Blind Test #1: Axe-Fx III vs. Real Amp

1&2 are different than 3,4&5

To hear the difference between a guitar amp and an AXE3...

1) live band @ arena-impossible
2) in song track- impossible or nearly impossible (depending upon the genre, maybe)
3) track isolated- maybe possible

The number of musicians and fans that can hear the difference in any scenario- less than 1%?

Ill go on a limb, even though this is as far from being a good comparison of amp detail and say 1 and 2 are the real amp.

I listened on BlueTooth connected headphones so that air gap the signal had to jump between my computer and my cans really added a ton of life and room back into the sound.

You would have to be more descriptive of the air for it to be a test where I could form a valid opinion. Was it clean air or a smoke filled room? What was the relative humidity at the time and did it change between samples. Come on, get with the flow. :)

@Jason Scott : Hi Jason, do you mind confirming that you are not tricking us and the 5 samples are all the same?

It seems the person you were addressing is not playing anyways. So I think it would be fair to disclose now if indeed all 5 samples were the same.

Honestly, I cannot tell the difference (but I'm for sure not good at that and don't claim I am). Personally, if I had to guess and I'd call out a few as the amp and a few as the modeler, to later learn they are all the same, I'd be embarrassed about that. If I had just guessed wrong and indeed you had differences in the samples, I could live with that.

Does that make sense?

[Edit] Just saw he did play.

Well even if you get this right, at least everyone knows how contradictory you've been ;)

I love the Everyone thing. its US against YOU...;) look, no one is against anyone here, but telling yourself things to feel good is not necessarily what I want to do. If this was identical to an amp Cliff would have been retired in Hawaii by now. And i can promise you that even he feels differently about retirement... hence all the hard and amazing work he is putting in. Lets keep this in perspective dude.
Dont get all personal on me, it serves nothing besides your social violence tendency.

@Jason Scott : Hi Jason, do you mind confirming that you are not tricking us and the 5 samples are all the same?

It seems the person you were addressing is not playing anyways. So I think it would be fair to disclose now if indeed all 5 samples were the same.

Honestly, I cannot tell the difference (but I'm for sure not good at that and don't claim I am). Personally, if I had to guess and I'd call out a few as the amp and a few as the modeler, to later learn they are all the same, I'd be embarrassed about that. If I had just guessed wrong and indeed you had differences in the samples, I could live with that.

Does that make sense?

[Edit] Just saw he did play.

The samples are not all the same.

I'd be embarrassed about that.
You really shouldn't be embarrassed. The technology is sufficiently advanced in the state of its art now as to make differences subjective, not objective.

I couldn't tell you which one was a mic'ed amp and which one was an AFIII. Probably couldn't if you swapped in any other modern day modeler TBH.

The only people insisting there's a tangible difference that matters now are the ones clutching their pearls as their ship called Reality Can Never Change goes down.

And guess what- If you can't tell a difference between 2 different units, no matter what they are, 2 real amps or a modeler and an amp, it means something in the chain is obscuring whatever differences MUST be between any 2 things, so there you go with this "Comparison".
It is not valid for any statement of any real importance.
As i suggested, make a comparison of a dynamic playing from hard to soft with a tone that is not a compressed to hell distortion with all clipped waves. You will hear much much more of a difference,

I love the Everyone thing. its US against YOU...;) look, no one is against anyone here, but telling yourself things to feel good is not necessarily what I want to do. If this was identical to an amp Cliff would have been retired in Hawaii by now. And i can promise you that even he feels differently about retirement... hence all the hard and amazing work he is putting in. Lets keep this in perspective dude.
Dont get all personal on me, it serves nothing besides your social violence tendency.
Just sayin, the "files need to be hi resolution, otherwise its all digital low rez soup anyway," then pointing to a Youtube video as a "fair test and it is clear what is going on and very easy to hear the difference in detail" was pretty funny.

Just sayin, the "files need to be hi resolution, otherwise its all digital low rez soup anyway," then pointing to a Youtube video as a "fair test and it is clear what is going on and very easy to hear the difference in detail" was pretty funny.

If its funny im glad i made you laugh, but consider that the less dynamics you have in a signal the less it shows what it is, that's a given.
Most "tell" in things comes from dynamic response and Envelope. Attack etc. if all this is diminished then the comparison is not doing it's job. Just saying. You dont have to like it.

If its funny im glad i made you laugh, but consider that the less dynamics you have in a signal the less it shows what it is, that's a given.
Most "tell" in things comes from dynamic response and Envelope. Attack etc. if all this is diminished then the comparison is not doing it's job. Just saying. You dont have to like it.
I don't think you understand why it was funny.

Great samples! There is some strange distortion in 3 and 5 so will guess that those are the amp and you didn't quite get the levels right.

Back
Top Bottom