Blindtest: Axe Fx2 vs Amplifire (Recto + ML SOUNDLAB)

DTS

Experienced
I wanted to give it a try to get as close as possible with Atomic Amplifire to match my Axe-Fx Dual Rectifier tone.

Here we have three different rectifier tones. One is Amplifire and two are Axe Fx2:

Can you hear the difference?

I hear a huge difference in the third segment, whichever that may be. They all sound good on my 5" 100w monitors.

Path of Shadows sounds good too :)

I don't know anything about fitting things in the mix but my ears really like that I can hear all the instruments clearly and balanced. Cymbals are usually my biggest turn off, I hate cymbals. Yours don't bug me lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: DTS
I don't know which is which, because I think any of those sounds could have come from the Axe if dialed in. But I do know, I would love your recto patch used in the Path of Shadows tune! What a great tone!

Reactions: DTS
Clip #2 is the Amplifire and it has the same IR as Axe-Fx clip #1. Axe-Fx clip #3 is a same preset as #1, but different IR.

I got the Amplifire sound so close to my Axe Fx II Recto preset, that i couldn't believed it at first. This gave me an idea to do the same with couple of my other go-to Axe-Fx presets and see if i can nail them too with Amplifire.

Clip #2 is the Amplifire and it has the same IR as Axe-Fx clip #1. Axe-Fx clip #3 is a same preset as #1, but different IR.

I got the Amplifire sound so close to my Axe Fx II Recto preset, that i couldn't believed it at first. This gave me an idea to do the same with couple of my other go-to Axe-Fx presets and see if i can nail them too with Amplifire.
Guess that means the amplifire would make a great backup for your axefx! Bonus!

Yeah.
That was one reason for me to buy this unit. Main reason was to have a more portable and good sounding modeler for rehearsals.

IR's make all the difference with any modeler. Also truer test would be to contrast the way they both handle variations in pickup choice and input dynamics. I find that most modelers cannot match the Axe FX in the way it recreates the full spectrum of subtle tones and textures you get when you roll off the guitar volume and tone controls. With tweaking they can usually sound pretty darn good for a given gain level, but the Axe stands above the others when the input gets more dynamic. That said, the competition has certainly gotten better over the years. It's a good time to be a guitar player for sure.

Reactions: Rex
I agree. IRs are one of the most important thing in modelers. Axe FX II is absolutely amazing box of tone. I'd say it has a better feel when playing and the tones are more detailed if that is a right Word to descripe it and the effects are light years ahead of any other modeler out there.

Amplifire is a very nice product as well. It delivers a lot beeing this small and simple unit.

It sure is a win/win to be a guitarist. :)

Back
Top Bottom