Biggest struggle-dialing patches

Dirty145

Inspired
So, I invested in a Xitone Active wedge for FRFR monitoring. I am struggling to get the patches to translate. If I dial in on the Xitone and then plug into the QSC K10.2 to see how it would sound out front, it’s too boomy and muddy. If I dial in on the QSC, the Xitone is thin and not full sounding. The QSC is set to the default eq setting which is what we use for the FOH mix. The Xitone is set for flat mode. Is there no way to get it to sound good on both? What am I doing wrong?

Different speakers sound different. This is always the case. Same with real guitar cabs, as you may tell when choosing different IRs.

You might try using the Global EQ and turning it on or off as needed.

I think your ear is used to the QSC, I wouldn‘t compare there difference . I found the QSC made my ears bleed. You need to just find the sound of the Xitone then compare .the same patch wont work on both IMO

To me out front is most important, especially to ensure the guitar cuts through the mix. I use a QSC K10 as a monitor, for both my guitar and vocals. Can you send the signal to the board and an Aux back to the Xitone and use the Aux EQ from the board for it?

Are you putting the K10.2s on the ground? They (all speakers) will have more bass when on the floor. I have to cut out a lot of low-end out of my floor monitors at our mixer's monitor sends.

The Xitone was designed to account for this. Try the K10.2s on poles, like you would do for FOH. Tweak your presets for that first, then maybe use a little Output 2 EQ for the Xitones to get what you like onstage.

Most of the QSC cabs tend to boost the low end. The 12s even more than the 10s. Even though they are the "flatter" of many PA speakers, they still are EQ'd to some extent. So if you build your patches with this cab, then it is likely they will sound different with another cab or direct into your AI. I used the QSC 12's for a long time live and basically my presets were dialed in for those and really only those monitors. You could get lucky and a patch would sound good on another set or direct, but that is a maybe...maybe..

Most of the time I try to keep my amps pretty even in term of eq so that if I have to switch output sources then it will translate a lot better.

The QSCs are still a really good sounding solution as are the Xitones - I have had both and both work well.

How are you listening to each speaker physically?
Pointing straight at your head?
It is important to listen to them the same way.

ALSO...
Where are you setting your low & high cuts in your cab block.
Many start around 80hz and 6000-9000hz.

I literally have both speakers sitting on a chair about 10 feet or so from me. I have the volume up loud, probably 90-100dbs. This may be the most frustrating part. You dial in what sounds good and then it doesn’t transpose to the other speaker. What’s the point of FRFR if it doesn’t sound good at FOH??

How are you listening to each speaker physically?
Pointing straight at your head?
It is important to listen to them the same way.

ALSO...
Where are you setting your low & high cuts in your cab block.
Many start around 80hz and 6000-9000hz.
I actually stopped using cuts. Didn’t feel like I needed them with York Audio IRs.

I literally have both speakers sitting on a chair about 10 feet or so from me.
The wedge is designed to be coupled with the floor(automatic +3dB in the Bass range), the K10 is not. Keep the K10 up and put the Xitone down on the floor before comparing. If you HAVE to have the K10 low, make sure its in the floor wedge mode, but its really best to have it up on a pole above your head pointing slightly down like it would be at a gig. The difference should be able to be made up for in the out 1 and out 2 global EQ. you should be able to have great sound in both with the proper setup and global EQs.

Back
Top Bottom