BJ Devices TB-12 Review

I'm going to program my TB-12 from fresh and was wondering if any of you guys have founded some custom labels, that will fit with this board? (Other, than those, that are on the Bj Devices Facebook site)

I would like some as well. I play a lot of musicals and sometimes I have a really awkward moment where I accidentally switch to the wrong preset and end up doing something like switching to a big, loud lead when I'm supposed to be strumming chords for a ballad. With watching the conductor, listening to the stage and the band, and reading the music, sometimes it's difficult to remember which button is which.

Has anyone tested if those nice and fancy MFC labels fit the TB12?

Last edited:
Has anyone tested if those nice and fancy MFC labels fit the TB12?

I think they would work on one side, but the TB-12 has LEDs above the switch on the bottom row, and below on the top row. So it would cover one of those.

New firmware is availible, version 2.4 bublic beta!

1.AxeFx II XL PLUS supported
2.Kemper Profiler looper control is now supported. Added a new type of button “NRPN_mt” for this purpose.
Also small issues fixed

We already have an MFC-101, but I'd love to get a TB-5 to use for fly-ins.

Here's what I need it to do, can someone confirm that all this is possible?
- Attach FV500 volume pedal to control master volume on Axe-FX II (called OUT 1 VOLUME in the manual)
- Attach 2 channel momentary pedal to use as increase/decrease preset master volume & store (called VOLUME INCR/DECR in the manual)
- Have Preset name show up on display as I change presets
- Have Tuner show up on display when Tuner mode is selected
- Powered via MIDI (I'd love to have it powered by CAT5 or FASLINK, but I know that's not possible. I just don't want any AC power needed DS)
Buttons:
2 buttons: Next Preset, Previous Preset
2 buttons: Drive 1 Bypass/Reverb 1 Bypass
1 button: Tuner

We already have an MFC-101, but I'd love to get a TB-5 to use for fly-ins.

Here's what I need it to do, can someone confirm that all this is possible?
- Attach FV500 volume pedal to control master volume on Axe-FX II (called OUT 1 VOLUME in the manual)
- Attach 2 channel momentary pedal to use as increase/decrease preset master volume & store (called VOLUME INCR/DECR in the manual)
- Powered via MIDI (I'd love to have it powered by CAT5 or FASLINK, but I know that's not possible. I just don't want any AC power needed DS)
Buttons:
2 buttons: Drive 1 Bypass/Reverb 1 Bypass
1 button: Tuner

Yes, FV500 will work fine

Unfortunetly no

Yes, all of this will work

not sure. Is AxeFx supports preset number increment/decrement by Control Change message?

Unfortunetly no
So no support for external switches? I assume if i were to use 2 of the buttons on the TB5 (like in shift mode) this could be done?

not sure. Is AxeFx supports preset number increment/decrement by Control Change message?
No, the TB would have to be able to keep track of what PC it was on and when pressing the footswitch send PC+1 or PC-1 (incr/dec). Is that possible?

So no support for external switches? I assume if i were to use 2 of the buttons on the TB5 (like in shift mode) this could be done?

No, the TB would have to be able to keep track of what PC it was on and when pressing the footswitch send PC+1 or PC-1 (incr/dec). Is that possible?

External switch is supported, but with limitation - it can be used only for internal bank switching. And also TB-12(5) is not able to recognize current preset number on Axe Fx and increase/decrease it. This is firmware limitation, I will think about implementation of necessary functionality.

External switch is supported, but with limitation - it can be used only for internal bank switching.
It would be nice if the external switches could be set up to do anything the internal switches do.

And also TB-12(5) is not able to recognize current preset number on Axe Fx and increase/decrease it. This is firmware limitation, I will think about implementation of necessary functionality.
It doesn't have to recognize the current preset on the Axe-FX, it just has to remember what PC it last sent to the Axe-FX. Then when you press the "Next Preset" button, it sends it's stored PC+1.
I guess though, if it queries the Axe-FX for the Preset name, it might as well query it for it's current preset number at the same time...

It doesn't have to recognize the current preset on the Axe-FX, it just has to remember what PC it last sent to the Axe-FX. Then when you press the "Next Preset" button, it sends it's stored PC+1.
I guess though, if it queries the Axe-FX for the Preset name, it might as well query it for it's current preset number at the same time...
Yes, it is not hard to implement

That would be cool.

Another feature I've wanted for some time is the ability to setup different switch types for each bank. For example, as it is now, if you set button one to be a program change, it will be so across every bank. I'd like to be able to have banks for different purposes. I traded emails with Sergei on this topic about two years ago and he said it's a hardware limitation, but had thought about releasing hardware to upgrade the current iteration to support a feature like this. Then again, that was two years ago...

Yes, I can not implement different function for button in different banks due the memory capacity limitation. Unfortunately we still not able to start producing new hardware, is required much more time than I expect.

This looks like a great pedal! It's very awesome you guys post this sort of thing. I had never heard of the company before but it looks like a very powerful foot controller, and Sergei's presence on this board to answer questions and provide feedback for users eases my concerns around purchasing. Will definitely start saving up for this guy and sell the FCB. One question, in order for presets to be displayed on the controller one needs to have two midi cables connected (midi in from Axe and midi out to Axe)? Thanks!

This looks like a great pedal! It's very awesome you guys post this sort of thing. I had never heard of the company before but it looks like a very powerful foot controller, and Sergei's presence on this board to answer questions and provide feedback for users eases my concerns around purchasing. Will definitely start saving up for this guy and sell the FCB. One question, in order for presets to be displayed on the controller one needs to have two midi cables connected (midi in from Axe and midi out to Axe)? Thanks!
Thank you for your kind reply! Yes, you should use two midi cables to have preset names, tuner and tap-tempo on TB-12.

You definitely should! In my opinion, it's the best midi controller in a price range mere mortals can attain. Its ease-of-use and functionality is unparalleled (in its price range). The only controller I've seen that I liked better is the RJM Mastermind GT. But that costs almost as much as the Axe-Fx, so that's a whole different ball game.

What expression pedals are you guys using with these? I know the Mission Engineering reverse polarity ones work, but just wanted to see what else is being used. Not really feeling like spending $200 on a single pedal :(

Last edited:
What expression pedals are you guys using with these? I know the Mission Engineering reverse polarity ones work, but just wanted to see what else is being used. Not really feeling like spending $200 on a single pedal :(

I'm using an Ernie Ball Volume pedal. Works pretty well. All you need is an insert cable. You can find them everywhere used for around $50.

hi guys!
I'm really sorry but I really sucks at programming midi devices... can someone explain to me a step by step way to program buttons 1 to 6 as PC? 7-12 are already as CC for drive cop chorus delay reverb and wah!

I have the BS2 as an external switch for bank switching

In fact my dream would be buttons 1-4 = PC for presets
and 5-6 : scenes up ans down

can you help me please ?

hi guys!
I'm really sorry but I really sucks at programming midi devices... can someone explain to me a step by step way to program buttons 1 to 6 as PC? 7-12 are already as CC for drive cop chorus delay reverb and wah!

I have the BS2 as an external switch for bank switching

In fact my dream would be buttons 1-4 = PC for presets
and 5-6 : scenes up ans down

can you help me please ?
Hi,
to set buttons as Program Change go to buttons setup, choose button you want to configure and set PC value. Then go to main screen and push button 1, then set program number by pushing small buttons "up" and "down" on the keyboard from right side of the display. Then push button 2 and make settings on it. etc for all Program change buttons. Don't forget to save setting to bank.

Here quote from "Axe-Fx-II-Scenes-Mini-Manual-1"
SCENE INCREMENT/DECREMENT
MIDI CCs can also be used to step up or down through scenes. The entries SCENE INCR and SCENE DECR in the I/O:CTRL menu designate CCs for each action2 . The defaults are CC#123:INCREMENT and CC#124:DECREMENT. Values from 64-127 trigger the action while values from 0-63 are ignored.

So set buttons 5-6 to CC_ct#123 and CC_ct#124 with any value from 64-127 to increment and decrement scenes.

Back
Top Bottom