BKP Juggernaut VS Aftermath Comparison Clip

jalonhall

Inspired
Hey guys:

I just received my Bare Knuckle Juggernauts yesterday and thought I would whip up a comparison clip for the Juggernaut and Aftermath. Both pickups were installed in my ESP NT7 (Maple neck thru, Alder body, Maple top, and Ebony fretboard). I used the same Axe2 patch for each pickup as well. No post processing on the guitars. It may not be the most versatile comparison clip, but I will get some other clips together soon.

I am really digging these pickups! The are very balanced across the fretboard and have a very smooth feel, but also a very nice bite! I'm not sure if you can tell the huge difference based on this clip, but they are very tight and clear… and they "feel" great!

Let me know what you guys think!

Jalon

https://soundcloud.com/jalonhall/bkp-juggernaut-vs-aftermath

that sounds incredible, i think both pickups sound great lol

Thanks dude! And yes they are both amazing pickups! For some reason I wasn't expecting the Juggernaut to have as much bite as the Aftermath, but I stand corrected. Maybe I will route and wire my guitar so I can just use all four pickups at the same time hahaha:)

hahah. Yeah, I was expecting the Juggernaut to be way darker. To me the high end is slightly smoother, but the mids are shifted a bit. I dont know if I prefer the mids on either more then the other, it's just a different flavor. Thanks for posting the clip

Thanks a lot for posting the comparison. I can tell the mids are more focus and there is more roll off in the highs highs.
Do you feel like you can get the same results with the Aftermaths and EQing/boost EQing? I can see this could be a deal breaker for
amp and cab guys, but with the tools in our little black boxes we can shape the input signal pretty drastically.

OT:
My bass player buddy has heard your sound cloud page and digs it a lot.
Long story short, he's sitting here working on a mix on a laptop with headphns and Im listening to your
clip from this thread. He takes his cans off and says, "who is that? Jalon Hall?".
IMHO to have a distinct style and have your peers recognize it is great.
Keep up the great work homie!

Thanks a lot for posting the comparison. I can tell the mids are more focus and there is more roll off in the highs highs.
Do you feel like you can get the same results with the Aftermaths and EQing/boost EQing? I can see this could be a deal breaker for
amp and cab guys, but with the tools in our little black boxes we can shape the input signal pretty drastically.

OT:
My bass player buddy has heard your sound cloud page and digs it a lot.
Long story short, he's sitting here working on a mix on a laptop with headphns and Im listening to your
clip from this thread. He takes his cans off and says, "who is that? Jalon Hall?".
IMHO to have a distinct style and have your peers recognize it is great.
Keep up the great work homie!

Honestly... I can tell a bigger difference when I'm just playing and noodling around as opposed to listening to them in the mixes that I've done. But honestly, the output and response seems relatively similar between the two. The bottom and and top end seem a tad bit more balanced with the Juggs and they don't sound a little uncontrolled or unfocused like the Aftermath can with some of my different patches and settings. But with that said, the Aftermaths are still excellent and you can definitely get an almost spot on sound with some EQ in the Mids and maybe cutting out some of the top end.

Of course this is my opinion on the 2 in my ESP NT7. Considering that it is a bit of a brighter sounding guitar, the Jugg gives it a little more oomph than the Aftermath in the Bridge. In a darker sounding guitar...? I dunno... The Aftermath might take the cake for me.

But as for the Juggernaut Neck... It's a night and day difference IMO and I absolutely love it more than the Aftermath neck. No doubt.

Also... Thanks for the kind and encouraging words! That means a lot! It's easy to get discouraged at times when I'm trying to break through to a higher level of quality with my music(especially with my drums and trying to write things that are catchy without sounding so redundant) so to hear this made my day. So thanks bro!

Jalon

Strangely, I can hear a bigger difference using my ear buds than I can with my KRK Rokits...

Anyways, awesome clip. I checked out your other music while on your page. Pretty awesome stuff. Great tones, sweet mixes, the complete package.

Kudos

it's funny after listening to this clip again, I'd say the Jugg sounds more controlled/tight and clearer, while the aftermath sounds more massive and big. It's actually exactly the opposite of what I would have thought would be the case. Verrrrrry interesting :)

Strangely, I can hear a bigger difference using my ear buds than I can with my KRK Rokits...

Anyways, awesome clip. I checked out your other music while on your page. Pretty awesome stuff. Great tones, sweet mixes, the complete package.

Kudos

I appreciate the kind words dude. I'm glad you dig:)

I'm hearing slightly more low mids and bass on the Juggernaut. But they are quite similar, took several listens to isolate the difference. If I had to say which was better, my moneys on the Juggernaut. However I bet some minor EQ changes to the patch could make the difference almost negligible.

it's funny after listening to this clip again, I'd say the Jugg sounds more controlled/tight and clearer, while the aftermath sounds more massive and big. It's actually exactly the opposite of what I would have thought would be the case. Verrrrrry interesting :)

Yea the Juggs are definitely clearer and a lot tighter and controlled. Almost to the point where I need to tweak my gate settings and maybe increase the gain a bit. So I can safely say that the Aftermath is definitely the more aggressive of the two.

Awesome production and tones. There not a huge difference between the 2 pickups, very close. IMHO...and that snare sounds banging!

Awesome production and tones. There not a huge difference between the 2 pickups, very close. IMHO...and that snare sounds banging!

Thanks for the feedback Harsh! Yea there doesn't appear to be a "huge" difference in the mix...Aside from the shifted Mid focus and the Jugg being slightly tighter with a bit more clarity. They are definitely cut from the same tree:) And thanks for completing my snare! That's definitely the part of my mixing that gives me the most headaches... so I'm glad to hear some positive words about that haha.

Back
Top Bottom