Big wave of buyer's remorse.....help calm me down.

You will love it. The buyers remorse may even last for a few days after you receive it. I had buyers remorse for about a week. Then I started to get comfortable with the unit and realize that my GAS (Gear Aquisition Syndrome) was a thing of the past and the doors of guitarinfinity had opened up before my very brain, and the remorse dissolved.

I had buyer's remorse when I first got my XL, but it was because the factory presets were just horrible in my opinion. They were nothing like the clips and videos I had watched before buying. It took me a couple of days to start out tweaking my own presets from scratch and surfing the incredibly helpful forum to figure out more about the unit. After less than a week, buyer's remorse was gone because I had some of the best tones I have ever witnessed in my life! I got my XL when it first came out and am glad I bit the bullet. Every time I play an amp at a friends house, or at a shop, I think man, this thing doesn't give me nowhere the flexibility I have with my Axe.. Outside of my custom built guitars, the Axe is hands down the best gear purchase in my life. Now Cliff just needs to build a talent simulator into it :D

I will tell you what remorse is. It is to live in a country that you have to pay upfront 60% on importation fees, plus the shipping fees + the importers profit. Did I mention our currency rate? Long story short is that Brazilians have to pay a lot of money in order to own good guitar gear. I own a MKI Axe FX 2. I wish for a AX8 for the road, but I have to wait for my next trip to the US and who knows....

You want anxiety and buyer's remorse? Try this on for size: you've just purchased an item online only to find out later that the vendor has screwed over 90% of the people who order their products. THAT, my friend, is worth getting anxious over. In a worst case scenario, you try for the 15 day window, and return it for full refund if you don't like it, for the cost of shipping. In the meantime:

4373759.jpg

Do you consider yourself a serious guitar player? I don't mean a professional, but just someone who loves to play guitar and wants to do it to the best of your ability? If so, then investing in something long range is smart. Giver yourself room to grow. With the XL, you will NOT get bored and start gassing for more next year.

I'm a couple of years (or more? heck.. where did time go?) in with my XL now, and the way i use it has evolved. I can do more now than I used to. As I went along... I would get ideas and think... I wish I could... and then I'd figure out (or ask about) a way to do it... all without spending a dime on new gear. That NEVER was the case before the AxeFx. I was constantly spending money on a new gadget or stompbox.

Pulled the trigger on a XL+ a couple days ago. Hasn't even gotten here yet and I am already feeling a huge wave of buyer's remorse. People may be familiar with my past posts about having a hard time deciding between an Ax8 and a Axe Fx 2.

I ordered the XL+ and a rack case for it, but now have been overcome with a wave of the following thoughts:

"Maybe the Ax8 would have been the smarter choice. Unit, Interface, and Monitors for the same price as a XL+"

"But the Axe Fx would give me those awesome Tyler Grund SRV tones."

"Will I really use the dual amps?"

"But I won't have to worry about CPU trouble with the Axe"

"Although my tones are pretty basic.....Amp, Cab, Delays, Reverb. Extra modulation as needed."

"But the Axe would let me play around more, with complicated chains....Would allow me to explore and make wild sounds."

"And the Axe Fx has tone matching which can be useful"

"It's better to buy the best you can afford....better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it..."

"But its sooooo expensive.....I feel like besides the Tyler Grund presets, I'd use chains that an Ax8 could easily handle."

"But who knows about what I'd like to try in the future....I could literally recreate any rig with an XL+"

Constant struggle....

I am 63. I wish I had A nickel for every dollar I've spent. Lifelong quest for tone. I got the XL when it came out. The GEAR part of the quest is over. Period. It's a cool feeling having everything you want. That's my story. You pulled the trigger, so it might be best to embrace it, love it, and keep moving forward.

Pulled the trigger on a XL+ a couple days ago. Hasn't even gotten here yet and I am already feeling a huge wave of buyer's remorse. People may be familiar with my past posts about having a hard time deciding between an Ax8 and a Axe Fx 2.
Dude. You have been posting angst filled query after angst filled query here for weeks and in all of them it is way too clear that you are too stuck in your own head about this. Unplug from the net and try to defuse your OCD; it is not the end of the world, it is guitar gear. This stuff all has solid resale and you are not stuck in any way if you do make a mistake. I doubt you will regret getting the rack unit. It is the best guitar processor on the planet.

Last edited:
Dude. You have been posting angst filled query after angst filled query here for weeks and in all of them it is way too clear that you are too stuck in your own head about this. Unplug from the net and try to defuse your OCD; it is not the end of the world, it is guitar gear. This stuff all has solid resale and you are not stuck in any way if you do make a mistake.
Solid observation and advice.

I had a burst of buyer's remorse. Once. Only shortly. Until my Axe FX II arrived. Then I was instantly cured and never looked back.

Once you've spent a few days with the AxeFX, you'll feel a lot more confident in your choice. When I ordered mine - along with the MFC-101 - it was a big purchase for me. I was a die-hard tube amp guy, and had a big board with boutique pedals. I also had a tour coming up within two weeks (!) and had to decide very quickly if I could have the AxeFX ready to go. Within 24 hours of receiving my AxeFX, I already had decided it was coming on tour with me, even thought it meant having to completely reconfigure every patch / scene in my show, and I had to buy flight cases for everything in order to be ready. I returned from that tour, sold all my tube amps and almost all of my pedals (I kept a few to build a "grab and go" board for jams and small gigs). That was a few years ago, and I've never looked back. The AxeFX is the best gear purchase I have ever made. It's amazing, versatile, and has made me a better guitarist.

There is a big community here, and each of us had to decide why Fractal gear is the right choice. If you need further evidence, look at the Fractal artist page. That list of big name pros covers a massive range of different music styles, and they could be playing through anything they want. They choose Fractal. All of the have killer tone, and talk about how the AxeFX is the state of the art.

AxeFX vs AX8? Really depends on form factor, and how you might use the system. The AxeFX is the flagship of the line, and you will never regret having that power. You chose well. Set up your new rig, buckle in, and enjoy the thrill of the ride.

I am a XL power user (2 in my rack used together) just played with the AX8 last week and was shocked at the power the Rack mount had over the AX8. If you want complex rigs you got the right product!

Relax all the Fractal products are the only NON buyers-remorse items i have ever purchased, Seriously

I'm in the same boat, going back and forth if should go all out or not. Just 5 minutes ago i got my invite for the AX8, so I think I'm going to go that route, and if it turns out that I need more power for crazy presets I'll just have to get an XL and form the Fractal Voltron.

I find my AX8 a little limiting. Every time I create or alter a preset I am constantly worrying about (or finding a way around) going over the CPU limit. The AX8 is a great back-up to my AxeII and an easy-to-carry alternative; but even the more reverb and delay laden presets that use any pitch shifting (all common for current P&W gigs) will have you scratching your head trying to figure out how to do it (and what you can do without) to make it work on the AX8. My only regret about buying the AxeII is that I no longer have any interest in going to music stores to check out amps or effects. I used to really enjoy doing that, but those days are over since I got the Axe.

I only skimmed your post . . . but I've never loved a piece of guitar gear the way I love my XL. Not only is it on par with all the best tube tones I've dialed, but I can get tones I could only imagine before.

Back
Top Bottom