BKP Abraxas vs. Crawler

NickCapp

Inspired
I am thinking about replacing the pickups in my Suhr Modern Pro HSH and contacted Bare Knuckle regarding their recommendation. The representative I spoke with recommended either the Abraxas set or the Crawler set with an Irish Tour in the middle position.

From what I understand the Crawler set is a bit hotter and more modern voiced than the Abraxas. I’m leaning towards the Crawler to sort of maintain the modern quality of the guitar, but am wondering if anyone here has had any experience with either set?

In my experience other people's experience with pickups does not translate to one's own guitar. Get both. Install the one you think you're going to love. If you do, send the other one back without even opening it. If you don't, swap the new ones in and give them a try.

In my experience other people's experience with pickups does not translate to one's own guitar. Get both. Install the one you think you're going to love. If you do, send the other one back without even opening it. If you don't swap the new ones in and give them a try.

Is it bad that I got genuinely excited to see that YOU responded to my post?

Yep I agree, it’s nearly impossible to tell if it’s going to work out until you install them. That’s why I’ve got 4 or 5 BKP sets laying around, and I’m still not happy!

I'm sorry for commenting on the OP and not discussing avatars :)

I've got plenty of Bareknuckle Pickups. Abraxas is probably my favourite set in Les Paul style guitars and I currently have a set in my PRS 594 and a set in my PRS P245 Semi-Hollow. They both work really well and are sort of like hotter PAF style pickups. I have a Crawler in the bridge of my Suhr HSS strat pared up with Dimarzio area noiseless singlecoils in the neck and the middle. The Crawler is more modern, hotter and sharper for sure. The Crawler in that guitar is my favourite pickup with parallel switching in any guitar I've owned. The way I have it setup is that the Crawler in parallel is as hot as the two Dimarzio neck and middle so it's all nice and balanced, and if I want more I run the Crawler in full humbucker and it's very nice, hot and work really well. My Suhr is the only strat style guitar I own and I'm perfectly happy with it like it is. I tried the Crawler in a couple of PRS's and it just felt over the top, but they are more vintage type guitars and the Abraxas or The Mule works better for what I want out of them.

And yeah, in the end there's no substitution for just buying both and try out. I've installed a Seymour Duncan Liberator in one of my guitars and that makes it nice and easy to change pickups fast :)

Back
Top Bottom