Big shout out to Line 6 Powercab 212+ as an amplification solution for FM3

Simon Godden

Inspired
Just to say I always really liked the feel of the 1x12 Powercab I had, but it was running maxed out to keep up in rehearsal in a fairly loud twin guitar classic rock band.

I sold the 1x12, got the 2x12 version (which is pricey I admit), and everyone was blown away with the FM3/Powercab combination at rehearsal last night. The other guitarist is a die hard valve guy, and he just couldn't get over how good my JCM800-based preset was, with lush stereo chorus and delay, as well as just the straight up JCM800 rhythm and lead tones, which are pretty much from Austin Buddy's Live Gold presets with almost no tweaking.

I know great results are possible with FRFR, but this is the amp in the room solution that works for me, and could be good for others who for some reason don't get on with FRFR. The speaker simulations on the Powercab are amazing to my ears, and complement the stunning sound quality from the Ares modelling engine. I can't really put my finger on it, but this has worked better for me than poweramp and cabs.

I might not buy any more gear...... but then again.....

Guitars... there's always room for more ;-) Glad you found an FRFR you dig.

Totally agree. There is an Eastman SB59/V locally, I need to check it out.

The Powercab is not actually FRFR, although you can run it as one if you choose. It has speaker emulations, NOT impulse responses. It just works better for me.

I guess at the end of the day, the speaker emulations are just EQ curves over whatever neutral sounding speaker they chose. They work really well to my ears.

The Powercab got killer reviews from one of the magazines that reviewed it when it first came out.
It never seemed to get much attention on this forum however
Now I am very intrigued!!!

"I might not buy any more gear...... but then again..... "

The biggest lie ever told. :smile:

You mentioned not using the FRFR mode, what speaker setting(s) are you running? These look like a good way to offload cab sims to free up some DSP for the FM3. Loading 128 IRs, the built in speaker emulations, and midi to be able to change them sounds like a really great addition to any modeler.

So you're using AB's presets, but with the PowerCab speaker simulations instead of the IRs he suggests?

Yes that's right - at home in the studio I'm using the IRs through my studio monitors, but live I'm globally disabling IRs and using the Powercab's speaker settings (not IRs). I just use whatever feels right. I'm a 90% classic Marshall amp guy, so I just use V30s or Greenbacks, or a combination of the two. Sounds great - full on amp in the room feel, and plenty of compliments on the tone.

It's the happiest I've been with an amplification solution, but I am not a good user of EQ, and others probably do a far better job of sound engineering than I do.

You mentioned not using the FRFR mode, what speaker setting(s) are you running? These look like a good way to offload cab sims to free up some DSP for the FM3. Loading 128 IRs, the built in speaker emulations, and midi to be able to change them sounds like a really great addition to any modeler.

V30s, Greenbacks, or one of each (with it being stereo 2x12 you can mix and match).

Yes it's ability to load IRs is great, but on the other hand they take very little CPU on the FM3. I have not tried FRFR or IRs on the Powercab yet. As mentioned in a previous reply, I've never been very successful with that side of things - I need to improve my EQ skills.

Just to say I always really liked the feel of the 1x12 Powercab I had, but it was running maxed out to keep up in rehearsal in a fairly loud twin guitar classic rock band.

I sold the 1x12, got the 2x12 version (which is pricey I admit), and everyone was blown away with the FM3/Powercab combination at rehearsal last night. The other guitarist is a die hard valve guy, and he just couldn't get over how good my JCM800-based preset was, with lush stereo chorus and delay, as well as just the straight up JCM800 rhythm and lead tones, which are pretty much from Austin Buddy's Live Gold presets with almost no tweaking.

I know great results are possible with FRFR, but this is the amp in the room solution that works for me, and could be good for others who for some reason don't get on with FRFR. The speaker simulations on the Powercab are amazing to my ears, and complement the stunning sound quality from the Ares modelling engine. I can't really put my finger on it, but this has worked better for me than poweramp and cabs.

I might not buy any more gear...... but then again.....
Simon I just got The Line 6 Power Cab + just started looking at Fractal I’ve used Helix Native, STL Amp Hub, TH-U through it and have gotten some pretty decent tones still think it lacks a little low end. My question is do you think the FM3 will sound that much better with the Power Cab? Appreciate any feedback Thanks..

Their 2x12 is almost as much as a CLR and I found the CLR a much better solution.

How many speaker sims do they have now? There were only a handful when it first came out.

V30s, Greenbacks, or one of each (with it being stereo 2x12 you can mix and match).

Yes it's ability to load IRs is great, but on the other hand they take very little CPU on the FM3. I have not tried FRFR or IRs on the Powercab yet. As mentioned in a previous reply, I've never been very successful with that side of things - I need to improve my EQ skills.
Did you notice a big difference between the 1x12 and 2x12 Powercabs?

I'm using FM3 with Line 6 Powercab 112. I have used IRs and built in speaker sims. Both sounded great. There are 12 speaker sims in Line 6 Powercab. There are also 128 slots for custom IRs that can loaded. Powercab 212 is awesome but is a bit heavy for me to move it around.:)

My question is do you think the FM3 will sound that much better with the Power Cab? Appreciate any feedback Thanks..
I can't really say, it depends on your needs. The Powercab suits my needs well, as I find that I don't have to EQ it to get it sounding how I want. I've never been great at EQ.

But on the other hand, to play sizable gigs where you go through the PA, it has to be EQ'd anyway. If you can develop those skills yourself, then you will get great results through FRFR, and be in control of your sound when going through PAs at larger venues. And the sound guys will love you when they don't have to tweak your sound.

For just chucking on a stage and using like a regular amp, I love the Powercab. In theory a power amp and a regular cab should work just the same, but I just clicked with the Powercab.

Oh, and the mic simulated outputs at the back are cool. I used those at a gig before lockdown kicked back in, and the sound guy loved them.

I have not tried the 2x12 version, but the 1x12 version sounded like it had a blanket over it compared to the Atomic CLR. Very cool concept though.

I have not tried the 2x12 version, but the 1x12 version sounded like it had a blanket over it compared to the Atomic CLR. Very cool concept though.
Was that in FRFR mode or with the speaker simulations? I've never tried the FRFR mode, I just don't get along with FRFR at all. Speaker simulations sound great to me though.

Back
Top Bottom