Blindtest: FW9 vs FW11

A is clearer, B has some mud, or kind of blanketed sound. I could hear the difference of both in and out of mix quite clearly. I prefer A.

now, someone's preference of 9 vs 11 is a whole different story. anyone can prefer anything. it's the people who have stated that 9 IS in fact better than 11 (in effect making the axe worse with 11) i have issue with.

I don't believe that any one of the posts regarding a person's preference for FW9 (no matter how vehement) can be considered a fact! Your post is self contradictory.

I prefer A.

A= V9
B= V11

And I could work with both sounds , just a matter of some tweaking, BUT i would prefer B , less polished , more `live`sounding....:)

Last edited:
I much prefer A in both cases.

It is difficult to make this a fair test.

If you simply changed the 'FW settings' in order to make the comparison, it doesn't necessarily mean that you are achieving an optimum tone from the sample with the FW version you DIDN'T use to dial in the original sound.

To me, it sounds to me that you dialled your sound in with whatever FW settings are in A which is why B sounds lacking.

With a twist of a few controls in the amp block, I'm convinced you could make B sound better which could make A sound worse.

I suppose the most useful (albeit unscientific) test is to have the same person dial in the best tone they can from scratch in each FW.

If you simply changed the 'FW settings' in order to make the comparison, it doesn't necessarily mean that you are achieving an optimum tone from the sample with the FW version you DIDN'T use to dial in the original sound.

To me, it sounds to me that you dialled your sound in with whatever FW settings are in A which is why B sounds lacking.

Yeah, this test is a little bit of a grey area.

I much prefer A in both cases.

With a twist of a few controls in the amp block, I'm convinced you could make B sound better which could make A sound worse.

I suppose the most useful (albeit unscientific) test is to have the same person dial in the best tone they can from scratch in each FW.

Both sample amps are on factory default settings. I didn't tweak anything, only made adjustments on the other amp to make it like FW 9.

The differences in the cabs used will contribute to the vast majority of any differences you'll hear. A more interesting comparison, IMO, would be to use the same cab on both but with v11 vs. "v11 tweaked to sound like v9" amp settings.

So, is this one of those tests where at the end you tell us both samples were from a cheap Line 6 pod and we are too stupid to know the difference? lol

Sample A is better.

The goal was to give somekind of example how these two firmwares differ soundwise. That's why i used the V9 cabs on the fw9 tone. That is what Cliff adviced to use, if someone is seeking that more polished fw9 sound. Also, you wouldn't have fw11 cabs on fw9.

So, is this one of those tests where at the end you tell us both samples were from a cheap Line 6 pod and we are too stupid to know the difference? lol

Sample A is better.

No monkey bisnes this time! :D
I have also made a very nice rhythm patch that i'll demo to you guys later and i'll put it on Axe change for you to download. It is the "golden middle road" of firmware 9 and 11.

The goal was to give somekind of example how these two firmwares differ soundwise. That's why i used the V9 cabs on the fw9 tone. That is what Cliff adviced to use, if someone is seeking that more polished fw9 sound. Also, you wouldn't have fw11 cabs on fw9.

True, but my point is that the cab used will make most of the difference. So it ends up being "FW9 cabs vs. FW11 cabs" much more than "FW9 vs. FW11".

Personally, I think a lot of people fuss and obsess way too much with amp choice, amp settings, differences in amps from one FW to the next, etc. The CAB (IR) makes most of the tone.

In b4 demands you switch back to FW 9.

By the way, I'll throw my cards into the game. I prefer the first tone. I believe the mids are better balanced and that the sound has overall nicer dynamics. I'd almost bet my buttocks that it's 11 optimal settings. Thanks for letting us play!

Fractal forum have had some talk about which firmware version is "better". So i decided to make a little blindtest. I won't tell you which sample is which firmware. Just pick your favourite.

You first hear SAMPLE-A with drums, then SAMPLE-B with drums. After that you'll hear SAMPLE-A guitars only and then SAMPLE-B guitars only.
Guitar tracks are double tracked and hard panned to L and R.

Both amps have the same factory settings and cabs, but of course the FW9 version have to have these changes done:

-MIMIC™ to off
-Triode hardness to 0.0
-Increase transformer matching to 1.2 or so
-Set power supply type to DC
-V9 Cabs

You can comment which one you like or think is FW9 or FW11.

I'll let you know which sample is FW9 and which is FW11 later. :encouragement:

A has more definition - you can hear the edges of the tone. :encouragement:

B sounds like someone through a wet blanket over it. :)

Back
Top Bottom