BJ Devices TB-12 Review

We start taking pre-orders for TB-11P from 1st of April at a reduced price - $265 instead of $310. Don't miss the chance!

TB-11P is the first MIDI controller by BJ Devices with built-in expression pedal. TB-11P is one of Travel Box Series controllers and it takes the best advantages of this series - the small size and wide functionality. TB-11P has new top and back print view and improved hardware.

What's new:

- Expression Pedal with multifunctional 3-color LED lines
- Power from the USB.
- Standard input polarity expression pedals (tip-to-viper instead of the previously used ring-to-viper). You can now use almost any expression pedal without cable modification.
- Automatic reset when upgrading the firmware. There is no need to turn off and turn on the power while updating the firmware.

AX8 is supported. Contact me for alpha firmware version.
12990967_10201547744373213_2750017886696586768_n.jpg

Help!

Could anybody test what happens with their TB-12, if you plug in just the midi cables, no power anywhere?

I went to rehearsal today, and my Tb12 screen lit up dimly already when I connected the midi cables, which was weird to me. Then I connected the power, and the board didn't lit up normally. I tried powering it directly instead of through the Axe phantom, and it boots and lights up, but it doesn't change the patches or receive patch names. I feel the Axe midi is broken! Damn!

Help!

Could anybody test what happens with their TB-12, if you plug in just the midi cables, no power anywhere?

I went to rehearsal today, and my Tb12 screen lit up dimly already when I connected the midi cables, which was weird to me. Then I connected the power, and the board didn't lit up normally. I tried powering it directly instead of through the Axe phantom, and it boots and lights up, but it doesn't change the patches or receive patch names. I feel the Axe midi is broken! Damn!
Which midi cable do you use? Did you connect USB cable aslo?

Hmm, now to think about it, this was after shooting some IRs, so the USB cable was plugged into Axe and laptop, but not TB12, and the laptop was switched off.

Midi cable is made by you, 7 to 5pin cable and 5pin cable for the other direction.

The LED implementation on expression pedal is nice. I have a visual volume pedal for the same reasons.

Do any of your units have a 10-key function. For example. If I decide while playing song/patch #2 that I want to go to song/patch #86, can I do that random patch selection, or do I have to program that in advance or step up/down through banks to do it.

Thanks!

The LED implementation on expression pedal is nice. I have a visual volume pedal for the same reasons.

thanks!

Do any of your units have a 10-key function. For example. If I decide while playing song/patch #2 that I want to go to song/patch #86, can I do that random patch selection, or do I have to program that in advance or step up/down through banks to do it.

Thanks!
You able to set any program number on any button, so you can do random patch selection. Also controller have 30 internal banks with programs, you can switch banks from menu or footbuttons and use other set of patches on buttons

thanks!

You able to set any program number on any button, so you can do random patch selection. Also controller have 30 internal banks with programs, you can switch banks from menu or footbuttons and use other set of patches on buttons
From what you wrote, it sounds like I have to program the buttons in advance. Here's another description of what I need.
  • I'm performing live, playing song/patch #2
  • Everything I need for song/patch #2 is mapped to all the buttons on the foot switch (tuner, stomp boxes, scenes, axe-fx patch volume up/down, etc). In other words, song #2 gets its own bank, which is bank #2
  • While playing song/patch #2, someone yells out a request for the next song
  • That song request happens to be song/patch #86
  • Song/patch #86 has its own bank, bank #86, and and everything I need for that song is mapped to the buttons in that bank
  • Right now, everyone is dancing to song/patch #2
  • Song #86 is actually a good song to keep people dancing, and it was also a request
  • What I need to do -- when song #2 ends -- I need to randomly and instantly go to bank #86 in 3 seconds or less, no pre-programming
  • 10 seconds ago, I didn't even know that song/patch #82 in bank #82 would be what I needed next
  • This is a typical "calling out songs" scenario where the next song is chosen in real-time
  • How can I accomplish this kind of random, instant access to any bank in my show?
Currently, I have a foot switch that does this. It holds hundreds of banks and has instant random access to any bank. All I do is press one dedicated button and then enter the bank number using the numbered buttons on the foot switch. It takes about 2 seconds. I'm trying to find out if BJ devices or anyone else makes a foot switch that does this because it's critical to what I do and having options is a good thing.

From what you wrote, it sounds like I have to program the buttons in advance. Here's another description of what I need.
  • I'm performing live, playing song/patch #2
  • Everything I need for song/patch #2 is mapped to all the buttons on the foot switch (tuner, stomp boxes, scenes, axe-fx patch volume up/down, etc). In other words, song #2 gets its own bank, which is bank #2
  • While playing song/patch #2, someone yells out a request for the next song
  • That song request happens to be song/patch #86
  • Song/patch #86 has its own bank, bank #86, and and everything I need for that song is mapped to the buttons in that bank
  • Right now, everyone is dancing to song/patch #2
  • Song #86 is actually a good song to keep people dancing, and it was also a request
  • What I need to do -- when song #2 ends -- I need to randomly and instantly go to bank #86 in 3 seconds or less, no pre-programming
  • 10 seconds ago, I didn't even know that song/patch #82 in bank #82 would be what I needed next
  • This is a typical "calling out songs" scenario where the next song is chosen in real-time
  • How can I accomplish this kind of random, instant access to any bank in my show?
Currently, I have a foot switch that does this. It holds hundreds of banks and has instant random access to any bank. All I do is press one dedicated button and then enter the bank number using the numbered buttons on the foot switch. It takes about 2 seconds. I'm trying to find out if BJ devices or anyone else makes a foot switch that does this because it's critical to what I do and having options is a good thing.

I'm afraid such scenario is not possible with our controllers. First of all, internal memory is not enough to store hundreds banks, and also our internal banks contain only preset numbers, but not buttons mapping(buttons type(PC, CC) will be same in all banks, and CC numbers also will the same, only preset numbers will differ). Another issue - we have same firmware for all our device series, and for example on TB-5 device you just have no enough numbered buttons to enter bank number.

Our controlles is a open-hardware project, possible someone decide to implement its own firmware with necessary functions for our devices.

Back
Top Bottom