Blank foot-switch displays in FM9

Kelleys Heroes

Experienced
Took my FM9 to practice and all the foot-switch displays are all blank (3 dashes). I go into Setup and they are all unassigned. What is the proper thing to do in this case- is there an overall reset, or do I have to restore layouts? Oh yeah, and what might have caused this?

Not sure what caused it, unless you used one of the “clear” functions under Setup.

If you were using factory default layouts, you can load them from the Setup > FC Controllers menu. Otherwise, you’ll have to restore from a backup or rebuild them by hand.

1. Be sure your default display screen when the FM9 is on contains whatever layout your default screen is, and that the default layout has been assigned values.
2. If 1. proves true, reboot. Sometimes a simply reboot solves many an issue.
3. If 1. and 2. don't solve your issue, contact Fractal Customer Service. Your FM9 may have suffered a bump or ding in transit that may have loosened up one of the ribbon cables inside the FM9. Do not attempt to repair this yourself until FAS service authorizes you to. You may void the warranty if you do otherwise.

Man, I have no idea what cause this. I didn't make any changes at all- I have never reset system settings at the unit. Rebooting did not work, but I was able to restore from a backup. This would have been a disaster at a gig, for sure.

This happened to me at a gig last Saturday. Switched off/on and all was well again. Gives you a bit of a fright for sure, especially since I had not brought any back up with me. No idea as to the reason it happened. Won't be travelling without back up again, and, should the issue reoccur, the FM-9 will be winging its way back to G.66 (Fractal UK) even if the simple off/on solution works again. £2000 is too much to pay for these kind of shivers 20 minutes before showtime....!

This happened to me at a gig last Saturday. Switched off/on and all was well again. Gives you a bit of a fright for sure, especially since I had not brought any back up with me. No idea as to the reason it happened. Won't be travelling without back up again, and, should the issue reoccur, the FM-9 will be winging its way back to G.66 (Fractal UK) even if the simple off/on solution works again. £2000 is too much to pay for these kind of shivers 20 minutes before showtime....!
I had a similar scare right before a gig where I got no sound from my FM3. It turns out that if you disengage the tuner with a different button than you engaged it, this can happen. I managed to figure it out also 20 minutes before we were supposed to go on. High pucker moment.

It turns out that if you disengage the tuner with a different button than you engaged it, this can happen.
Can you elaborate on this? You mean button or switch, or maybe both?
If you can write down steps to reproduce, that would be great!

Thank you! I now understand the problem from the referred thread with tuner and buttons.

OP had all blank/missing lay-outs, even after a reboot. You wrote:
In my case, it was causing a dropout because of how I had it configured.
-With "dropout" you mean blank minidisplays, or what else?
-Was the unit still responsive after the dropout?
-After a reboot the lay-outs were intact, normal?
-What was your configuration, or can you share the preset?

(Since one time I was also missing my layouts when i turned the unit on, i'm curious. And reproduction of this problem could very much help solve it.)

Sorry for the ambiguity. I got no output. Everything else seemed normal and reboot fixed it.

Right after that gig I redid the preset to a dedicated tuner button and the problem never repeated.

I don't have that original preset, sorry.

Just on the off chance....it's a million to one chance, but if you inadvertently roll Knob E around to Layout 8 all your presets read 'Empty'...

Back
Top Bottom