Blackmore Inspired Preset

Axe-Master
Here's a preset and cab I used for my recent "5 Killer Riffs" video highlighting my favourite Ritchie Blackmore moments. I slapped it together in 3 or 4 minutes to get a ballpark Rainbow Rising era tone so it's more an "inspired by" preset than a meticulous recreation. Lots of fun regardless!

Attachments

• U1.0257_LT TV 121 1.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Stargazer.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 164
I always found that Ritchie was one of the most underrated guitar players ever.
I discovered Deep Purple when I was 10 while I was in a boarding school.
While I was into Sweet and so, the older guys were listening to Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd,....
You can imagine the shock when I first heard the Made In Japan album.
The beginiing of Highway Star has long been one of my favorite intros and I just loved that song.
In fact, one night when I was supposed to be asleep, i was listening to it with a speaker underneath my pillow when my father came barging in and smashed the record.
Later on, when I got Rainbow Rising (I kinda missed the first Rainbow album) I was blown away.
As you mentioned, the band was just perfect and on fire.
Ritchie inspired a whole generation of guitar wizards and as much as one Swedish guy may deny he was influenced by him, and as proficient as he may be, he could never equal Blackmore's solo in Gates Of Babylon.
The list of great Blackmore riffs and songs would be too long to mention here.

If you haven't seen it, get the "Rainbow Live in Munich 1977" DVD. Ritchie, Dio, Cozy Powell, Bob Daisley. Just all around amazing concert. I highly recommend it.

i never really like Blackmore music,i tried too many times but all the time i get bored wih his music,just not for me.

Saw Rainbow with Graham Bonnet(Since You've Been Gone) at the old Worcester Memorial Auditorium, MA. The Scorpions w/Animal Magnetism opened and blew Rainbow off the stage. Ritchie was a be-atch that night. Knew the Scorps were better and mailed it in. Did cause him to break his Strat to pieces and end the set early. This was 80, 81- ish

Last edited:
Forgot, thanks Leon! Still love Blackmore's playing in DP, but the first 2 albums with Steve Morse are great(Purpendicular and Abadon).

Here's a preset and cab I used for my recent "5 Killer Riffs" video highlighting my favourite Ritchie Blackmore moments. I slapped it together in 3 or 4 minutes to get a ballpark Rainbow Rising era tone so it's more an "inspired by" preset than a meticulous recreation. Lots of fun regardless!

It’s amazing how quickly this becomes done with obsolete FW;)
embarrassingly, the last time I really paid attention to Blackmore’s work was on Book of Taliesyn
Dug the recent live version with Morse and orchestra, tho.

Weird issue with this preset.

I'm on FW 8 (release) and I loaded the U1.0257_LT TV 121 1.syx. It sounds fine however if you look at the Align Tab in Axe-Edit the cab has a straight line. If you load any other cab as a second cab it all sounds way out of phase however the IR file (in the 2nd cab slot) has a normal looking curve in the Align Tab.

Anyone else ?

Book of talesyn - ah Kentucky woman! Who would have thought!
Thanks
Pauly

It’s amazing how quickly this becomes done with obsolete FW;)
embarrassingly, the last time I really paid attention to Blackmore’s work was on Book of Taliesyn
Dug the recent live version with Morse and orchestra, tho.

blackmore was my hero back in the day....then in '78 i heard this eddie van halen guy !

' in rock' just blew away EVERYTHING, child in time solo still takes some beating today....and this was in '68!!

When I was listening early to Deep Purple, everyone heard 'Smoke on the Water' as the guitar work to nail. I heard 'Lazy', and went 'oh sh!te..THAT's what I want'.

Blackmore a SERIOUSLY underrated guitarist.

Oh, this works great on my Silver Sky (I did bump mids and sag...but KILLER.)

Thanks again Leon.

Fantastic preset! Love it! Never had the chance to see Ritchie sad to say. But watched Dio several times. And very recently saw Joe Lynn Turner doing an all Rainbow performance with Nagoya Symphony orchestra in Japan. Great tunes!!!

@2112 Since you started it all... ;) Any pointers to get that Stargazer solo ending delay ish kind of spaced out effect? :D

Woman From Tokyo is one of my favorite Blackmore intros.
Made In Japan (DP) and On Stage (Rainbow) are among the top 10 live albums, in my book. I always thought Blackmore's playing live (as captured by these records) was quite a bit better than his studio work.

Great stuff. Love the BITE of that Strat and your preset. I've listened to a bit of Ritchie on multitrack originals and his tone in isolation can be really harsh, which is exactly perfect. I think it was you who shared this excellent RJD interview.

Back
Top Bottom