Black Crowes cover band preset

m lebofsky

Experienced
If you were to design one preset to use in a Black Crowes cover band, what would it look like? What amp block, cab, etc?
I realize they used a lot of varying equipment over the years ...

Thanks,

I'd just use a '59 Bassman set for edge of breakup and I'd put a mild TS-808 and a clean'ish boost like the FAS LED drive out in front of it and stack them when I needed more.

Based on my readings about the band, I thought for sure a Silver Jubilee would be the got to amp ...
Rich was using Reason amps last time I saw them play live. And I think a white Vox. So a JTM45 or a 1978X wouldn't be out of place. But...like...a Bassman and a Marshall aren't so far apart, right? :)

AB has a great preset for Sometimes Salvation using the Herbie CH3 amp and some V30 cabs...sounded pretty spot on to me.

I was impressed with the Herbie amp models...very versatile.

I love the Crowes, but I don't think there's a single signature tone I'd associate with them. It changed so much from album to album and tour to tour. Rich has played a lot of different amps over the years. Live he used Jubilees early on, then Matchless, Harry Joyce (Hiwatt clones), Vox, Reason, and Fender combos. I've seen footage of Marc Ford with various Marshall, Roccaforte, maybe Matchless and other amps. In the studio who knows, I would guess vintage Marshalls, Fenders, Vox and Matchless were on the first three or four albums. If you're covering more recent stuff like Warpaint or Before the Frost, I believe Luther Dickinson was playing an ODS style amp like a Fuchs (or at least he was using them live).

Unless you're going for something really specific, I think I'd start with either one of the AC flavored amps, a JTM45, or a 59 Bassman matched with an appropriate cab. Set it clean or just breaking up and hit it with pedals for heavier stuff and leads (maybe a TS or JanRay and a fuzz face). For effects: Rich always has a tape delay in his live rig, I'd also throw in a Clyde wah, comp, tremolo, and univibe. Rich also uses a kill-switch sort of effect and a volume pedal for swells on a few songs.

Agreed. They sound great, but not really a band known for iconic guitar tones. It's all Chris' amazing voice and then just great tunes and playing.
Definitely no iconic “Crowes tone”, the lineup and gear changed too much over the years. But I do think Rich and Marc are up there in the list of iconic guitar duos. Southern Harmony and Amorica are incredible albums, much better than handful of hits from Shake Your Moneymaker that they’re known for.

Agree w/ all these comments. I think I've mostly used one or another of my all-purpose presets when we've covered Crowes tunes, whatever I happen to have in rotation for that band. Deluxe Verb, Tweeds, low-ish gain Marshall or Vox...

Back
Top Bottom