BKP Holy Diver 7 concerns - Am I over reacting?

If you put pickups too close they can affect the intonation with the magnetic pull. As I said above it's the tone you'r looking for not just output.

I agree but disagree, lol. I do agree that due to the fact that we're all setup different, etc. So subjectivity is key there. However If I would've kept some recordings of the PAFS in my 752 and then the BKPs the quality difference is very obvious.

That said I do not own Holy Divers but I'm either going with those in the next 752 or Cold Sweats.

Im probably still going to sell and get something else

FWIW, I put some Dimarzio PAF 7’s in a 7-string I have and I dig them quite a bit. They aren’t too far away from the Blaze’s (not sure about the Blaze Custom). It’s what Munky and Head used for quite a while (or still do?). Not super high output and not shrill at all. From memory, I’d say they might be a slightly warmer Blaze.

If you put pickups too close they can affect the intonation with the magnetic pull. As I said above it's the tone you'r looking for not just output.

I switched pickups in my Strat recently and wasn’t really paying attention to the height once I put it all back together. Played for a bit and noticed all the 5th chords were out of tune, tuned up and the guitar was fine, start playing again and it’s out still. Check the intonation and once I hit the 12th fret octave, the tuner was wobbling with it. As I was murmuring “WTF?”, to myself, my eyes glanced across the pickups and I realized what the issue was right away.

I’ve always heard of it happening before but never had it happen to me. It was one of those “Oh shit, that’s not a myth!”, kind of thing. Also, there was one specific period that most JEM7VWH’s coming out of Japan had an intonation issue where it couldn’t be intonated no matter what. I think it took several people over a year of working on them (Rich Harris at IbanezRules.com, certainly no stranger to setting up guitars!) before it was realized it was the pickups leaving the factory set too high.

I switched pickups in my Strat recently and wasn’t really paying attention to the height once I put it all back together. Played for a bit and noticed all the 5th chords were out of tune, tuned up and the guitar was fine, start playing again and it’s out still. Check the intonation and once I hit the 12th fret octave, the tuner was wobbling with it. As I was murmuring “WTF?”, to myself, my eyes glanced across the pickups and I realized what the issue was right away.

I’ve always heard of it happening before but never had it happen to me. It was one of those “Oh shit, that’s not a myth!”, kind of thing. Also, there was one specific period that most JEM7VWH’s coming out of Japan had an intonation issue where it couldn’t be intonated no matter what. I think it took several people over a year of working on them (Rich Harris at IbanezRules.com, certainly no stranger to setting up guitars!) before it was realized it was the pickups leaving the factory set too high.
It can be easily missed as the issue and it varies around the neck. Pickups shouldn't need to be this close to sound right anyway.

I got some BKP's and they sound great, I got some Guitar Fetish pickups and they sound great too.
I've had pretty good results with GFS pickups.

The L'il Killer single-coil sized blade humbucker, the L'il Puncher blade pickups for Teles, the FAT PAT and Vintage Extra Hot humbuckers have all given me good tones at rock bottom prices.

Back
Top Bottom