Big wave of buyer's remorse.....help calm me down.

I went through a bit of apprehension when I bought by FX8 but knew if it didn't do what I wanted it to I could return it in 15 days. Ended up loving it and was going to jump on the AX8 as well but I've decided my next purchase will be the Axe Fx XL+. The tipping point for me was the virtually unlimited CPU, dual amps and recording interface. I haven't had CPU issues with the FX8 and I know that recording can be done with the AX8 but the XL+ will do what two AX8's together can do plus much more.

I have a II XL and it's by far the best purchase I've made. I'm more satisfied with my tone than ever and the options are ridiculous. 2 years in and I'm still discovering new things about this box (things I never thought I'd be using). That, and the support / updates / etc. are amazing.

I'm a bit of a fan boi, but Cliff really does spoil us.

And at the end of the day, it's not like you're going to have a hard time selling it if you find it's not for you.

I felt a bit like that when I first ordered my Axe-FX Ultra 8 years ago. Then it showed up. LOVED that thing from first play and the last shred of buyer's remorse vanished. I used the hell out of it constantly for the next 3 years until my Axe-Fx 2 arrived.. I had NO buyer's remorse at all for the 2, because I knew better by then.

Since then I've sold off my Ultra, Axe-2, MFC and my FX8.. I kept only the AX8. I don't need anything more atm.. but there is virtually no chance of me NOT buying the Axe-Fx III, or the AX-16, or whatever magic they conjure next. Besides, Fractal resale value has been great and they all sold really fast since so many people want Fractal stuff.

I don't think you'll regret it.

The AX8 does look like a nice package, but when I started seeing a few boards pop up with Strymons and H9s attached to 'offload' some of the burden on the CPU, then I started losing interest. I haven't played around with one yet, so I'm not sure if I'd hit the same restrictions, but I like knowing it's a non-issue with my AX2 setup. Portability was the main draw card of the AX8, but not if I have to come up with 'work arounds'.

Dude. You have been posting angst filled query after angst filled query here for weeks and in all of them it is way too clear that you are too stuck in your own head about this. Unplug from the net and try to defuse your OCD; it is not the end of the world, it is guitar gear. This stuff all has solid resale and you are not stuck in any way if you do make a mistake. I doubt you will regret getting the rack unit. It is the best guitar processor on the planet.

Have to agree here. I noticed the OP posted the same exact thread on TGP, which I thought was odd.

OP -- assuming you aren't spending your kids lunch money on an Axe Fx, why would you have buyers remorse? And why are you seeking so much validation of your purchase from strangers online, for a product that only you can decide if you like? And if you don't, you get a full refund.

Maybe, wait until the Axe arrives, play it, and decide if you like it.

I was on the wait list for an AX8, but decided to grab one the the NOS XLs back in February. Like you, I tried to convince myself that the AX8 would be all I needed.that I couldn't really afford an XL+ and that I wouldn't need all the extra features. However, I realized that even if I had an AX8 and loved it, I would always wonder if I was missing out on something more and would still be dreaming about an AXE FX 2.

I have no regrets about going for the XL. After 4 months, I am still in awe with how perfect this thing is.

I bought two!
I find that even when I don't feel like playing, I can click on some Axe FX preset I don't normally use, and follow a completely new path.... Once again, the clock speeds up and the day/night disappears. No other digital gear has ever done that for me.

Thanks
Pauly

I bought two!
I find that even when I don't feel like playing, I can click on some Axe FX preset I don't normally use, and follow a completely new path.... Once again, the clock speeds up and the day/night disappears. No other digital gear has ever done that for me.

Thanks
Pauly

Unfortunately two was not in the budget...maybe if the startup I work for really takes off...

First world problems ;)

Look on the bright side. Life is good if this is the main troubling issue. When you start to make music with the thing, you won't regret it.

You made a great choice you wont even think of buyers remorse again the second your blowing the paint off the walls.. I could write a full 50 book set about buying things I should not have.. Tube amps cabs guitars ect.. what I can tell you is the axe would not be in those 50 books. The only regret I have is I did not have this in the 80s..But It was not the time for it and nothing worthwhile is easy.. You will get everything back and then some ten fold.. Next time you are in a mirror lean into it and point and say how proud you are of yourself for being so smart then you scream BE GONE BE GONE and those self doubting thoughts will fade. To really make them vanish forever start reading the manual now and read each thing 7 times and just take it for what it is and accept it and move on... and get ready to be really F~ing happy alot.. did I say that outloud.. Axe edit will be your friend but do learn both ways of programming in case you are not around a pc or mac and need to do something you will be able to handle both.. relax take it easy burn one have a cool drink go into the mirror again and visualize the joker face expression you wont be able to remove take a selfie now and be thinking of your current sound so you will know that this does not wear off so you need to prepare yourself..

I recently bought a PRS custom 24 and an Axe fx XL+ in The space of 2 months. I have no reason to buy this stuff , I'm a fraud, I'm not good enough or intelligent enough to own this stuff or spend a total of 5 months wages on it.

I often make a noobie brainless ass of myself on this forum and others but it's part of the steep learning curve I have dedicated myself to.

That being said the ceiling has been reached, I'm content and ready to get down to business (as much as time allows)

I don't even know what a pre amp does but I can write a pretty melody I can at least be proud of.

Like I've said its a steep learning curve. Your going to be tweaking for days and months, you might get nowhere and regret buying this stuff but one day it'll all come together.

Give it a year and see how it goes. It's not a quick fix solution but a long term investment.

As many others have said in here, my Axe is my ultimate favorite piece of equipment. I too had a little bit of buyers remorse when I got mine because I was on the wait list for the Ax8 when I saw an opportunity to get a used MKII. I was concerned with questions like yours, worried that I didn't need to spend the extra cash on the mkII when the AX8 was more than enough for me. Now that I have had my MKII for awhile I am completely confident that it was the right way to go for me mainly because of preset switching in the middle of songs...

There is always a little bit of a drop out when switching patches. It is minimal but it is always there. This is something that bugs that crap out of me. The only way around that is to essentially set up 2 patches within the same patch using the 2 different amps and then either use scenes to turn on / bypass what you dont need or use an expression pedal to pan back and forth between the 2 chains. This gives you a seamless transition between tones within a song. Since the AX8 doesn't give you the ability to use 2 different amps in the same preset, you can't set up patches like this.

When I realized this, those nagging little doubts that I had completely vanished. I simply wouldn't have been happy with the AX8 because of that one limitation.

You cant go seamless morphing from a totally clean amp to a fully high gain usng 2 amps and mixing and blending with an AX8 and if yoy have some extra money and buy the led scrible super midi floorboard with even more options (see Yek) and flexible options you will be glad you bought the axe fx ;)

you will love this piece (although ax8 will have same sounds, the extra options and cpu power in the long run will definitely be worth it!

I would not trade my axe fx2 mkii for a ax8, but i will go for an xl+ or definitely an axe fx 3 with even more horsepower ;)

Back
Top Bottom