Billy Duffy's (The Cult) tone on Love Removal Machine

Alex EShadow

Inspired
Hello All,

Been working extensively through the weekend trying to come up with something that sounds remotely close to the guitar tone on Love Removal Machine by The Cult (Sonic Revolution album).

I'm using my LTD Eclipse w/ Duncans (supposedly Billy Duffy used Les Pauls w/ Duncan Distortions), the JCM 800 sim and tried every single cab I could from my collection, RedWirez (Got the Marshall 1960B and M/B Rectifier Standard 4x12s), Recabinet, and the stock cabs, and still couldn't seem to find a matching tone.

It's really hard to get that "airy" feeling you hear on the record, and no cab seems to get me any close to that 3D, dimensional, and powerful chordy opening riff sound.

I'd trade an arm and a leg for a patch that lands me somewhere close to it. Anyone care to share some love?

Best,

Alex

Here is some things I tried.

Full OD with 4558/diode
JCM 800 amp
Cabs stereo 30w and metal with mics U87 and Re16 also add a little air.
Delay just a touch.
Reverb again not too much.

Just an idea but you can try these :)

some of the air i believe is the gretch hollowbody he used on some of that stuff as well. i dont think you will have any luck replicating that without the guitar.

Alex EShadow said:
Hello All,

Been working extensively through the weekend trying to come up with something that sounds remotely close to the guitar tone on Love Removal Machine by The Cult (Sonic Revolution album).

Isn't that song on Electric? Is there an album I'm missing? I'm a huge Cult fan who just saw them a month ago. Agree the Falcon will have a good deal to do with the tone. When I saw them this is why he used the Falcon for all the songs from Love (they played the entire album in sequence) and then he switched to Les Pauls.

My bad, confused Electric and Sonic Revolution because I thought Rick Rubin's one was Sonic Revo.

Full OD with 4558/diode
JCM 800 amp
Cabs stereo 30w and metal with mics U87 and Re16 also add a little air.

Gonna give those a shot. Didn't try adding an OD pedal since the sound is pretty much clean, but who knows? =)

Thanks all for the replies

Hello All,

I'm using my LTD Eclipse w/ Duncans (supposedly Billy Duffy used Les Pauls w/ Duncan Distortions), the JCM 800 sim and tried every single cab I could from my collection, RedWirez (Got the Marshall 1960B and M/B Rectifier Standard 4x12s), Recabinet, and the stock cabs, and still couldn't seem to find a matching tone.

It's really hard to get that "airy" feeling you hear on the record, and no cab seems to get me any close to that 3D, dimensional, and powerful chordy opening riff sound.

I'd trade an arm and a leg for a patch that lands me somewhere close to it. Anyone care to share some love?

Best,

Alex
This song is a Les Paul into a Marshall. Not his Gretch setup at all. Air is a combo of close mic and ambient (room) mic.
cool

Back
Top Bottom