Big Wreck - Digging In

Jipps0525

Power User
How would one get the tone from this song at the 2:40 mark where the song breaks down? For FM3.

I can get the tuning with my variax. But it’s like a really smooth heavy fuzzy harmonized sound that I’m not too sure how to get

Interesting. So just from a guitar standpoint what is going on? How close can I get ?

There's another older tuner where there's a similar vibe and I saw a video where Ian Thornley talked about it.

Use a fuzz pedal, roll the tone off on your guitar and include the lower 5th on the chords (the same fret as the root note but one string lower).

There's another older tuner where there's a similar vibe and I saw a video where Ian Thornley talked about it.

Use a fuzz pedal, roll the tone off on your guitar and include the lower 5th on the chords (the same fret as the root note but one string lower).
i def hear some octave effect or harmonizing effect though?

I’m just listening on my iPad but I agree with iaresee; sounds like there’s a nice clean bass signal along with a fuzzed out one along with the guitar. Hard to tell which is doing the heavy lifting in that section, but if you were to do it with a guitar only, I’d probably split the signal at some point and add a pitch block to drop the guitar down 2 octaves and add some fuzz to it.

Absolutely love Thornley's tones and style. He's a monster player. I watched him live in a small venue about 3-4 yrs ago and he's just incredible live as well.

That's some good work. I hear Led Zeppelin, STP, Rival Sons in this.

Possibly a pitch detuned, panned, splatter fuzz? TBH, IDK, but it might be a good guess.

I’m just listening on my iPad but I agree with iaresee; sounds like there’s a nice clean bass signal along with a fuzzed out one along with the guitar. Hard to tell which is doing the heavy lifting in that section, but if you were to do it with a guitar only, I’d probably split the signal at some point and add a pitch block to drop the guitar down 2 octaves and add some fuzz to it.
Different tuning as well right?

Live video for reference too. Lower tuning and octave is what it sounds like to me along with a thick guitar tone and thick bass tone like said above. Really wish we could get the isolated guitar track from that. Is that possible to get?

Reminds me of Muse. :) Folks ask about how to get them thick-ass Muse tones of Matt Bellamy
and don't always realize the meaty and fuzzed out bass tones underneath it all.

I do know he has favoured the Suhr Rufus Reloaded pedal along with the Koko Boost. The Rufus is a very fuzzy distortion and has the octave effect.

This certainly sounds like him and probably is him:

Sean Meredith-Jones

I had some reasonable success dialing up a Suhr Badger Amp... up the drive. Hit it with either the Hard Fuzz or even the Fuzz Face. Go into the advanced controls and adjust the Bias control accordingly to control splattiness. If you want the octave effect on the Fuzz.... change the clip type to "FW Rect".

Sean Meredith-Jones

Back
Top Bottom