Chef's Rebell Yell

Great work!!

1. Really liked that crazy synth chorus patch, don't care that it cuts off suddenly. It's awesome.
2. Whammy rise... omg. Almost a full octave higher than the original. Sick.
3. Great job on the solo, very exciting!!!! The raygun effect was worked in really smoothly.
4. Nice vibrato! =D
5. Thanks for posting the patches!

Just made a new solo patch for this song. Old one was a bit raunchy and harsh - not very Steve Stevensy. I also wanted to redo the solo since the take I did for the first mix was a bit off. This patch is smoother and has more "schmo". I used the cab which Fremen recommended a few days back. It's called "Guitar Hack This One V30", you'll need it for this patch. I have used this cab quite extensively lately. It absolutely kills for high gainy stuff and sits really well in a mix. Great recording cab. So, thank you, Fremen - I salute you! Patch and cab below. I have the cab loaded in slot #20.

Nice tweak. :)

Super job, all around. And so excellent of you to share with the forum! Great to have practical examples of how tricks like compressor sidechain inputs can be used.

You're welcome ;) I wanted to try your presets today, but couldn't load them as I'm still on V7 (can't live without Axe edit :p )

8 is great. I have experienced some issues with AE and 8, but they're miniscule in contrast to the benefits of 8. I'm on OSX and AE is definitely still usable. But you're right about AE, the Axe is much more intuitive with it.

Great work!!

1. Really liked that crazy synth chorus patch, don't care that it cuts off suddenly. It's awesome.
2. Whammy rise... omg. Almost a full octave higher than the original. Sick.
3. Great job on the solo, very exciting!!!! The raygun effect was worked in really smoothly.
4. Nice vibrato! =D
5. Thanks for posting the patches!

Ha ha, thanks man! I love Bolt Thrower btw, grew up on Pantera and Bolt Thrower. :twisted

Nice tweak. :)

Super job, all around. And so excellent of you to share with the forum! Great to have practical examples of how tricks like compressor sidechain inputs can be used.

Simply bad ass to the bone!!!! Thanks for sharing the preset's i'll have to download and check theses out when the New Axe Edit get's released.

Thank you guys. Sharing the experience is half the joy. :)

Great job! Where can I get those backing stems?

I found them on a tracker site, but they're everywhere. Won't be that hard to find, I assure! :) These came of a full mix *.mogg bundle...

Last edited:
OK, I gotta try this live but I am still confused how to get the ray gun to work properly. Inside the solo patch contains the ray gun effect? If so, how does it engage and disengage when needed? I saw a post earlier in the week about mixing the sound with a mixer or something but since I am a newbie I didn't relate. Please explain in laymen terms for us new comers.
Thanks!

OK, I gotta try this live but I am still confused how to get the ray gun to work properly. Inside the solo patch contains the ray gun effect? If so, how does it engage and disengage when needed? I saw a post earlier in the week about mixing the sound with a mixer or something but since I am a newbie I didn't relate. Please explain in laymen terms for us new comers.
Thanks!

Hi there! I'm going to go ahead and assume that you have a foot controller or an expression pedal, possibly both. Here I have set this patch up for you to be controlled by "External 1", just as an example. In this patch you have two sound sources feeding the amp with a mixer in between. You will need to set them to work in an opposite tandem. Basically you are rocking your pedal and having two things happen at the same time: At the bottom position you'd have the guitar feed the amp. But as you rock the pedal forward you are turning the guitar signal down while turning the synth signal up. The synth is set to self-oscillate and you can basically think of it as noise generator - you only need to turn its volume up for it to be audible. You can also set the slopes steeper to really - cut - the sound off or just to set the off/on action to a switch on your floor unit. But the foundation for this is to have the two "channels" work in opposite tandem. The owners manual has a huge section on modifiers and controllers, called "7 Modifiers & Controllers". Pretty easy stuff, you can do it!! Best of luck to you! :D

Last edited:
Sounds great..

I've tried replicating your Raygun with my Ultra, but the same options aren't there on the Synth block so it sounds pants.. Any ideas how to do this on an Ultra?

Thank you! You only need one OSC. Set it to Square. The frequency button of the OSC, set it to controller LFO1 and set its values to min 150 Hz and max 3500 Hz. Now in the controllers window, set the LFO1 rate to 11 Hz. Run that into the amp in your patch... That'll get you in the ballpark. Tweak to taste.

Last edited:
Thank you! You only need one OSC. Set it to Square. The frequency button of the OSC, set it to controller LFO1 and set its values to min 150 Hz and max 3500 Hz. Now in the controllers window, set the LFO1 rate to 11 Hz. Run that into the amp in your patch... That'll get you in the ballpark. Tweak to taste.

Thanks for the tips, although I still can't get it to work :( I can't get any sound from the synth block unless i connect it back to the guitar signal.

Chef, do you think enough has changed since you created these that a revamp for firmware 10 is called for on these amazing presets of yours? As always thanks for being one of the guys still shouting the 80's from the rooftop brotha!

Chef, do you think enough has changed since you created these that a revamp for firmware 10 is called for on these amazing presets of yours? As always thanks for being one of the guys still shouting the 80's from the rooftop brotha!

80's man; My no 1 soul brotha', like no otha'!! :D I'm keeping the patches on the down low, for now, because I know that any patch I'll make with the front panel I can make 10 times better with AE. It comes to a point when I just want to throw the Axe into the wall - the front panel is for my work flow very straining and frustrating... But don't worry, once AE3 hits the shelves, I'll start sharing and taking requests again... There will be lot of retro 80's tones - I guarantee.

Cheers MG!!! I hope all is well with you and your family. Have a great summer! :)

80's man; My no 1 soul brotha', like no otha'!! :D I'm keeping the patches on the down low, for now, because I know that any patch I'll make with the front panel I can make 10 times better with AE. It comes to a point when I just want to throw the Axe into the wall - the front panel is for my work flow very straining and frustrating... But don't worry, once AE3 hits the shelves, I'll start sharing and taking requests again... There will be lot of retro 80's tones - I guarantee.

Cheers MG!!! I hope all is well with you and your family. Have a great summer! :)

I can't fault you for that my brotha so that sound good to me. Hope all is well with you too and I'll look forward to the floodgates opening once AE3 is unleashed on the world!

Back
Top Bottom