BIG WRECK - GHOSTS Live at Suhr Party : Pure ear candy!

That clip is the reason I bought my first Suhr! I believe Pete Thorn had something to do with the live recording and/or mixing of that show. I could be mistaken but seem to recall him talking about it once.

Hahahaha was that in the late 90's-mid 00's? I think Ian had a bit of a rockstar phase, especially once he buddied up with Chad Kroeger. He was probably having a great time with life around then; had a few hit songs out, was writing with one of the biggest hard rock bands on the planet, starting his solo thing, etc. He seemed to have touched his feet back on the ground towards 2010 and then was like, "Oh yeah, you guys didn't know I can melt your faces? Ha! I'm more than a catchy chorus and some weird tunings!".

His voice changed around the same time, too. He shot up into that Cornell range around then. I remember thinking when I first heard "A Million Days" when he's wailing in the prechorus, "This dude sounds just like Cornell.....but not because he was trying to sound like Cornell, they're both just doing a harder version of Robert Plant." Dude's a phenomenal vocalist. Him and Ritchie Kotzen could take turns doing a Soundgarden tour and I'd buy a ticket to every show!

One of my favorite tunes of theirs. Another one that's chock full of amazing guitar tones and layers but you've gotta listen with a microscope because it's so damn smashed the snare and cymbals just distort everything. I remember when people started complaining about brickwalling I couldn't hear what they were talking about.....I had to ruin a few of my own mixes before I understood it and now it drives me up a (brick)wall.

WOW!

Big Wreck are my favorite band. I saw them open for Dream Theater in Atlanta back in 1997 and i've been a fan ever since. I was at the Suhr factory part the following year with Ian Thornley, Andy Wood and Andre Nieri, so badass!
I hadn't heard of Big Wreck before I saw them open for Dream Theater in San Diego and Hollywood on that tour. Monster tone, playing, and complex tunes that still grooved. It also blew my mind both nights watching the bass player play a 12 string bass doing this funky slap-slide thing on Oh My. Still dig both bands, but Big Wreck has been getting a lot more play time lately.

An amazing show. So well recorded and performed. He is insanely talented.

Their "But for the Sun" is the best album of 2019 IMO

MM

Wow interesting… the blown wide open linked a few posts up is the 2014. Both the recording and performance sound sooo much better to me in the 2015, linked below:

Wow interesting… the blown wide open linked a few posts up is the 2014. Both the recording and performance sound sooo much better to me in the 2015, linked below:

The band playing with Ian in 2014 was a bunch of hired guns (hence Pete Thorn). The 2015 group is the actual band Big Wreck. It obviously makes a ton of difference playing with a group that has a lot of experience with the song.

Last edited:
Big Wreck's first album is amazing..2nd album really good. After that they kinda lost me. IMO, they've had a few good tracks here and there since, but no real strong albums as a whole. It's basically the Ian Thornley band now anyways..with member changes all the time. He is a killer guitarist though.

Back
Top Bottom