Black Clouds & Silver Linings tone

torkolort

Inspired
I've been trying to do a complete cover on a couple of songs on this album, but although I feel I'm pretty close to the tone, I just end up tweaking every time...

Recorded some parts of The Count of Tuscany, and I need some feedback on the tone :) The backing track is all isolated tracks from the album, except the guitar. Wish they had isolated tracks from all albums :(

TCOT.mp3 - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Soundcloud is currently down, so using 4shared instead. No download required though.

Attachments

• BC&SL.syx
    2 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Killer - love that album and love your tone and playing.

Now please post your patch or I will take back my nice comments ;)

Added to the OP. The patch is the base tone, but I made a few adjustments while recording which I didn't save, so it might sound a little different. No custom IR this time :D

Sounds very very close to the original. Great job! Maybe check the delay settings they are a bit "of" I think.

Will check the patch later.

Keep on the good work!

#torkolort - Sounds fantastic. Looking at the patch (I haven't tried it yet) - what does the LFO-controlled LPF do (tone wise)? I've never seen a semi-variable LPF freq block before. Coolness.

I'd say lower the master a bit so it doesn't whoomp that much. Other than that it's there.

If you guys are interested in getting EXACTLY the same tones as Petrucci has on the album I suggest you try some EQ matched IR's. THEY ARE SUPER EASY TO CREATE ONCE YOU GET THE HANG OF IT!

Here are a few that I've made:

[soundcloudhttp://soundcloud.com/clark-kent-job/pod-vs-glassprison][/soundcloud]

I could give these to you but they are actually played with my HD500 so they wouldn't work too well with the Axe-Fx. But as you might notice... it's worth the 30min it takes to create these IR's.

IF YOU WANT TO COMPARE THESE TO THE ORIGINALS: Just listen to the end of the tracks... the last guitar part is always from the original song. Now tell me if you hear a difference. :D

Last edited:
#torkolort - Sounds fantastic. Looking at the patch (I haven't tried it yet) - what does the LFO-controlled LPF do (tone wise)? I've never seen a semi-variable LPF freq block before. Coolness.

I've copied the filter block and the first PEQ from another patch I found a couple of months ago. I'm actually not really sure about the details and how it really works, but it's used to tighten up the low end. Works really well on this patch. I just realized that the LFO is a pitch, I think usually people use envelope, don't know the difference. When something works for me, I sometimes just go with it without bothering to find out why, which maybe is a little silly :)

My Seymor Duncans TB-5/SH-5 are to loud and to bright (+cable). Already have a good patch so not bothering fine tuning this patch. Much appreciated BTW

Regards

Back
Top Bottom