Blending between 2 amps w/ exp pedal.

Yes, it'll need tweaking to blend. it wasn't originally set up that way.

i linked to it, because i copied his settings from a video of his rig rundown

It was interesting looking at the different ways that people accomplish this:
A) cross-fade two vol blocks before amps
B) cross-fade two vol blocks after amps
C) cross-fade two channels within a single mixer block after the amps

And then the various curves used for the cross-fades: linear and custom mid point or slope.

the sound of A can be different than the sound of B or C as noted in previous comments due to reduction of levels to amp inputs.

B and C operate similarly but having two vol blocks uses an additional 1% of CPU vs the single mixer block.

Attach the levels of each amp to the pedal, one with an inverse curve. You'll need to use non-linear "curves" to get the right level when both amps are at 50%. Clarky has done some work on this because he blends from rhythm to solo in the same patch.

what I do is not quite what's being asked for here...
I don't set up two different amps with different tones and then fade between them

I set up different tones in the same amp and fade [morph] from one to the other..
this is a little more difficult to do, but personally I think it yields more natural sounding results..

if you want to fade between two different amps, there's a pile of ways to do it...
you first questions would be,
do you want them to share the same fx chain or have independent ones?
do you want the amount of gain to change as you fade from one to the other or simply set up two completed tones and crossfade between them?
so...
are you fading between amp tones? amp/cab tones? or complete fx chain tones?

one thing I would point out....
fading between two different amps will work but it will never sound as natural as tone morphing
the reason being that the higher gain tone will continue to have the same amount of gain as it gets quieter
so as the cleaner tone starts taking over, the higher gain tone will become an ever decreasing 'fizz' in the background until it's finally gone and replaced by the clean..

morphing really is the way to go...
but if you've never tried setting it up before, it does take some planning and thinking about...

Back
Top Bottom