Bizarre gig week

solo-act

Fractal Fanatic
Wed - Played at a big neighborhood pool party and it was a big hit despite it being so hot kids and iPhones were overheating. They're hiring me again and are referring me to other neighborhood event planners. Nothing unusual there, great gig and opportunities coming out of it. Good stuff.

Fri - Played at a country club, rain was pouring down so party was moved from the pool to a big cabana. Went well, lots of members coming to stage with compliments. My kinda gig.

Sat - Completely different. Played at a bar the local entertainment paper calls "the bar on earth most like the bar in star wars". It's the only time in my career a bar owner has asked if I could wear a cape, or a least a wig and mustache so I could be "Mr Saturday Night!". It's also the first time I've ever said "no capes". He had me give away some stuff during the show -- plastic handcuffs, a Jaegermeister Tshirt 10 sizes to small for the women there. Then the top prize -- "poor man's breast implants" which consisted of a cardboard box with two zip lock bags they mixed jello shots into. Problem was the jello was blood red so when the prize winner ran up, grabbed grabbed box and opened it, it looked two freshly donated kidneys in a box. And then there was the woman who ran to the stage during brown eyed girl and started running her hands all over me. I felt hot breath near my face and then suddenly felt her snaggle teeth gnawing on my cheek bone. There's more, but you get the idea.

Sun - Played a rough neighborhood bar. Was walking around trying to find a low stool to put my rack on when this guy stops me and says "hey - you like pussy?"
I said "Hi, my names Eric, what's yours?"
He says again "you like pussy?"
I said "uhh, OK, yea?"
"You wanna F my sister?"
I looked at him, then his friend who was smiling, then back at him. "So you're pimping out your sister?"
His friend goes "yea man, times are tough."

Goes to show you - you never know how a gig week is going to play out!

Last edited:
It's because of stories like these (and many of my own stories from being a strip club DJ for over 10 years) that I never utter the phrase, "Now I've seen everything." It doesn't matter how weird it gets. It can always get weirder. Your Sunday gig story reminds me of the time when I saw KISS in Omaha, Nebraska on the reunion tour. Opening act finishes their set and the house lights come on. I find myself standing right next to the filthiest biker I've ever laid eyes on. He smells like a mixture of Jim Beam, BO, and marijuana. I look up at him and we lock eyes. Then, without warning, he utters the following sentence to me..."Happiness is when you're spankin' your meat on your old lady's forehead when you're drivin' down the main drag in Sturgis on your hog." He only said it once and that was in 1997. For some unholy reason, it stuck in my head. Can't get it out. Thank God that after he finished that little verbal gem, he just turned back around towards the stage. There is absolutely no way to respond to something like that. LOL

Insane.

I used to play in a band who's shtick was to do crazy shit like wear banana suits, capes, women's swimsuits, etc... We'd tell the dirtiest jokes you've ever heard, write songs on stage about dirty stuff. That band still plays sturgis every year at the knuckle saloon.

We had a guy named Johnny, who's sole job was "funny man". Sure he played guitar and sang, but only when it was hilarious. The guy had like $2000 in costumes he'd randomly change into throughout the show. Nudity was incredibly common. Keep in mind, this was in the heart of small town ND, but I think the strangest thing I ever heard was during tear down and the entire bar yelled "OOOOOH!" As if reacting to seeing something horrible, but hilarious. Then the bar owners voice, "Johnny! Put your balls away!"

That was the last gig I played with them.

Hey Solo Act, weren't you with me at a show in Denver where the lead singer took off his pants, tucked his junk and hopped around the stage singing " Vagina, Vagina"?

I know I really saw that because it was years after I stopped doing drugs!

Insane.

I used to play in a band who's shtick was to do crazy shit like wear banana suits, capes, women's swimsuits, etc... We'd tell the dirtiest jokes you've ever heard, write songs on stage about dirty stuff. That band still plays sturgis every year at the knuckle saloon.

We had a guy named Johnny, who's sole job was "funny man". Sure he played guitar and sang, but only when it was hilarious. The guy had like $2000 in costumes he'd randomly change into throughout the show. Nudity was incredibly common. Keep in mind, this was in the heart of small town ND, but I think the strangest thing I ever heard was during tear down and the entire bar yelled "OOOOOH!" As if reacting to seeing something horrible, but hilarious. Then the bar owners voice, "Johnny! Put your balls away!"

That was the last gig I played with them.

Sounds like an old Tubes show! :)

Hey Solo Act, weren't you with me at a show in Denver where the lead singer took off his pants, tucked his junk and hopped around the stage singing " Vagina, Vagina"?

I know I really saw that because it was years after I stopped doing drugs!
Ha Ha -- That was the "Psychedelic Zombies". VERY groovy band!! The only local original band that I thought had real talent and potential. Their trumpet player's arrangements were awesome. For example:
The Healing
Go to 3:00 in this one: Spank your wanky doody
And a bizarre food song - LOL

Yes, the singer dropped trousers to his ankles, shoved his junk down between his legs, pinched his knees together and started hobbling around the stage with the band screaming "vagina! vagina!" behind him.

On second thought, maybe they weren't destined for greatness. I had a drummer friend they wanted to hire but he turned them down -- too many drugs. Hmm...ya think?

Last edited:
Ha Ha -- That was the "Psychedelic Zombies". VERY groovy band!! The only local original band that I thought had real talent and potential. Their trumpet player's arrangements were awesome. For example:
The Healing

Yes, the singer dropped trousers to his ankles, shoved his junk down between his legs, pinched his knees together and started hobbling around the stage with the band screaming "vagina! vagina!" behind him.

On second thought, maybe they weren't destined for greatness. I had a drummer friend they wanted to hire but he turned them down -- too many drugs. Hmm...do think?

"The Healing" is actually a pretty good tune. These guys had some real groove!

...the entire bar yelled "OOOOOH!" As if reacting to seeing something horrible, but hilarious. Then the bar owners voice, "Johnny! Put your balls away!"
Great story! Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago with camera rolling, except it was the bar owner himself and far from funny, more like sadistic punishment. I'll spare you that image, but you get the idea.
moon.jpg
I saw it coming, flinched and turned away, then realized as he mooned the crowd, not me, that there is a god.

The Healing

On second thought, maybe they weren't destined for greatness. I had a drummer friend they wanted to hire but he turned them down -- too many drugs. Hmm...ya think?

I'm so glad that you could corroborate that I actually saw that. That was so feaking bizarre that I was thinking I may have dreamt it.

Back
Top Bottom