Blind Test #1: Axe-Fx III vs. Real Amp

This is funny, the same people who claim the Model is identical are the ones who sit all day waiting for updates that "Improve" the modeling, i.e bringing it closer... Are you at the 170% identical mark by now...lol
How can you improve on a perfect model...? Whatever. im outta here. Have a great weekend all.

The sample of the real amp I posted was Tone Matched, so it wasn't replicated exclusively via the modeling.

This is funny, the same people who claim the Model is identical are the ones who sit all day waiting for updates that "Improve" the modeling, i.e bringing it closer... Are you at the 170% identical mark by now...lol
How can you improve on a perfect model...? Whatever. im outta here. Have a great weekend all.

Some of us enjoy the updates because things sound more pleasing to the ear than they did before. Not because they're "closer to identical".

Some of us also play music. Not all of us are hair splitting enthusiasts.

Clipped wave at a constant dynamic performance is always going to be much easier to model or clone. there is no news in this,
However if you presented a dynamic performance on a more dynamic amp setting, you would have been able to compare the amps in a more realistic manner. Thats all im saying.
That's understandable and I'd even agree.

But I think it's pretty telling that this wasn't your first response, and rather your first response was "the resolution is so low that its really not something that can be judged. Do you have a full resolution files? Its all smeared." lol

Anyway, time for the reveal.

As some seem to have guessed, samples 1 & 2 were the same recording. Consequently samples 3, 4 and 5 were also the same recording.

So, which set of recordings were the real amp?

Real Amp: Samples 3, 4 and 5

Axe-Fx III: Samples 1 & 2
Cool! I wonder what that chirp from the III is. Same guitar DI signal for all five right?

Anyway, time for the reveal.

As some seem to have guessed, samples 1 & 2 were the same recording. Consequently samples 3, 4 and 5 were also the same recording.

So, which set of recordings were the real amp?

Real Amp: Samples 3, 4 and 5

Axe-Fx III: Samples 1 & 2

This is really interesting.
Personally I couldn't tell any difference between the model and the Amp, but I wonder why #4 stood out to some people...

3 & 5 are the real amp - possibly 4

1 & 2 are axe-fx - possibly 4

edit: made adjustments after the 2nd listen :)

In the beta2 thread dumbeat said you can always tell the real amp by the mids and upper clarity. I heard mids and upper clarity in the axe clips was why I chose those. Very little difference but it's there and I actually prefer it.

It's interesting that most of us could hear some difference, although some guessed it wrong, yet the challenger could not.

The difference I could hear was eq , less bass on 1 and 2, but as amp vs axe, could not.

I wouldn't be surprised if the load box muffled the tone a bit on the real amp and that is why the Axe-FX III sounded clearer to some people. What load box did you use?

This is why I don't win the lottery, I always pick the exact opposite of the winner!

My guess shows exactly where I'm at with the Axe Fx now. Everything to me sounds good. I can't pick real vs fake. When there is a new update, it doesn't necessarily sound "more real", it just sounds different. I have zero reference to what real is since I don't own any of the amps that are in the Axe Fx (except the Jubilee). So if someone tells me that the tighter bass on the newest update is more like the real amp, I just happily take their word for it. And when it's more fun to play as a result, I just smile and enjoy!

This was a fun test, so thanks for putting it together. And to Cliff and the FAS team, thanks for all of the hard work. I really appreciate the updates and your attention to detail. And I trust you when you say that it keeps getting closer to the real thing.

This is why I don't win the lottery, I always pick the exact opposite of the winner!

My guess shows exactly where I'm at with the Axe Fx now. Everything to me sounds good. I can't pick real vs fake. When there is a new update, it doesn't necessarily sound "more real", it just sounds different. I have zero reference to what real is since I don't own any of the amps that are in the Axe Fx (except the Jubilee). So if someone tells me that the tighter bass on the newest update is more like the real amp, I just happily take their word for it. And when it's more fun to play as a result, I just smile and enjoy!

This was a fun test, so thanks for putting it together. And to Cliff and the FAS team, thanks for all of the hard work. I really appreciate the updates and your attention to detail. And I trust you when you say that it keeps getting closer to the real thing.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

And guess what- If you can't tell a difference between 2 different units, no matter what they are, 2 real amps or a modeler and an amp, it means something in the chain is obscuring whatever differences MUST be between any 2 things, so there you go with this "Comparison".
It is not valid for any statement of any real importance.
As i suggested, make a comparison of a dynamic playing from hard to soft with a tone that is not a compressed to hell distortion with all clipped waves. You will hear much much more of a difference,
So the fact that the Axe sounds "different" than a 'real' amp is actually more accurate since 2 of the same "real" amps would sound different in comparison?

Back
Top Bottom