Big Wreck - Digging In

I do know he has favoured the Suhr Rufus Reloaded pedal along with the Koko Boost. The Rufus is a very fuzzy distortion and has the octave effect.

This certainly sounds like him and probably is him:

Sean Meredith-Jones

That’s it right there.
detuned guitar
cleaner fuzz
nastier fuzz (starved bias germanium)
octave down effect

so standard with the Low E tuned down to A. That's where a lot of that octave vibe is coming from, he literally has octaves on the two low strings.
It’s weird, I was just talking to a friend that was saying if he played 5 string bass he would tune the B to an A for one finger octaves. Not sure how that low B would like being down that far.

I don't think it's an octave effect, he literally has an octave down on his low E string.
Maybe so. On the live vid it seemed it went even deeper during the middle section. Could have been the other guitar thickening things up. There’s definitely a bunch of subsonic stuff happening.

damn okay so a pitch block for octave effect but how do you get the fuzz to sound like that? I dont use fuzz much so struggle with it but that sounds cool
Someone help here If I wrong or know specifically which FX. But I’m pretty sure you can mess with transistor bias on fuzz FX. Lower it to get that sputtering splatty sound.
Edit:
oh and up the B+ voltage (gain) That’s how it’s done in the analog world. I will have to take a look to be sure.

Last edited:
Look on Page 37 of the FM3 Block Guide. Advanced Page. There’s a lot of fun to be had there if you like getting fuzz.
The Bit Reduce or even Bit Crusher may render something close. Like with that Suhr pedal it’s hard these days to know if it’s all being achieved in analog or some digital (modeling) aspect is being used.

Edit:
corrected page to 37.

Last edited:
That Suhr Rufus pedal only does octave up by the way. I don’t hear any octave below… just some extra low resonance on some of the notes.

Sean Meredith-Jones

That Suhr Rufus pedal only does octave up by the way. I don’t hear any octave below… just some extra low resonance on some of the notes.

Sean Meredith-Jones
Yeah, I don’t mess with dropped single low string tuning too much and don’t listen to much music that does so I get fooled. I missed the drop A tuning post at first so I was assuming at most it was drop C and some pitch FX to make it lower. Never heard of the song or band until now. Unique band. The vocal and lyrical content was nice.

I had some reasonable success dialing up a Suhr Badger Amp... up the drive. Hit it with either the Hard Fuzz or even the Fuzz Face. Go into the advanced controls and adjust the Bias control accordingly to control splattiness. If you want the octave effect on the Fuzz.... change the clip type to "FW Rect".

Sean Meredith-Jones
Revisiting this. How exactly would this be different from just using the octave fuzz drive type?

Revisiting this. How exactly would this be different from just using the octave fuzz drive type?
Actually not much... if any....lol. I actually have a Rufus right beside me. I can't quite replicate what it does but pretty close. When the octave is off, it strikes me as closer to a FF. So, if you were playing live and wanted the Rufus thing, one channel on FF and the other on octave fuzz.... or FF with the FW Rect.

Like someone said earlier, roll your tone down on the octave. The rufus does have a darker top end baked in. The Rufus octave doesn't splat as much as the Octave distortion... hard to describe. I did find reducing the bit rate and the sample rate helps too.

Sean Meredith-Jones

So I saw that he's using AADGBE tuning, so an actual octave down in his tuning, not using a octave down effect. What fuzz do you guys think is best to get this type of tone?

Back
Top Bottom