AFIII Big Wreck - "Ghosts" - solo cover

MattBowman

FAS Social Media Advocate
I LOVE Big Wreck, and if you don’t know who they are, go download everything from them now! Singer/guitarist Ian Thornley is one of my favorite musicians, he’s got the perfect combo of incredible musicianship, astounding singing and songwriting! Basically Big Wreck is the best band that so many people, at least here in the states, tragically don’t know! This is my attempt at Ian’s solo on the song Ghosts, off the album of the same name. It’s not perfect, and my fingers are shredded after all these bends, but I had a blast figuring this one out by ear! Video is a play through, audio was recorded first and I found the backing track on YouTube. Preset was the same one as my last video(Beat it solo), gear was my Suhr Modern and Axe-Fx III into Logic(no post processing).

That was great.

One of the things that I dig about Thornley is he never hides how hard he has to work to be the level of amazing that he is. He's always practicing. I appreciate it when people I admire let me see behind the curtain so I can understand how much effort they put into being amazing.

That was great.

One of the things that I dig about Thornley is he never hides how hard he has to work to be the level of amazing that he is. He's always practicing. I appreciate it when people I admire let me see behind the curtain so I can understand how much effort they put into being amazing.
Thanks Ian! And yes I agree, he has basically the perfect combo of technique, musicality, songwriting, and man that voice...it's a shame they aren't as well known here in the US. I saw them open for Dream Theater in 97, been a fan ever since!

I'm sure maybe there are other influences at play, but every time I hear that solo I think, "Wow, Ian, your inner SRV is showing!" :)

It's an interesting blend of those big sustained blues bends with a number of "piquant" note choices. It's a great solo... Plus the bass line under that kills!

Nice job.

I'm sure maybe there are other influences at play, but every time I hear that solo I think, "Wow, Ian, your inner SRV is showing!" :)

It's an interesting blend of those big sustained blues bends with a number of "piquant" note choices. It's a great solo... Plus the bass line under that kills!

Nice job.
Thanks so much! There's a video of Ian being interviewed by the Captain at Anderton's, and he mentions somewhere in there that this solo had some SRV influence! This is a great watch if you've never seen it

sound awesome man,i checked out that band and to be honest didnt like the singer voice or the music,just not my music style,but what really matter is that you like that Band.

sound awesome man,i checked out that band and to be honest didnt like the singer voice or the music,just not my music style,but what really matter is that you like that Band.
:oops: that's the first i've heard that one(about the voice) haha.... but to each their own of course :) Ian's definitely got my favorite voice in any rock genre, however it's not for everyone. Thanks for checking them out at least!

Back
Top Bottom