Bill Lawrence has passed away

Womac911

Inspired
Over the years, Bill had became a good friend. We spoke for hours about pickups, eddy currents, magnetism, old vs. new, etc. He'd rattle mathematical equations in my ear all day long, if I'd let him.
At some point, Bill develoeped Cancer... I'm not sure of the details, but he fought it tooth and nail, I'm sure.
I'm told he was talking guitars, pickups, right up till the very end.

I first met Bill and beck in person at NAMM 2004. And promptly developed a crush on their daughter. Unfortunately, I never saw her again after that NAMM.
The first time I spoke to him, he called me while I was in the shower... we spoke pickups for at least an hour while the shampoo dried in my hair.

The last time we spoke, only a couple months ago, was about seeing if he and Becky would join Lollar Pickup's fight against the Rickenbacher Horseshoe Pickups trademark lawsuits.

Hard loss for us to take. He was quite a character.

From the website:

With great sadness in our hearts, the man we know as Bill Lawrence in the music industry passed away on November 2, 2013 at approximately 9:20AM.

Bill was a strong and courageous man. Even in his last few days, Bill fought to live. He'd talk about Music, Pickups & Guitars -- and Life, and we, at his company, were still working because this is what Bill Lawrence wanted to know -- that his company & legacy is carrying on as usual.

We will miss the Bill Lawrence Mighty Force. Bill brought so much, and he wanted to stay here on earth to keep giving. One thing, yesterday as preparing the necessary paperwork, required is Designation of Race. In Honor of Bill Lawrence and his wishes, we included Human.

A Memorial Service is being planned later this week in Southern California. More details to follow.

Love, Becky

Bummer... F cancer.

I agree. Cancer took my mother earlier this year, just two days before I had to leave fro the NAMM show. Cancer also struck Seymour Duncan a while back, but he seems to be pulling through it decently, from what I can tell.
All that lead solder...

RIP Bill Lawrence. I dont know why but Guitar makers are always the nicest bunch of people I've ever met. Tis a shame another one's gone.

Last edited:
RIP Bill Lawrence. He created my favorite pickup the L500 dual blade humbucker.

Many years ago he came into Lado's store/work shop and made an arrangement with The builder to buy his pickups. I didn't know what Bill looked like until later.

RIP. I met him once when I was having problems with my guitar. He personally soldered the pickups for me in his shop. I stayed until midnight there. He's an amazing man and a huge loss for the guitar world.

I always thought that it was sad that more people didn't know of Bill and his contributions to instrument that we play today. You can look up his bio and read about where he worked and what he was involved in, but what I really appreciated was how willing to share knowledge he was. I spoke to him for the first time when he was very sick a few years ago. We were discussing a project that he was working on, but even as hard as it was for him to speak he spent hours on the phone with me. He didn't get back to me for months and then one day out of the blue I got a phone call. It was Bill and he had been hospitalized and he told me about the cancer. It was pretty bad, but the surprising thing is that he sounded vastly improved.

The project never got off the ground, but the time we spent talking were some of the most enjoyable I've ever had. I love music and the guitar and to hear the stories from a man who was there when all of this stuff was being created was something that I will always cherish. In a time when people have just been repackaging the same old PAF and single coil pickups and tweaking them Bill went far beyond that with the use of physics and electronics at a level that few people in the music industry possess. His noiseless pickup designs are in my opinion phenomenal and without rival. His blade humbuckers were truly innovative and if I remember correctly he had around 200 patents under his belt.

My sincerest condolences for Becky and Shannon who are both extremely sweet women in his life.

RIP Bill.

Had a few BL pickups during the metal 80´s. Very decently priced as I remembered and great sounding.

RIP and thoughts to family and friends.

Very sad news. I've built two parts guitars using Bill's pickups. Great products at extremely fair prices for what you got. Dealing with he and Becky was exceptional both times. Once I started talking guitar and pickup details with them, they treated me like a little mom and pop shop down the street that had known me all my life. Great people......my prayers go out to them.

I hope the family decides to keep the legacy alive..........

R.I.P. Mr. Lawrence,........thank you for your contributions to guitar! I totally enjoy your pickups!

RIP Bill, I've had some of his pickusp on my guitars, I love some of them, other I don't but however they were great.

Back
Top Bottom