you can purchase. Some users have uploaded some stuff, for example Simeon shared a gold mine of great FX blocks awhile ago, and I use those a lot. But If I could buy an preset pack called "Ambient Dreams and Soundscapes" I would snatch that up in a heartbeat! For what it is worth I also own an Eventide H9000, and there is next to no sharing or presets packs for that as well, so this isn't just a Fractal thing.

I would imagine the typical user for a product like the H9000 is a pro studio user so likely time is money, and they aren’t really trading presets with a user base in their downtime, and it’s probably priced a bit out of what the typical hobbyist user would want to spend

likewise, most users of such higher end outboard gear have specific settings they are using. You don’t really buy a $5000 compressor, channel strip etc and expect a preset for “female vocal” etc. You probably know a bit of what your doing and dial up your own unique vocal chain.

As an aside, it seems once an effect gets popular enough to start showing up in presets it’s already so played out I don’t think many want to use it.

take the “shimmer” effect for example.... cool at first, everyone wanted to copy it, then it’s built into most every new product, but it’s almost cheesy sounding because we heard it done to death already. It was like the whammy pedal in the 90’s. Every gig I went to had a wanna be Tom Morello doing squeals with the pedal and when your the 3rd dude on stage that night doing the same thing it’s just not cool.

Better to craft a cool and unique sound that others will want to emulate instead of trying to copy what’s already been done, IMO

I just tried to upload a block in axe-change but only .syx are accepted, not .blk.
Once you save a block, you can find it in your documents folder.

Warning - FM3 block

This is an amp dialed ad-hoc but it can practically be anything that can be saved as block.
If this works on a compatible unit (FM3 or Axe III) then we can start a topic say "Exchange Blocks" and under that sub-topics for amps, cabs, delays, GEQs, etc...

1613672505491.png

Attachments

• ENGL-SVGE_20210218_131627.blk
    1.7 KB · Views: 6
I would imagine the typical user for a product like the H9000 is a pro studio user so likely time is money, and they aren’t really trading presets with a user base in their downtime, and it’s probably priced a bit out of what the typical hobbyist user would want to spend

likewise, most users of such higher end outboard gear have specific settings they are using. You don’t really buy a $5000 compressor, channel strip etc and expect a preset for “female vocal” etc. You probably know a bit of what your doing and dial up your own unique vocal chain.

As an aside, it seems once an effect gets popular enough to start showing up in presets it’s already so played out I don’t think many want to use it.

take the “shimmer” effect for example.... cool at first, everyone wanted to copy it, then it’s built into most every new product, but it’s almost cheesy sounding because we heard it done to death already. It was like the whammy pedal in the 90’s. Every gig I went to had a wanna be Tom Morello doing squeals with the pedal and when your the 3rd dude on stage that night doing the same thing it’s just not cool.

Better to craft a cool and unique sound that others will want to emulate instead of trying to copy what’s already been done, IMO

You must have seen one of my bands play back in the 90’s. I wasn’t going for Morello though, much more Vai/Dimebag!

I think Fractal should invest a LOT more in integrating sharing patches to the cloud library more accessible and attractive because that's a very large blocker to more adoption, the quality and quantity of patches available for the FX 3 is not very good - which doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the effort of who already shared, I think it should happen a lot more.

Not very good? I’m sorry, but I don’t understand your conclusion.
Agreed. I've had large MIDI-controlled racks in the past to achieve my 'perfect sound'.

The Axe III has all of my best tones stock, and hundreds more.

Party on, FAS!

My rig used to be a Triaxis, an Eventide Orville and/or Eclipse, and the mesa 20/20 poweramp.
Wasn't a tone I couldn't get out of that! But man, the learning curve on the Eventide stuff...it was quite a leap from pedals, Digitech, and most of my gear life. Good memories though. I often look at the h9000 demos and sigh wistfully...but then I go back to playing my Axe-Fx. :)
Mine was a TriAxis and Simul 2:90 with a couple Tom Scholtz original PowerSoaks and two Recto cans.

Eventually swapped out the TriAxis for wider flexibility of a Boss GT-Pro. That's when my number of tone options skyrocketed.

Now the AF-III has eclipsed any previous rig I've ever had, and then some.

I too think a block exchange site would be awesome.

I've been a professional software engineer for 35 years, so maybe I'll carve some time out from playing, and build a site.

I'll have to check with FAS, and see if they have a 3rd party developer NDA . I would really like to avoid rwverse-engineering their block file format that gets saved to disk.

+1 on this. Particularly emulating other well known or famous sounds. I’d be very much in the camp of “I’ll pay for this.”

I wish I had to the time to do this on my own with the tools in the box, but I don’t. I’m relearning guitar with my dominant (left) hand (long story) so I’m putting in time there.

For now, I tend to peruse Axechange and save blocks I find interesting. @2112 recently shared some amazing blocks as well and thank you again Leon for that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom