Binge review - Designated Survivor.

electronpirate

Axe-Master
So, over the last week, I've gone through the 3 seasons.

I will not to try to explain, or spoil those who will watch by a synopsis of where this all ends up.

I was REALLY caught up in the 1st season. Good premise, a neophyte thrown into the most powerful seat on the planet from an attack. Disorientation, fear, lack of experience. I didn't know there was always actually a Designated Survivor (for fun...look up all the past ones.). I'm a bit of a political and history junkie with a penchant for disaster movies...dovetailed nicely for me. Good combination of politics, geopolitics, Washington hi-jinx, action as they find the perpetrators of the dastardly deed.

Notes: The 1st 2 seasons were on network TV, so the scenes and language were appropriate. The 3rd season was picked up by Netflix, and they uncorked all the bottles of 'what you can't do on networks'. I can see why it was cancelled after season 2...it was rote. Too many episodes, and the sub plots were...plodding. Starting to get so righteous and 'we will do the right thing'...so much that it was an obvious nod to...recent events. No need to go there, but those old enough, think of MASH at the end...all exposition and hand wringing...no interest. TV's idea of the thoughtful, caring White House.

The 3rd season. Some of where they were going in Season 2 is there (social issues, marginalized individuals...I cannot get more explicit,) but there is actually real language for people who are stressed out and sleep deprived all the time. Deeply flawed characters and bad choices. Refreshing. I found myself caught up in this...and could not turn away.

One thing to their credit...they are NOT afraid of killing of major characters.

And another to their credit. They did not tie this up in a nice moral audience satisfying bow at the end of the series. You wind up uncomfortable, and finding a man who made choices that compromised who he was. Not bad in any way, but a man finally bent by the wind.

Watch the 1st episode. I found it ultimately worth the ride.

Ron

You sell it well. I burned out on Kiefer in survival dude roles watching 24 but maybe I need to reassess my avoidance here?

lmao just watched S1 today. it struck a balance between new and 24. i'm a HUGE fan of 24. i just watched all 9 seasons over the past 2 weeks for the 4th time.

i enjoyed s1. i don't sense any jack bauer here, and it's nice to see him in a different role. it almost feels like a swap as KS is on the other side of the picture in this show. i'm excited to begin S2.

i will say i watched S1E1 3x now, and didn't get past it the first 2 times. i was intrigued but just didn't want to watch it at the time. glad i pressed on. it's interesting at least.

You sell it well. I burned out on Kiefer in survival dude roles watching 24 but maybe I need to reassess my avoidance here?

I watched some of 24. I liked it. But the whole breathy Jack thing wore on me after a while ('we have to stop the <bad people who nobody knows about> from killing the President/world/US'...wheezing)

I'm not a huge fan of Kiefer normally, but he does well here.

I just finished S1 a couple of nights ago. I like it so far, and was roped in by the premise of the whole situation. I did notice it started getting a bit preachy by the end of S1, but I figure I'll continue watching it to see which way things go. I do find the actions (and dress) of the female FBI agent laughable, though. Watching her "sneak" through a building with her high heels clacking on every step just cracks me up.

I just finished S1 a couple of nights ago. I like it so far, and was roped in by the premise of the whole situation. I did notice it started getting a bit preachy by the end of S1, but I figure I'll continue watching it to see which way things go. I do find the actions (and dress) of the female FBI agent laughable, though. Watching her "sneak" through a building with her high heels clacking on every step just cracks me up.

Yeah. As someone who was part of 'that set', it's laughable a bit to me that Maggie Q is this badass. She's 5'2', maybe 115 pounds, and throws around big military types. She does well, but still...suspend disbelief I guess.

Season 2 is even more preachy. They throw in some good hooks, but they could have culled it down to 12 episodes and it would have been as strong.

Back
Top Bottom