Blasphemy: Replacing my AX8 with an HX Effects?

philipacamaniac

Fractal Fanatic
Okay, okay, not actually replacing the AX8. Read on for more.

fullsizeoutput_69a.jpeg

I've got a great pedalboard rig (see picture) that's centered around my beloved AX8. It involves external drives, a loop switcher, multiple expression pedals, some fiddly knob controllers, etc.

However, the AX8 is critically lacking in the MIDI department. I had hopes that improvements would come with updates. While other AX8 improvements have been fantastic, the MIDI implementation hasn't changed since day one (still lacking the ability to transmit MIDI CC messages, SysEx, MMC, MIDI clock, messages on a footswitch, multiple messages per scene/preset/footswitch, etc). Which is fine, mostly - the AX8 was clearly not intended to be the command center of a larger rig. It was intended to replace the rig and be super portable.

So now with the HX, L6 has a compact pedal that's making me rethink. What if I pulled the AX8 off my board and replaced it with an HX? What I would gain is a robust MIDI command center capable of easily controlling the loop switcher, the AX8, tracks/click control, and additional external MIDI-capable effects (e.g. H9/Big Sky) that I never added because I didn't have flexible control or clock. The scribble strips and LED color per switch are fully customizable, which is key to flexibility. I'd also (re)gain the L6 library of effects (including the unique Particle Verb, Octoverb, etc). Those effects aren't necessary in my rig, but having extra reverbs on hand means I could utilize "kitchen-sink" presets more easily.

The AX8 would have to live off-board at that point, as there's not enough physical room for both AX8 plus HX plus all the pedals (plus some esoteric additions I've been eyeing like the Empress Zoia and several Chase Bliss noisemakers). I could forgo the external drives and use the AX8 and HX side by side, but there still wouldn't be room for even one expression pedal.

Logic would say I should move to an Axe-Fx II at that point - but actually, having the AX8 live as a backline amp seems like more fun. For big gigs, the whole rig comes out, with the AX8 living next to the board or as a backline (maybe in a rack drawer). For smaller gigs, I'd finally be able to take just the AX8 - right now it's locked down to the board with dual-lock and very difficult to remove (plus the feet aren't on). Modular is my motto, as evidenced by all those seemingly redundant pedals on the board.

I'm actually thinking the same with one of my bands: replace my AX8 and Matrix FR12 with an HXFX and use my brownface vibroverb again. I've tested the Helix native demo and love some of the drive/comp effects and the new 2.5 update have improved the reverbs...

Back
Top Bottom