Block for A/B switching?

Sturla

Inspired
Which block(s) can be used as a A/B-switch between to parallell signal paths? Forvexample if you split the signal after the input block into two separate paths with an amp block in each.

I’m coming from the AX8, and made the switch this weekend. With the single amp-block in the ax8 I never used much paralell signal paths.

You could just set the Amp block's fx bypass state to "Mute", so you're not getting any signal down the chain when the amp is in bypass.

My mental picture was kind of a A/B box in front of the two chains. But I guess I would achieve the same thing with the two paths collapsing into a multiplex before the output block, and use channels to choose which path that is routed through to the output.

The mixer seems to be a good option too. Then I also can blend the two paths.

As stated in the Wiki the Multiplexer can only run one line (or source) at a time. So if you want to run two amps in parallel or morph between them using an expression pedal the Mixer block is your friend. Simply by-passing one of the parallel amps (set the "Bypass mode" to "Mute") will also work if you only run one at a time and in that case you don't need neither a Mixer nor a Multiplexer.
One cool thing you can obtain by using the Mixer block and control it by an expression pedal is that you can utilize the channels in the Mixer block to either run one line (Amp) at a time or both and morph (step-less change from one to the other controlled by the Expression pedal. I have set up mine so that the Mixer on Channel A is fixed to only run Amp 1 (with its different channels, i.e. Volume on Row 1 on 100% and Volume on Row 2 on 0%), Mixer Channel B runs only Amp 2 (, i.e. Volume on Row 1 on 0% and Volume on Row 2 on 100%) and on Mixer Channel C the Expression pedal control the amount of each amp that is let through (i.e. morph between the two amps, e.g. heel down is Volume on Row 1 on 100% and Volume on Row 2 on 0% and toe down is Volume on Row 1 on 0% and Volume on Row 2 on 100%). The way to achieve this is using the opportunity to set which Channel on the Mixer block that is controlled by the Modifier (Expression pedal in my case). Remember to make the Expression pedal / modifier active on the rows you want to control. You can also change the response of the Expression Pedal by adjusting the "response curve".

It would have been even better if the Modifier could be set to e.g. Channel A and B or A, B and C or C and D in addition to the current selection which is "All" or only one of the channels. This goes for all blocks (amps, cabs, effects ++).... perhaps I should post a "Whish" on this ...??
By the way; I also live in Norway (Stjørdal) and have an Ax8 and Axe Fx III (got a II just after FW 9 (not Q9) was released, upgraded to XL and sold my XL just before I got the III) and have never looked back after being "Fractalized" :).

Edited after the original post.

Last edited:
I use Scenes for this. Set both Amp block bypass types to 'Mute'. Enable which ever one you need in each scene.

One cool thing you can obtain by using the Mixer block and control it by an expression pedal is that you can utilize the channels in the Mixer block to either run one line (Amp) at a time or both and morph (step-less change from one to the other controlled by the Expression pedal. I have set up mine so that the Mixer on Channel A is fixed to only run Amp 1 (with its different channels, i.e. Volume on Row 1 on 100% and Volume on Row 2 on 0%), Mixer Channel B runs only Amp 2 (, i.e. Volume on Row 1 on 0% and Volume on Row 2 on 100%) and on Mixer Channel C the Expression pedal control the amount of each amp that is let through (i.e. morph between the two amps, e.g. heel down is Volume on Row 1 on 100% and Volume on Row 2 on 0% and toe down is Volume on Row 1 on 0% and Volume on Row 2 on 100%

I use Scenes for this. Set both Amp block bypass types to 'Mute'. Enable which ever one you need in each scene.

Now wondering why I never thought to try either of these approaches.......I mainly play with an AX8 but I have a II sat doing nothing in its rack case; (don't have a III sadly). Great excuse to put the II back into use. Thank you! Is the morphing between amps idea possible on the II?

You can totally morph between amps with the II. @Moke has some really great posts regarding doing this from long ago in the AxeFXII area. It certainly helped having a good source document.

Lee

Back
Top Bottom